another junk tranny

Iamdone

Our 2013 Cmax trans developed a small leak from the left side axle seal on the trans.  Took it to the dealer to fix it.  We got it back from getting fixed and we had a really bad leak from the seal. I checked out the up and down play in the axle and there was 1/4" of play in the axle now.  Took it back and the dealer discovered the roller bearing outer race moving up and down 1/4" in the case.  The tranny is blown at 157K miles.  Called Ford Customer service and they won't do anything for us.  So we have a throw away car.  It doesn't make sense to replace the trans.  Thanks Ford. 

Should have bought a Pryus I guess.

Anybody want to buy a 2013 Max with a blown tranny in Central MA

The joys of ownership. :)  These are the stories that makes one think about dumping a car once the warranty is up to capture whatever value is left in the car.  KBB says my car at 110 k miles is worth about $4 k on trade.  I only dump cars I don't like.  I like my C-Max. :)

Snowstorm is having his tranny (176 k miles) replaced presently with a used one with a warranty and IIRC for likely less than $4 k.  SS should be reporting back any day now on the replacement.  So, should one spend $4 k to replace a transmission on a car with 176 k or 157 k or should one cash out of a "good" 110 k mile C-Max for $ 4 k because of the risk of a transmission failure or other possible high cost in the future.  

The economic decision likely favors spending the $4 k as a $30+ k new car replacement will likely depreciate more than $4 k the first year and the risk of another large expense on the "fixed" vehicle for the next year is low.  The "fixed" car now has several $000 in value and can be traded in an a year or two.  Cars depreciate yet most fail to recognize this in the economic analysis of fixing to extend the life of a vehicle or not fixing.

The financial decision is how fund a $4 k cost to replace a transmission.  Many will likely not want to throw $4 k at a car with 156 k miles and others can't.  Buying a replacement vehicle instead of fixing allows for financing over many years (spreading cash flow over time) and aversion of the risk of future high expenditures on the "broken" vehicle (allowing many to again sleep at night).  

Our 2013 Cmax trans developed a small leak from the left side axle seal on the trans.  Took it to the dealer to fix it.  We got it back from getting fixed and we had a really bad leak from the seal. I checked out the up and down play in the axle and there was 1/4" of play in the axle now.  Took it back and the dealer discovered the roller bearing outer race moving up and down 1/4" in the case.  The tranny is blown at 157K miles.  Called Ford Customer service and they won't do anything for us.  So we have a throw away car.  It doesn't make sense to replace the trans.  Thanks Ford. 

Should have bought a Pryus I guess.

Anybody want to buy a 2013 Max with a blown tranny in Central MA

I find your statement "Thanks FORD" illogical, in reality you should be thanking FORD for it lasting well past the end of it's Warranty. You haven't been making payments for quite some time. I agree with Plus 3 Golfer that it makes sense to replace the trans than buying a new car. It would have been wise to save the money you weren't  making on payments toward maintenance in the future.  IMO

Paul

Or if we bought a Pryus instead of a Ford, I would probably still have a car that I could drive or sell for a bit of money.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. :) I'd probably be a billionaire, if ................

You just mentioned a car I would not own having "tried" to buy one for several years prior to my C-Max purchase in Dec. 2012. I had high hopes that each new Prius version / model as it came out (especially the Prius V in 2012) would meet my requirements but they all failed after a test drive.

You made the decision to buy a C-Max. Look forward not backward in assessing what to do. ;) What if a 2015 low miles replacement transmission for $4 k would get you another 75 k miles (say 4 years). What would the depreciation be of a new Prius at 75k miles over 4 years - my guess at least 3X the $4 k and maybe more. That's likely at least $6-8 k banked (after accounting for sales tax on Prius and FE savings over the C-Max) to fund other maintenance items on the C-Max.

Look at Edmund's true cost to own the cheapest Prius and the most expensive Prius for 5 years at 15 k miles per year. IMO, depreciation after 4 years and 75 k miles would approach the total 5 year depreciation.

Depreciation (lowest cost) $4,963 $2,037 $1,928 $2,262 $2,141 Total = $13,331

Depreciation (highest cost) $7,695 $2,743 $2,596 $3,045 $2,885 Total = $18,964

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I also test drove the prius V, the  C-max is a lot better car but Ford seems to have trouble making reliable transmissions.  

My last 2 cars were explorer & c-max.  The explorers were also notorious for bad trannies but thankfully neither of my cars had any tranny problems so far.  I changed the trans fluid every 40k on the explorer.  Wonder if that would help on the c-max?

I think it is hard decision for people with a high cost repair to decide to put more dollars into their car when the replacement trans may face the same fate down the road.

I only drive about 8k/yr so I still have a couple years for my warranty.

Or if we bought a Pryus instead of a Ford, I would probably still have a car that I could drive or sell for a bit of money.

And you would have had to suffer for 6 1/2 years with a inferior car, where is the sense in that.  At $3500 to put a used trans in sound like a good deal to me.

Paul