fuel injection system cleaning service

On my Focus Wagon (2004 - with the Mazda 2.3L engine) I used to have issues with carbon building in the throttle body and the dealer seemed never able to resolve the issue (it would kick out a 'check engine' code). They would clean the throttle body and charge me $100. I asked them if there was a gas tank cleaner I could use.  No clue from the dealer.

I used several injector cleaners (Techron) that seemed to work but the one that worked the best was 'Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant'.  Removed the check engine code very quickly and it hasn't come back on as long as I put the recommended amount in 1-2 times a year (Jan. / June).

I bought it at O'Reillys - Protip: buy a small container AND the larger container - just refill the small container so you can more easily pour it into the gas tank. 

I've done it once with Max and will maybe follow the same schedule.  

Have a 2007 Focus Wagon that had such bad carbon buildup on the throttle body that it was difficult to depress the accelerator.  Got tired of 'slapping' pedal with my foot to accelerate and looked online for a remedy.  Found suggestions for significant disassembly $$$ and cleaning.  Finally just disconnected rubber boot from throttle body and wormed my fairly small fingers in there with a chopstick and rag and using plenty of throttle body spray cleaner dissolved the carbon, never again had a problem, over 20,000 miles ago.

Ha - JAZ.  I had exactly that problem from Day 1.  Complained to the dealer who sold me the car.  They were happy to charge me regularly to clean it.  7 years after I bought it on a cold Jan. day I had the same problem as you -- I ended up 'stomping' the gas pedal to get it started and drove it to an independent shop. They replaced the throttle body - cheap plastic piece of junk and you could see the marks where it dragged and

had caught regularly. At least it was not stuck at speed!   $350 to replace and the replacement has been fine (8 years). 

Should have been a warranty defect fix...the issue was apparent the first few months I owned the car and the dealer acted like I was the only person who had ever experienced this issue. 

• 2 years later...

I use Lucas fuel cleaner and it works great in cleaning CMAX fuel lines and injectors. I use 1/2 bottle per tank-full once every month or two:  https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-LUC10020-Ounce-Treatment/dp/B0006305RY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BS63B59JNO1X&dchild=1&keywords=Lucas+Oil+LUC10020+Fuel+Treatment+-+5.25+Oz%2C+Multi-Colored&qid=1635463285&sprefix=lucas+oil+luc10020+fuel+treatment+-+5.25+oz%2C+multi-colored%2Caps%2C68&sr=8-2

There are also larger bottles available (I keep and re-fill the small bottle because the spout on that bottle works well in CMAX fuel inlet)

Edited by Zathrus