Replaced ECVT With Salvage Unit

2 hours ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

Although the Energis are not specifically listed, the parts list shows a transfer shaft kit for both Hybrid and Energis (different gear ratios). AIso, the thread that lists owner's transmission failures has both listed.  I believe the issue is in both.  

One will likely want to install the latest transmission strategy to the TCM.  So, the installation program requires the info from the tag on transmission (strategy number and ID number) to be entered so that the latest program is installed.  Your guess is as good as mine if one installs a brand new transmission into a 2013 MY or a 2014 used transmission into a 2016 MY car without the "correct" strategy - probably nothing significant.

Also, the Energi models are shown and described in the diagnosis section.....if they were not affected, I am not sure why there would be a section talking about how to diagnose them:
image.png.2b01423d0b71099da481c5fcb185c69c.png

Edited by bigqueue
English

On 2/11/2020 at 5:04 AM, rowekmr said:

Does the trans R&R require any programming or just plug and play?

Do these issues affect the C-Max Energi? I only see the C-Max Hybrid mentioned in the TSB and the threads.

Yes the HF35 swap is plug and play.

The Energi’s have an even higher failure rate in the early years I recall from the thread on this forum that is tracking the failures.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 5:53 PM, dm.rusakov said:

Thank you so much! I ordered a transmission from car C-Max hybrid 2018 (NOT PLUG IN) with small miles. I checked through the oemfordpart website, the transmission numbers are the same (FG9Z-7000-N), my mechanic said that everything should work.  

So you were able to instal a 2018 transmission into a 2013 without any modifications?

My bearings were shot on multiple shafts. Tech says not worth repairing so I just ordered a 2016 transmission after trying your method of running both VIN's through the oemparts website to check for replacement transmission part #. I think I found that there was some sort of change during the 2016 year since they list a trans built up to a month then one built after that month but both have the same replacement #. Hopefully my repair goes as smooth as others on this thread.

Edited by rowekmr

• 3 months later...

Hello @stratosurfer, 

Hi All  

we have tha same problem with Ford C-Max 2013, hybrid. Just to make sure: does it mean that for this vehicle model we can use any trasmission from Ford C max hybrid or ford fusion hybryd (2013 - 2018)? Number of transmission and ford part number are not important at all?  Unfortunately we cannot find which ford part numer belong to our transmission number  DM 58 7000 CC... 

Thank you in advance for your respond!

Edited by MaryAnn

• 8 months later...

Hello,

Just performed replacement of eCVT on 2013 C-Maxd.

According to Ford repair manual the transmission strategy information needs to be updated in case there is a new transmission to come in place

("If a new transmission was installed, perform the Transmission Strategy Download.
Refer to: Transmission Strategy Download (307-01 Automatic Transmission - Vehicles With: Automatic Transmission - HF35, General Procedures). ").

btw, I have installed a 2016 transmission to my 2013 car, it runs and drives, no error codes of issues apparently but still wondering if this procedure needs to be completed.

Has anyone solved this issue before?

thank you for sharing experience!

Edited by Val

Thanks for this information. Unfortunately, I'm finding this too late for one of my 2013 C-Max. 122K miles tranny went out. Dealership said $7K to replace. I called a mechanic friend. He talked to his transmission guy. Said only Ford dealer can replace. I sold the car for scrap. $1500.

However, I have another 2013 C-Max with 102K miles. This will be good to know for the future. I now have to decide whether to dump it now while I can get some real dollars for it or wait until this happens again and try having a salvaged unit put in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all---I've just been reading this stuff as a precautionary measure as I've been driving a '13 SEL for 2 years now; got it at a very good price and love it, so would consider transmission replacement if it comes to that. It's at 86k miles now and expiration of the warranty is approaching with no apparent issues, at least non apparent to me.  As for the thread:  numerous mentions of leaks and checking fluid levels.  I'd welcome some amplification.  Where are likely places that leaks might be observed (besides the garage floor, which is fine).   Similarly, where to look to "check" fluid levels.  Finally, anybody got any stats on what % of these cars complete their useful life (would be 200k miles or so for me, typically) on the OEM transmission? 

Thanks-as a certified mechanical idiot I appreciate all the advice and commentary.

Leaks will likely show first on the big pan that covers the bottom of engine and transmission.  Take it off and check it and also the seams between the transmission housing sections and the line where it bolts to the ICE.

You can see the check level plug in plus 3 golfer's post here.  I got to it by turning wheels hard left then reaching in front of wheel and pulling up the rubber flap.  I also filled through this port with some hose and a funnel.  The actual "fill" plug is on top somewhere and, as best I could see, impossible to get to.

• 1 year later...