Ford Premium Warranty worth it...

dbunch304

Trying to help my Girl Friend out on a decision..

She has a  2013 C-max hybrid with 56000 miles.   It just ran out of the extended warranty at 50000.

Ford is offering the following:

Ford Premium Warranty.    Covers everything but Big Battery which has 10 years, maintenance and wear items

additional  3yr  or 36000     for  $2635  (Seems high to me)

10% down spread 18 months no interest

Is it worth it.     

My gut says it would be cheaper to fix issues as they happen.

But I'm not sure how much somethings cost to replace.  

Any input is appreciated.

Taken as a whole extended warranty companies charge enough to make a profit.  So if you buy enough of the contracts over the years you will probably lose money vs costs for actual repairs.  You might get lucky buying a contract and having a large repair especially with something that has poor reliability.  But then you shouldn't be buying something with poor reliability in the first place.  I don't buy them as rule and so I believe I have saved a lot more than what the contracts would have cost.  Plus they seem write the contracts with exclusions to save themselves even more money.

The rates posted in the Anderson link are comparable to what our Lincoln dealer quoted to add three more years to a 2015.  A different dealer was almost $500 more for the same coverage with no explanation.

While I agree with the pay-as-you-need-repairs approach, we had several failures on our 2015 MKZ 1 day before the B2B warranty ran out (and the car only had 26,000 miles).  Replacing the digital instrument pod would have been $1,000 so that convinced us to try the extended warranty.

When the lease on our 2018 C-Max expires we'll see how we feel about keeping the car at the time. It has fewer electronics aside from the hybrid drive line.

Thanks for the great info...

And yes, I know its a flip of the coin...

You might or might not have that expensive issue...

NO, the flip of the coin is a 50-50 chance. It probably more like hitting 00 on a roulette table if that.  I never had an expenditure with a car I've owned in the last say 20 years where I ever could have used an extended warranty.  I don't buy extended warranties.  I did buy Geico mechanical breakdown insurance (which is an insurance product regulated by states) and paid less than $27 a year ($200 deductible) for 5 1/2 years (hit 100 k miles).  So, that gives one an idea of how much that $1500 extended warranty really costs the seller. 

IMO, the best advice is to self-insure.  Take the money one would spend on all types of extended warranties (vehicles, home, appliances, electronics and the like) and invest it.  For many, a big repair presents a cash flow problem - where do I get the cash for a $3 k, $4 k, $5 k expense. So, the out is to pay smaller amounts for service contracts and extended warranties  Had one simply banked this money, they would have quite a nest egg after 20 years.