Now I Know Why Ford Isn't Making Any More Cars

jestevens

I had an opportunity to drive new fusion yesterday for a 120 mile round trip cruise.  They ought to rename this thing the Edsel Hybrid.  I was not impressed.  I had driven the older 2010 generation and EXPECTED that car to be slow - but I would have thought they would have improved the design in 10 years to be more responsive like the C-MAX.  It was not unlike piloting the Merrimack up the Potomac River I'm sure..numb steering and absolutely no throttle response whatsoever..I have no idea how much that car weighs, it took all I could do to get the speedometer to go halfway and then I was afraid to give it any more throttle fearing that the dead weight would achieve ramming speed on the way back down the hill .. I had it out of ECO mode and it was just horrible.  The one I was driving did not even have smart key locks - you had to use the FOB to lock and unlock the door.  It's a very nice car if you're not in a hurry.  C-MAX is everything this car is not, so what do they do - they discontinue it and replace it with the Ecosport and Escape Hybrid...  Gawd help me, I even like SYNC 2 better - when did I become a grumpy old man?

Edited by jestevens

• 3 weeks later...

The 2013 onward Fusion is pretty much exactly the same as the C-Max - same weight, same engine, same battery, same transmission. The only difference is a smaller cross-section and lower coefficient of drag. So any difference you're feeling in performance is purely psycosomatic. 

I can't agree with this. They did something different, and likely it is in software, with the Fusion Hybrid. When I bought the C-Max, I tested the Fusion and it did not have the same power as the C-Maxes I drove.Additionally, looking up 0-60 times, it shows the 2013 Fusion Hybrid as having an 8.9 sec 0-60 -- and test of later model Fusion Hybrids are also 8.5 seconds are higher. By contrast, the C-Max 0-60 times have been around 7.9 seconds. I'm not sure what Ford did -- particularly since they share the same powertrain -- but there is a clear difference in acceleration between the Fusion Hybrid and C-Max.