Catalytic Converter Theft

Miss415

Hi there- I bought a 2013 C max Energi a year ago (and love it) and was wondering if they get their Catalytic Converter stolen? It's epidemic in my area with the Prius. I park my car in the driveway and just had a camera installed but several neighbors have done the same and still fallen victim w/ their Prius. It wasn't worth it for them to replace so car ended up being a loss.  (Sorry if this is a dumb question) 

UPDATE: In California, the Governor just signed new legislation that will hopefully  stop or at least curtail Catalytic Converter theft

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41380161/catalytic-converter-antitheft-law-california/

Edited by Miss415
update on new legislation

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 1:42 PM, TankII said:

I added CAT-Clamps to both C-Maxes.  Since the entire CAT system is $2000 for the parts alone, I didn't want to chance having them stolen.

Could you share a few more details like cost? I'm in California & the governor just signed new legislation- see update in original post.

• 1 month later...

I don't think we need to worry too much about Catalytic converters on ours. A lot of other vehicles (including the Prius which I know people will compare to ours in this discussion) have them under the vehicle with easy access. On the C-Max, it is well up in the engine compartment attached directly downstream of the exhaust manifold. A lot more difficult to access in a quick fashion which will turn off majority of thieves. They would essentially need access through the top/hood open at minimum to cut it off on the manifold side.

Edited by cr08