My First decent highway ride.....and the hills in central Mass!

bigqueue

Well, I took a short highway trip today to Cabelas which is about 31 miles from home and I think is a pretty good test of how hills influence mileage. After all the reading about maximizing MPG, I went with a 65MPG trip using ECO Cruise Control.....and here is a representation of the elevation differences between where I live and Cabelas:

On the way there: (Car says I got 51.8 MPG)
image.png.d02d7368f6f12c7e95836e1040d228ff.png

On the way back:(Car says I got 38.9 MPG)

image.png.2b94486ec141b780d687315ca97cc3ce.png

I don't remember all the other numbers.....but this alone was a good lesson regarding how the car cruise control regulates speed and drives efficiently. As was noted there was a fair bit of Electric "boost" of ICE driving, but even more apparent, the car was very gentle on the accelerator....in BOTH Electric or GAS mode.

Don't worry.....I will not bore you with every little thing I find....and besides, it will all be second nature and boring to me at some point. ?

-Quentin

9 minutes ago, bigqueue said:

I went with a 65MPG trip using ECO Cruise Control

65 MPH trip? I found that terrain matters at all speeds. Somehow, the NYS Thruway gets lower mileage than the interstates in Ohio, where the car was purchased by my Father-in-law. We inherited it, so there were lots of trips to Ohio. Their rolling hills worked a magic that flat upstate NY highways can't. Now, get off the interstate and our terrain can be exploited. 

What did you use to create the charts? I've used a GIS-based system...

HAve fun,

Frank