2014 C-max Spark Plugs

Hi People,

I am reaching my 100k miles and will be due for new spark plugs soon, my manual states I will need the motorcraft  CYFS12YPC5/ SP531. Problem is, I can't find these plugs anywhere.

Even on the Ford website they are not available and they point me to the motorcraft SP530 plugs instead. Can anyone confirm that these are an updated version of the SP 531?? 

Thanks

I believe the main and likely only difference is that the 530s are iridium which among other different properties lasts longer than platinum.  https://www.championautoparts.com/Parts-Matter/automotive-repair-and-maintenance/Spark-Plug-Materials.html

Also, for those changing air filter, check the torque on your plugs.  Read my post and compare my pic with other pic above showing oil on plugs.

9 hours ago, Lacienega said:

If they last longer does that mean they will last longer than 100k miles ?

Champion says 25% longer than platinum. 125k miles ? Maintenance schedules are generally very conservative to begin with (OCI, filter changes, spark plugs and so forth).  

The best way to determine when to change oil, filters, spark plugs is to “measure” ‘the  performance of the item and estimate how such loss in performance will affect overall performance / additional future cost (difficult to do). For example, you can send oil samples for Used Oil Analysis. A UOA will likely cost more than a DIY oil change but oil performance can affect the “life” of ICE.

With respect to spark plugs,  one  can visually check, measure leakage from tip to ground, and monitor misfires with scan tool.  But, if one has to remove plug to evaluate whether to change at 100k miles, 125k miles, or 200k miles, one might as well just change them.  Also, remember that ICE might only run for 70% of the total mileage.  So, with iridium, it wouldn’t surprise me if one could get 200k+ vehicle miles or more on a set of plugs.? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I changed my plugs last night with the updated motorcraft sp 530 plugs, and guess what?? My car already had the exact same plugs in it. So they should have updated the 2014 owners manual. 

I have to agree with ptjones...the old plugs looked like they still had a lot of life left in them and the gap was looking good as well. 

I just thought after 101 500 ml it would be a good time to change them. Good thing they last that long, because it's a hassle to get to them. (air-filter assembly has to get off)

IMG_20200308_142443 2.jpg

Edited by Lacienega