High Voltage Battery Life

MJK

I'm about to buy a 2013 C-Max SEL Hybrid. Its in great condition and only has 64K miles. My only reservation is the life span of the high voltage battery. First, any issues with the battery? Second, if something needs to be replaced how expensive is it? Thanks for any info you may be able to offer. 

We have been referencing the attached for a long time.  AFAIK, no one has reported a HVB failure.  But, I believe there was one reported issue with the wiring to the cells which required replacement of the HVB wiring harness which is not covered by the Unique Hybrid Components warranty (8 yrs, 100k miles).  I don’t recall the costs, but battery needs removed to do work.  

As shown on the attachment, Ford projects the HVB to be above 80% SOC for over 200k miles (green line) based on lab tests.  Based on actual field test of NiHybride HVBs, Ford says the NiHybride HVB performs better in actual use than the lab testing.

post-167-0-38526400-1515341742_thumb.png

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

As the former owner of an Oct/2012 build, my only reservation is the transmission. They typically don't make 100K miles. Early high mileage cars like Paul's were all replaced early under full warranty. That's no longer supported. If it's still original, you may want to look into what replacement would entail, even if it's a few years before it fails. You'll get help here, but I would not buy an all-original 2013 without a plan. 

I loved the car, it literally changed my personality for the better. Failing to replace my 2013 with a 2018 (last production year) I am very happy in a new Escape hybrid, albeit at greater expense. The HVB is the last of your worries in C-Max Hybrid. Now, the HVB in a C-Max Energi (plug-in) is another story. 

Stay well,

Frank