Can anyone help me with removing the back seats of a C-max?

sillyhotdogguy

I am planning a long term road trip in a C-max soon and want to remove the back seats so that i can have more storage and build a bed platform in their place. 

also wondering if anyone had any experience sleeping in their c-max and using the the battery for ac through the night., what could you power? have any trouble with it running all night? 

also any clue how to disengage the front headlights when the vehicle is idle?

20 hours ago, sillyhotdogguy said:

I am planning a long term road trip in a C-max soon and want to remove the back seats so that i can have more storage and build a bed platform in their place. 

also wondering if anyone had any experience sleeping in their c-max and using the the battery for ac through the night., what could you power? have any trouble with it running all night? 

also any clue how to disengage the front headlights when the vehicle is idle?

I’ll look in the SM on seat removal.  I use AC with car on for up to an hour at a time for our dog when traveling when we stop for meals. It works fine.

I assume you have a hybrid and not the Energi. So, the hybrid battery has a very small usable kWh range between charging / discharging.    It will not charge full  (full is about 70% SOC ) with ICE  but only around 50 % or so and then ICE shuts down.  One may get about 15% usable SOC or so to run AC  and other load before ICE has to start.  The climate usage demand will depend mostly on outside temperature and set point temperature which likely yields between  250 - 400 Watts if Ambient temps aren’t too high.  Add the parasitic load when ICE is off, but car is on  - likely several 100 Watts - and the total demand might be around 500 -  800 Watts.  This means ICE might start around 3-4 times a hour for maybe 2-4 minutes each time. If ICE charges at 6 kW, it would take about 2 minutes to replace 200 Wh of energy consumed from the HVB (15% x 1. 4 kWh new HVB capacity).  These are nominal values and depends on climate conditions and set point temperatures of the AC.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

6 hours ago, sillyhotdogguy said:

Can you tell me your experience with running the electric motor and ICE overnight? how did it work? does the car stay on?

also i noticed that the headlights dont shut off. anyway to disable this?

What year car? Evidently your car has DRLs enabled.  On early MY C-Maxes DRLs, IIRC, were an option on fleet cars only.  One could thus turn them on / off with a Ford Software tool (dealer can do it) or by changing data using the FORScan application. https://forscan.org/home.html   I believe in 2017 and 2018 C-Maxes Ford made them standard at lest on high end models.  The owner's manual should tell you if the DRLs are configurable.

I don't believe 2014 MY had DRLs enabled from factory unless your car was a fleet vehicle.  I don't know whether MY 2015 had DRLs enabled but someone with a 2015 should know the answer.  Again dealer should be able to turn off DRLs in MY 2014 but will likely charge $100+ for a 10 minute job.  I'm fairly sure if you search the Fusion Hybrid forum and maybe the FORScan forum, someone has used FORScan to configure DRLs and the C-Max. Below is a link for a Ford truck using FORScan to configure DRLs. There are many online videos using FORScan.

DRLs are controlled by the BCM.  So, about the only thing you could do is to install a manual toggle switch in the head lamp low beam circuits. I am not aware of any fuses you can pull that would disable DRLs yet allow the BCM to perform its function while car is running.   Also, don't other daytime running lights also come on besides headlamps with DRLs?

• 4 weeks later...

Sillyhotdogguy,

Were you successful in removing the rear seats from your C-Max?  I am in the same place you were when you posted on June 30... long road trip in the works, need extra storage and would like to sleep in the car.  

I have the Energi model but have never tried to run a/c all night.  The Energi has a feature that allows for saving the charged battery for later.  You have to remember to engage this feature every time the car is started.

• 9 months later...