Connect to home wifi for Sync update

We have a 2013 Cmax Energi. The Sync version has not been upgraded on the car in several years. I do not even know if there is an available update. The car can connect to our home wifi, although it seems to have a limit on the length of your wifi password. I would have to do a temp change to our router password to connect the car. My question is, can I even update Sync this way? I do not want to go through the trouble if this is not going to work anyway!

If you're not the original owner then there may not even be a sync update to do--Ford updates it less often than you might think.

I think your best bet would be to write down the current version you have (can be found in the sync screens if you dig around a bit) and then log in at owner.ford.com, register your car's VIN number (if you haven't already) and see what version it offers there. If it's newer than the one you have now then you have the choice of doing it over WiFi or USB.

IMHO it's better to do the update via USB if you can. You need a USB flash drive and the process involves downloading the update, putting it on the flash drive, inserting the flash drive in your car and then turning the car on. 

The 5 year warranty extension (12M02)   on the APIM (Sync module) has expired for MY 2013.  So, there will be nothing on the Ford site to upgrade SYNC to the latest version 3.10 which IIRC was released in  Nov. 2016.  You will have to download 3.10  file from another source to a USB Stick and install yourself.  You will not be able to update Sync via your WiFi.   If you have 3.6 or 3.8 the only reason to update might be SYNC compatibility with newer smartphones. What version do you have?  See pic.

733E3AC9-2DE3-44DC-8CFF-0F0361D1DC9A.thumb.png.795484fa3fb64ae5b2d8c2e66d4f2143.png

@Plus 3 Golfer - you're saying Ford only allows you to download an update during the warranty period? That seems insane to me. I mean it's one thing for them to not release any new updates for vehicles out of warranty. But to not even allow people to download an update that was released years ago?

When did they start this policy? I distinctly remember downloading a couple different updates for my 2010 Mariner Hybrid--even as late as 2016 or so.

IIRC, Ford did not allow download of 3.10.  You had to go to the dealer for install.  If you were still under warranty, according to Ford reps on this site, one could go to dealer and have them install 3.10 free.  Some went to dealer, but dealer still wanted to charge for it.  There's a thread on this.  Also,  Ford for my 2013 showed that my C-Max and many others were up to date with version 3.6 (or 3.8) even though 12M02 had not expired for me.  So, it wouldn't surprise me now if dealer would not update to 3.10 even if you tried to pay them to do it. It's a liability issue for them.  The last update Ford allowed to be downloaded for my 2013 was 3.6.  Version 3.8 was out there but Ford showed I was up to date with 3.6. There was no way to download from Ford.  I downloaded 3.8 from online source, installed 3.8, and Ford site then showed I had 3.8 installed and again I was up to date when 3.10 came out.  I couldn't even go to a dealer and get installed free as Ford rep said.  Shortly thereafter, all Ford reps left the forum and we haven't heard from them since.?

It one is past warranty, 12M02 does not show up on the Ford Owners site so there would be no link to a download.  I would assume this would apply to everything as why would Ford allow a download which isn't covered under warranty.  It can only cost them $$ to fix if person installing screws up - liability issue. 

3.10 is out there on the internet if you search.  I found a copy and installed it.  Works fine for me.  The file was on the fusion forum.

I have been running it a couple years now.

Here are the file names that worked on my 2013 Hybrid. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 3.25.42 PM.png

You expand the files on a dos formatted usb drive.

Edited by homestead