Tire recommendations?

Izzy

Right now I'm comparing Vredestein Quatrac, rated for 40K miles but great in snow
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac Pro&partnum=25YR7QTPXL&tab=Survey

Continental TrueContact rated for 80K miles, not as good in snow
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TrueContact Tour&partnum=25HR7TCT&tab=Survey

and General AltiMax rated for 65 K miles, not as good in snow
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX RT43 (H- or V-Speed Rated)&partnum=25VR7AMRT43&tab=Survey 

Of course, we all know that CMax are never great in snow....

1 hour ago, ptjones said:

Comes down to whether you want good MPG's or good in the snow...

That's a false statement; stop misleading people.

I showed no difference in mileage between OEM and X-Ice III snows many times. You saw the data. Data should have changed your thinking.     

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Right now I'm comparing Vredestein Quatrac ...

I'd add the PureContact LS as a much better tire from Continental, and Michelin's CrossClimate+. Both offer superior performance to the Quatrac Pro/Quatrac 5 over a range of tests. 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=244

In both of these comparisons, the Vredestein shows poorly. In your link, it's compared with lesser tires, and looks good. That's a big caveat emptor. I can attest to the CrossClimate+ performance, having bought three sets (wife and kids). 

Stay well,

Frank

Edited by fbov

Frank, I notice that in the first tire rack review you linked, they mention in the preliminary summary that the Michelin is severe snow service-rated -- but they don't mention that the Vredestein is.  That's seems a bit biased.

That said, the Michelin does sound like a more attractive option; I'm just leery due to disappointing Michelin experience in the past.

51 minutes ago, Izzy said:

.... They don't mention that the Vredestein is (3PMS)

It is 3PMS rated.  From the review...

"To see how three new 3PMSF-branded tires perform and what, if any, tradeoffs come along with this enhanced snow traction, the Tire Rack team conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive comparing the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Michelin CrossClimate+ and Vredestein Quatrac 5 to one of the established favorites in the category, the non-3PMSF-branded Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus"

39 minutes ago, Izzy said:

... hubby wants me to try our local NTB

Find out what tire brands and models they'd offer to install, then look for reviews like TR's tabular summaries. It may give you some ammunition for a high-end tire, or you may find a great tire deal at NTB! Shop a little; it's free until you decide to buy something! 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

That said, I'm now driving the new Escape Hybrid, on Ecopia tires. They're universally panned, less than 5 of 10 rating for "I would recommend." I love them. That said, it looks like Ford got a unique tire, as this specific tire is P-metric size, and only OEM on the 2020 Escape. Surprisingly good in the snow (Jan. 2020 delivery) but then, it's AWD, too. I need to get miles on them, because it's easy to trade off life. 

Stay well,

Frank

1 hour ago, fbov said:

It is 3PMS rated.  From the review...

Stay well,

Frank

Yes, I saw that, but I was looking at this part:

Tires Tested

Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady (Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 94V)

• What We Liked: Sharp turn-in and a nimble feel on the track.
  • What We'd Improve: Could use some additional on-road refinement. Wet traction is just OK.
  • Conclusion: A capable all-around tire, but not a standout.

Michelin CrossClimate+ (Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 98V)

• What We Liked: Very strong wet performance and very capable on the track.
  • What We'd Improve: Noticeable tread growl, especially at low speeds. The ride was just a little firm for a touring tire.
  • Conclusion: Category-leading dry and wet traction in warm weather, and it's severe snow service-rated.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 94V)

• What We Liked: Sets the bar for on-road comfort and refinement.
  • What We'd Improve: Needs a sizable improvement in wet traction.
  • Conclusion: The ideal touring tire, until it rains.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 (Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 98Y)

• What We Liked: Impressive and easy to drive in the wet, fast in the dry.
  • What We'd Improve: Could use a reduction in both tread noise and impact noise.
  • Conclusion: A good Grand Touring All-Season tire with very few compromises.

Why didn't they mention that the Vredestein is also severe snow service-rated?

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Why didn't they mention that the Vredestein is also severe snow service-rated?

I think the point was that, in this group, the tire with the best summer performance also works well as a snow tire, too. It's what attracted me.... 

Enjoy the Conti's!

Frank

Whatever you decide on please make sure they are low rolling resistance tires (looks like PureContact LS have "EcoPlus" so you should be good)  -- except maybe if you are interested in snow tires.  I made the mistake of buying non-LRR tires for a hybrid once..bad idea..

All season radials are fine here in Central PA, we measure snow in inches.  I had the P7, they were okay -- a little wierd -- they would slide around a bit until they "bit into" the snow and then they were fine.

Edited by jestevens

Having had two sets of Goodyear Assurance tires, I was not impressed by those (poor wear and all delaminating).  And our OEM Michelin energy tires that came on both our cmaxes = getting louder/cupping, so will steer clear of those too.  My next tires will be NTB house-brand (TBC epic or aspen or similar); while cheaper, I have a set of epics now and while i don't expect long wear, I've been happy with those to try again.

Tire prices have gotten ridiculous and the more expensive ones I've tried the last 20 years have been hugely disappointing.

Greg

Edited by grege

If you are having issues with Michelin ES you aren't cross rotating them often enough. I'm on my 4th set with 260k mi. on the CMAX and they should last 70k-80k miles. If you know how to drive in the snow, they may not be the best, but they work fine for me.

Comes down to whether you want good MPG's or good in the snow. Best solution is Michelin's Energy Savers for nice weather and snow tires for the winter. Michelin's are pretty cheap when they last 80k miles.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:27 PM, fbov said:

That's a false statement; stop misleading people.

I showed no difference in mileage between OEM and X-Ice III snows many times. You saw the data. Data should have changed your thinking.   

Stay well,

Frank

Sorry Frank but I don't know how you do it. Are you comparing Michelin's ES in the snow vs Snow tires? In the dry all testers found Michelin ES the Best for FE.

Paul

Clipboard01.jpg.d83fe7a60370f9feed63dbb33c4e39cc.jpg

This is from 2014. Baseline was my first few months driving a hybrid. TP_UG was increased tire pressures and upgrades like grill blocks. Snow13 is self explanatory. I see a uniform data cloud with all three data sets overlapping as a function of temperature. 

1294606512_MPGvTempruralthruwinter150229.jpg.f2ba07f88ddeedbb07c4d58eaaa76584.jpg

This one from 2015 has the same baseline data for comparison. I've clearly learned to drive for better mileage, but there's still a good data overlap between the EOM and snow tires in the 20-40F range. 

I've got a few more....

The one contributing fact is that these Michelin X-Ice III 215/60-16 snows are "XL", extended load rating of 99, for a 1709 lb. limit. OEM tires are 93, 1433 lb. rating. That means the car's load running these snow tires uses a smaller fraction of the tire's designed deflection range. That may make up for carcass, tread, or rubber compound tradeoffs. 

I think excess load capacity reduces rolling resistance. It's one thing I'm noticing on the Escape; it rolls very well at 38 psi. The car's the weight of a C-Max, so it needs a load rating of 93, but they spec 99 and up depending on wheel diameter. It would make for an interesting test, to put your Escape wheels on the C-Max (if they fit) and see what mileage does. 

So... no, snow tires do not have to degrade fuel economy. That doesn't mean that you can't kill MPG with tire choices if you try.... 

Stay well,

Frank, who's happy he has hills to drive. 

Edited by fbov

Thank you all for the responses!   So far, the Continentals seem really good, MUCH nicer ride than I remember even when my last tires were new -- but I haven't driven them in the rain yet.  And really, I'm gonna be biased because my previous tires were BALD.  So anything would have been better.

Comparing Michelin X  vs  ES

Max psi                              50        51

Diameter                   26.1"    25.9"

tread width                7 in       8.2 in

Michelin X is .2" bigger in diameter and 1.2" narrower which would improve FE some.

2020 FEHP tires are Michelin Primacy AS 225/60R18  dia. 28.6", there is no way that is going to fit on a CMAX, that's 2.7" bigger in dia.

Paul