Looking to pulled the trigger on 2016

Jay

Howdy Group! The wife and I have the rest of the weekend to consider buying at 2016 CMAX SE. It's got 94,000 miles, no accidents, was driven in Texas as a fleet vehicle. We live in Kansas. I'd never driven one and our whole family was impressed with it from bumper to bumper. My only question is the life of the battery pack. I haven't been able to find how to check the "health" of the pack. Any thoughts, comments, or questions would be greatly appreciated. 

BTW, we're trading in a 2013 Chevy Traverse with 172,000 miles on it. The CMAX is in near spotless condition, inside and out. The dealer dropped the price a grand to $9,999.

Thanks!

Jay 

I'm not sure the EV battery is much to worry about (the main battery, assuming this is a hybrid and not an Energi).  Might be worth having the battery checked since the warranty runs out at 100k. 

I'd want to check the date of manufacture to ensure it was after 8/15/15 to avoid the transmission issue.  Yes, I know it's a 2016 but I have a '2016' that was manufactured in Oct. of 2015, so...

I don't know of any specific way to check the HVB battery levels without a scan tool.  I have a 2013 SEL with 106Kmi and I'm more worried about the transmission than I am the battery pack .. although so far the transmission hasn't made any funny noises and the service manager says there are no leaks.  I replaced the 12V battery after 7 years and a particularly cold winter -- that was about $200.  But other than that no service issues other than routine maintenance, headlight bulbs, cabin filter.  Just recently had coolant and spark plugs changed for 100Kmi service.  If it makes it to 150K mi will be time for first transmission fluid change.  I think I paid about $400 for the 100k mi service so maybe you want to ask them to change the spark plugs and flush the coolant since yours would be at 94K mi.

Extensive heat might be unkind to it but so far I haven't heard anyone having HVB pack issues except maybe one person who recently posted here a few weeks ago with a diagnostic code set that the battery management system detected cells charged unevenly.

The battery level you see on the dash display is calibrated so that the battery back is still somewhat full even when the gauge reads empty.  It's programmed to keep the actual pack level between 20-80% charged so that it can treat the battery kindly.

Edited by jestevens

Other folks have hit the biggies. Regarding HVB life, this is the data that we saw in 2013. I've seen no sign it's wrong... in the Hybrid. Energi HVB issues are plug-in charging-related. Have no concerns regarding HVB life. Lots of folks beyond 200K have no issues. 

Frank

1572478249_KeyLifeTestFordResultsNiMHLiIon.jpg.d7311d4cc774dcdb4f263f6ca6247d81.jpg