HEPA cabin air filter

patbob

With all the forest fire smoke in the air around where I live, I decided to replace the cabin air filter with a HEPA one to see if it helps any.  The air quality is only "Very Unhealthy" today, a vast improvement over yesterday, so it's a little difficult to tell, but it does seem to help pull the smoke smell out of the air in the car.  So, I figured I'd post the filter I used here, in case it helps anyone else.

I ended up with a Bosch 6043C, and followed these YouTube instructions to replace it.  If you haven't replaced one of these filters before, I strongly suggest watching moomoo97's video.  That air filter is a pain to get to and replace, and his instructions walk you through it step by frustrating step.

BoschHEPACabinAirFilter_C-Max_Crop.jpg

Yes, it's annoying compared to my HHR and Prius which both had filters directly behind the glove box which could be changed in 30 seconds.  I hate doing this job, it's not technically difficult but inevitably it's 100F, 90% humidity, have to contort my body weird ways.

Edited by jestevens

24,000 miles and just replaced mine today (annually) and it is a PITA.  What's worse with mine is the refrigerant lines interfere with the cabin air filter pop-door-panel, so getting that thing back on is the worst ever and I don't bother with the retaining screw anymore.  I also did the engine air filter (first time), but coulda/shoulda waited another 5,000 miles as it is tedious with requiring about 20 steps.  And, as usual, I lost one screw-retainer; so, under and off with the undercowling to retrieve that.  Both jobs completed, but both are horribly engineered for access.

Greg    

I'll wait for a sale on cabin filter replacement from my dealer (yes, they have them annually) and let them deal with it.  I had a 2004 Focus Wagon ZTW and never saw the need to replace the cabin filter but when the sale came I thought it was worth it (like $41) and brought it in.  They called a couple of hours later and said it would take more time than usual: there wasn't a cabin air filter in my car and there wasn't even the housing for it in my car!  Apparently, it was never put in during production.  They had to get the housing, and install it and then the filter.  They said it would be $41 just the same and apologized for the production error.  Before and after having a filter vs no filter I never noticed any difference. 

Hi all,

120k on mine and I must have replaced it 4-5x already. the first couple times were a real struggle....

Finally figured out the easy way (no, not the dealer). Once you remove the fuzzy under dash cover, and the glovebox to make things easy to see (for my old calcified back..), there are two large blue electrical connectors on the fuse panel. There's a locking pin on them and once pressed, you can rotate the handle on the connector, which pushes the connector out of the panel. Remove those connectors and gently push them out of the way. Now you have a clear, straight shot to remove the old and install the new filter.

As for the comment on the entertainment system, it's a good idea to pull that fuse, attach a strong piece of tape to it, and reinstall. So when/if the system goes nutty, you can more easily pull the fuse to kill it and then reinstall it later when you have time and better visibility. Last time I pulled it (years ago) it was on max volume and would not shut off (but that was before v3.8 was installed...still good to be prepared while your there)

Both jobs are not hard, but are way more tedious than they need to be (especially when compared to most where it's two spring clips and you're done).  I do wonder if "engineering" like this is intentional to deter DIY or simply the last thing figured out due to zero pre-planning.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 8:29 PM, patbob said:

With all the forest fire smoke in the air around where I live, I decided to replace the cabin air filter with a HEPA one to see if it helps any.  The air quality is only "Very Unhealthy" today, a vast improvement over yesterday, so it's a little difficult to tell, but it does seem to help pull the smoke smell out of the air in the car.  So, I figured I'd post the filter I used here, in case it helps anyone else.

I ended up with a Bosch 6043C, and followed these YouTube instructions to replace it.  If you haven't replaced one of these filters before, I strongly suggest watching moomoo97's video.  That air filter is a pain to get to and replace, and his instructions walk you through it step by frustrating step.

BoschHEPACabinAirFilter_C-Max_Crop.jpg

That video was excellent.  I couldn't understand one word he was saying to me it sounded like "wet cream" but I finally realized probably was saying vacuum!