First c max and first hybrid

Mixxer

Other than the push button start you can drive it pretty much like any other car -- but hybrids are really designed for coasting .. you accelerate smoothly to the speed you want to go, then let off the gas a little and if you aren't going up a hill, etc. the car will start to coast on electric up until about 40MPH.   You've probably already noticed how sensitive the brakes are -- they are equipped to shunt mechanical energy back into the battery..so rather than jamming on the brakes if traffic circumstances permit it you can sort of "coast" on the brakes to a stop as well and the car will be happier.  Paul has very good videos on driving for MPG.  Even without hypermiling I am able to get 40MPG with tires inflated to 42PSI.

Edited by jestevens

16 hours ago, jestevens said:

...hybrids are really designed for coasting...

+1

And to see if you're coasting, you look at the "up" (?) and down (?) "carat" above and below the HVB status display. Those gifs are a poor carats.

You're only coasting when neither carat is visible. It means you're not charging, nor are you discharging. The new Escape has a numeric display, so coasting = 0. 

Frank

• 5 months later...

Rides just as good as stock but I have several roads that I avoid now due to bad pot holes and large crack bumps in the road. Handles a lot better as well. Tires are westlake sa07 235/40r18I believe and the wheels are Konig ampliforms 18x8.5. Coilovers are Godspeed mono ss.

45 minutes ago, Mixxer said:

Rides just as good as stock but I have several roads that I avoid now due to bad pot holes and large crack bumps in the road. Handles a lot better as well. Tires are westlake sa07 235/40r18I believe and the wheels are Konig ampliforms 18x8.5. Coilovers are Godspeed mono ss.

Hahaha. Nice.

If this was my area, I'd have to avoid my own street, and practically all the streets ?