Water in Driver Footwell / Wet Carpet & Leak?

NYC CMax

Discovered a damp / soggy drivers side carpet and have been going mad trying to find the source.

Approximately July 2020 felt damp in the carpet, a few weeks later felt a drip of water on my left foot while driving.

I sort of ignored the problem because I wasn't driving very much, but recently when cleaning the car realized there was enough water that the carpet was frozen to the mat! 

I have cleaned and cleared the drain holes located on the left and right corners of the windshield. 

I have checked the scuttle and haven't seen any cracks or indication of damage.

I have run a hose over the windshield and not seen any signs of where the water is coming from in the inside.

I really don't want to go to the mechanic and pay for them to chase the leak. Any suggestions?

Dry the area really well.  (perhaps put a fan in there and let car run with heater on).  Lay down paper or cardboard or something that will allow better detection of the way of entry.  Perhaps stuff paper towels in places the water could come down to also detect source.  You might consider changing shoes on rainy or snowy days to control your putting water in there.

It probably is a good idea to dry it well for once mildew gets started it is hard get rid of the smell.

I left my windows open and had a lot of water come into the car.  The compartment on the back seat floor had an inch of water and the seats were soaked.  I left 2 fans and a dehumidifier in there for 3 days to dry it out.  ( I am hardly driving these days. )

Issue in summer sounds like clogged evaporator core drain.  Do you use MAX Defrost to clear windows in colder weather or turn A/C on in cooler temps to remove humidity?  In MAX Defrost, AC will operate if outside air is above about 35.6 F. Do you have a panoramic roof?  It's simply held in place with a sealant.  Perhaps sealant is damaged.  My guess is, if panoramic roof leaked, water would be channeled to the pillars much like rear window washer hose leak.

I used to have that problem with my HHR, but that was because they put a helpful butyl patch to cover some hole near the fresh air intake on the passenger side -- Over time the adhesive holding the patch would deteriorate..  If you parked the car on an incline and there was a decent amount of rain the passenger side flood would happen every time.

Still remember seeing the Chevy techs use a little carpet water extractor..

Edited by jestevens

• 5 months later...
Guest Ralph

I have the same issue. 2013 C-Max. After a rain, it gets wet under the rear seat on that elevated platform. Then, water accumulates in the foot wells of the rear seats. Carpet and padding get soaked enough for the front carpets to get wet. Not the AC. Replaced the windshield. Glued/sealed the scuttle. No water in the cargo area. It's a great little car that runs like a top, but is headed for the junkyard if I can't find the leak.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem and turned out to be a pipe leading to my heater matrix there is a join on the 2 pipes and turned out to be the rubber seals had failed so got the parts and now waiting for them to arrive and will fit them when they arrive I mean it might not be your issue but I heard it’s common on the Ford C-Max 2012 to 2015 hope this helps

E9E4173B-B62B-4C80-827E-4BAB829491E8.png

• 2 months later...
Guest Jacques

I have a right hand drive CMAX 2004 and found that rain water leaking into the passenger footwell is caused by poor design of the plastic cowling tray that runs along the base of the windscreen. Due to the design of the cowling the water can only really drain to the drivers side - so if you park in the rain with the passenger side lower than the drivers side the water will dam up and enter the passenger side air vent that draws in air from the outside. If you park on a slope, like I said, and use a jug you will see the water enter the air vent before it can drain normally on the drivers side.

I have not seen this answer anywhere on the www, but if it is common knowledge, please forgive me for preaching to the coverted.

• 2 years later...

I found water under my carpet on driver's seat - steering wheel on left side. 2015

Attached is a pic of the fresh air cowling (I believe that's what you call the cowling). Could you point out where I should look? I don't see anything that would resemble a hole - looks like any liquid would drain to the edges. I am tempted to apply some caulk at the base of the windshield.

BTW - on a right side driving model, does that mean the heater core (traditional passenger side items) move to the left?

1775687050_2015cmaxleftdriversside.jpg.b40a715514d46469236497f4f55b173c.jpg