Engine wont shutoff and cockpit display messed up

fcm2013

Had a scary incident yesterday. Tried to start the engine to back out of the garage and it would not power on. Thinking it was the usual issue with Sync and radio crash issue, pulled the fuse, and plugged it back in. Engine starts fine. Now comes the scary part. Engine wont shut off.  Called Ford and when I told them of the problem, they said to call the local dealership. The local dealership attempted to solve the issue by having me pull various fuses. They asked if I can bring it in. I drove the car about 3mi, the gas light comes on saying out of gas (1/4 tank). I drive for 1 more mile and display goes dark and engine shuts off. Good thing I was on a side street and local police helped while a tow came in to finish the last mile to the dealership. When it died, shifter locked up and I had to e-brake. 

The system locked me out, no display, nada. just a white screen in the console and blue lights in the cockpit.  

Any idea what is going on? Faulty ECM again? So far, this car has been in the garage at least every year including 2020 when we only drove it for about 2K. there's only 25k since we got it new 8yrs ago.

I have experienced the FORD (FIXED OR REPAIR DAILY), and the FORD (FOUND ON ROAD DEAD) and last month'S FORD (FACTORY ORDERED RECALL DEFECT).  

The only weird behavior I've had like that was when I switched from navigation to audio in a weird way -- like it was still trying to draw the map and I pushed a weird combination of things on the touchscreen.   I guess the timing must have confused the APIM software and the infotainment display locked up.  There must be a deadlock timer though because eventually the APIM rebooted itself - saw the SYNC logo, the disk check and everything while I was driving. 

The infotainment is kept separate from the engine controls stuff in the speedometer though, which is good considering "Microsoft" software isn't the most reliable.

We had a 2013 SE at work where the driver was going 65MPH on the highway -- engine power abruptly cut off and dash flashed "Stop Safely Now" -- he wasn't a big fan of the car after that .. lucky I've never had that problem with the SEL.

Please let us know what they find out.

Edited by jestevens