TPMS battery life

homestead

My friend had a TPMS sensor fail during a particularly bad cold snap after tires 5 years old.   That all sounds about right.  The battery is glued in such a way to make a waterproof seal which makes them hard to replace.  Most folks here in the US would rather just pay the $60, plus I guess they could claim it's a safety issue.  

He has a Mitsubishi mirage which doesn't take kindly to third party TPMS replacement, we had to pay twice -- once for aftermarket sensor at a time shop and again to replace the sensor with a mitsu one at the dealership.  Lucky the tire shop traded the cost of the sensor for an alignment instead.

There is a video on youtube showing what it takes to replace the battery..

• 2 weeks later...

They should last 10 years.  If they are 315 HZ Sensors, you can buy 4 of them for $40 on Amazon.  A typical honest tire shop will charge $15 per wheel to remove the tire, install the sensor and replace the tire.  Make some phone calls, get the prices.  My C-Max is a 2015, and the picture above is the wrong TPMS for my car.  Mine has the brass tip and thread.  Make sure they mark the tire rotational position, so you get your same tire balance effect when he's done, unless you want to pay extra to have them balanced too.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in our C-MAX but in my '14 Scion iQ.  When I trigger it with my Autel tool it doesn't respond.  Eventually the tool times out with "Failed".  Mileage on that car is right around 16k miles, low for a failure as I understand.  I did buy it used in '17 so not sure what happened to that one sensor.  The rest respond fine.

(My wife traded our '13 Energi for a '18 Honda Clarity in 2018 and the sensors were fine, at around 60k mi if I recall correctly).

Edited by jzchen