Hello!

CMAX_HACK

Coming here from a long line of Ford Vehicle ownership with 8 currently in the stable (both kids drive plus we have our Ford toys).  We have a 2006 Escape Hybrid in the family and are looking to either purchase another one or the C-Max. Leaning strongly to the C-Max as it has a better hybrid strategy.  I will be doing research here to determine the pro's and con's of the hybrid and Energi models. Thanks for having me and look forward to meeting you folks.  

2 hours ago, CMAX_HACK said:

... Leaning strongly to the C-Max as it has a better hybrid strategy.  ...

Welcome! I think you'll find both are excellent choices. Hybrid technology advanced from C-Max to Escape, so you'll see a big upgrade from the HD-10 in your 2006. To my biased perspective, water cooling is a game changer, especially for a plug-in, and it's only on the new Escape. I'm glad I waited. 

The one big issue with plug-ins is reducing time the battery spends fully charged, and at high temperature. Think a garage in Arizona. Both factors accelerate battery aging, and there are a number of Energi models with low HVB capacity. They're still great hybrids, and the Hybrid is not affected, as its rarely fully charged. Another reason to like water cooling... and good HVBs. Early Escape plug-ins had battery quality issues, delaying them a year. 

HAve fun,

Frank

20 hours ago, fbov said:

Welcome! I think you'll find both are excellent choices. Hybrid technology advanced from C-Max to Escape, so you'll see a big upgrade from the HD-10 in your 2006. To my biased perspective, water cooling is a game changer, especially for a plug-in, and it's only on the new Escape. I'm glad I waited. 

The one big issue with plug-ins is reducing time the battery spends fully charged, and at high temperature. Think a garage in Arizona. Both factors accelerate battery aging, and there are a number of Energi models with low HVB capacity. They're still great hybrids, and the Hybrid is not affected, as its rarely fully charged. Another reason to like water cooling... and good HVBs. Early Escape plug-ins had battery quality issues, delaying them a year. 

HAve fun,

Frank

Just finished up some more research and we have moved the Energi into the number 3 position, putting the CMax hybrid in number 1.  My statement on comparison to the Escape hybrid was in reference to our 2006 model year.  The technology in the Cmax is much improved.  I have narrowed the search for 2016/17 models to get as far away as possible from the early model tranny issues and get Apple Car Play in the 17 (or perform the update in the 16).