Would you buy the CMax if the advertised MPG was below 47/47?

Jus-A-CMax

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the CMax if the advertised MPG was lower than 47/47/47?

• Yes, I would buy it as long as it was > 40 MPG
    • Yes, I would buy it regardless of the MPG, other factors a major influence
    • No, I would not buy it because of the lower MPG than competitors
  2. 2. As of 08/21/2013, as an owner are you...

• Happy with the current CMax MPG
    • Not happy with the current CMax MPG
    • Still forming an opinion on the CMax MPG

My insurance went up. Higher than both our other cars... I called to ask why a compact Ford Hybrid cost more to insure than our 2011 Camaro convertible. The answer?

Batteries.

Batteries are incredibly expensive and almost always damaged in a crash.

Maybe the difference is that you have the Energi which has the really big battery vs  the hybrid.   My insurance came out less when I changed from an 08 Sable to the C Max Hybrid.   This might make an interesting forum question between the Energi and the Hybrid.   Did your insurance go up or down.   

Edited by Chinto

Our insurance went up a little bit, but I was expecting that. We were replacing a sixteen year-old car. The insurer did give us a discount for having an alternative fuel vehicle, though. Thanks to the discount, it didn't go up as much as I thought it would. 

Edited by JulieB

Did anyone factor in insurance when they considered the CMax? I certainly didn't.

Its interesting that as much as we like the other features of CMax, the majority still considered the MPG to be a major factor in their decision. Also, we may have 2 posters who would have picked the last options of NO but it seems like they never came back. Seems fishy, ala darrelld about the Venza poster.

My 2 previous cars were the yuck Priuses (just kidding Catmobile), and I loved them. But I was ready for a change and followed the release date info for the CMax for months. Mileage was a small factor. It has a lot to offer and I chose one with many options. I did get a very good resale on my 2007 Prius.

I would have bought the C-max if the economy number was in the lower 40's (which is what I expect to get during the spring/summer).  I am not a fan of the Prius due to the seats, and the handling - it's a great car with a good rep, but just did not work for me.  The C-max has a much nicer interior and seats IMO.  My second choice would have been the Crosstrek from Subaru, but the better FE pushed me to the C-max (and the Crosstrek was not widely available at the time).  Insurance was not much of an issue in my case since it was going up either way - prior car was 10 years old and had basic coverage.

I bought the C-Max for my wife to drive to work 20 miles with speed limit of 45 half way. We had a mini van before, but kids are gone now. I really wanted the 47 mpg as gas is high in Maine. Asked the dealer three times if they really got 47. His answer was that this car has been totally tested overseas and yes it got 47 some times more. I liked the room it had for a 6 ft 4 person. So we got it even though i thought it was a little expensive but if it got 47mpg it would be worth it. Well we have 5500 miles on it and have never seen over 38 mpg. So i am not a happy camper, but not much you can do now. I can not even take it out of the garage ( 30 ft on level ground) with out the engine starting up. I am not impressed.

I can not even take it out of the garage ( 30 ft on level ground) with out the engine starting up. I am not impressed.

It should stay in EV mode for a while when starting out. The things that I know of that will prevent EV mode at startup include:

1. Battery charge below about 20%

2. Outside temperature is below approx. freezing

3. Having the climate control turned on which forces the engine to run until there is heat

Even with #1 and #2, I can usually get EV mode to engage at a stop light 1 mile from home as long as I use the heated seats and leave climate control off.

Asked the dealer three times if they really got 47. His answer was that this car has been totally tested overseas and yes it got 47 some times more.

Well the C-Max did come from Europe, but it is not available their as a hybrid so that dealers answer is a little bit of a reach.  Maybe they meant the diesel version sold their but not here...  Bad sales people can do more product damage than good engineering will ever overcome.

It should stay in EV mode for a while when starting out. The things that I know of that will prevent EV mode at startup include:

1. Battery charge below about 20%

2. Outside temperature is below approx. freezing

3. Having the climate control turned on which forces the engine to run until there is heat

Even with #1 and #2, I can usually get EV mode to engage at a stop light 1 mile from home as long as I use the heated seats and leave climate control off.

My wife is driving the C-Max this month and is seeing over 40MPG since the last fill up on January 6th..  That is with starting out on ICE for a couple miles since she a low battery every morning,(The car goes in to EV+ on the way home) low temperatures in the 25-35˚F range in the mornings, and running the heater as soon as she starts the car...I don't think she ever turns it off... Plus the head lights, radio, and heated seats...  She has a "perfect hybrid commute" with a maximum legal speed of 45MPH, lots of hills, and stop lights.  She has quickly learned how to get in to EV Mode and maximizes her Braking and coasting....  While 40+MPG may not be 47MPG it is darn close enough considering the current variables... I suspect she will do a lot better when the temps go up and the winter blend "swill" that passes for gas goes away... Now if I could just break in to the low 20MPG range in the SHO I'd be happy... ;)

Edited by RedLdr1

I bought the C-Max for my wife to drive to work 20 miles with speed limit of 45 half way. We had a mini van before, but kids are gone now. I really wanted the 47 mpg as gas is high in Maine. Asked the dealer three times if they really got 47. His answer was that this car has been totally tested overseas and yes it got 47 some times more. I liked the room it had for a 6 ft 4 person. So we got it even though i thought it was a little expensive but if it got 47mpg it would be worth it. Well we have 5500 miles on it and have never seen over 38 mpg. So i am not a happy camper, but not much you can do now. I can not even take it out of the garage ( 30 ft on level ground) with out the engine starting up. I am not impressed.

Look at all the 3mpg gained posting in Mileage forum, a lot of info there. One of our members is in Maine and likes the Grill Covers.

• 2 weeks later...

Traded in Toyota Rav 4 that got about 23 mpg, so anything better than 35 mpg would have pleased me.  My new C-max hybrid is clocking about 37 mpg after 600 miles of local driving. So, I'm not disappointed with the car, but I do feel sorry for Ford. You see, I made my decision with a healthy disdain for corporate advertizing.  Those folks specialize in propaganda and sadly Ford's ad makers are no exception.  I'm sure that Ford's engineers know that the mileage efficiency to be realized is pretty close to what I am experiencing but their advertizing hype-sters just couldn't be that honest so they pulled the EPA voodoo wool over customer eyes - legal, I'm sure, but just plain wrong.  It's a shame that such good engineering design and manufacturing has to be sullied with such shenanigans.  Ford is too good for that.  I hope they learn. 

Traded in Toyota Rav 4 that got about 23 mpg, so anything better than 35 mpg would have pleased me.  My new C-max hybrid is clocking about 37 mpg after 600 miles of local driving. So, I'm not disappointed with the car, but I do feel sorry for Ford. You see, I made my decision with a healthy disdain for corporate advertizing.  Those folks specialize in propaganda and sadly Ford's ad makers are no exception.  I'm sure that Ford's engineers know that the mileage efficiency to be realized is pretty close to what I am experiencing but their advertizing hype-sters just couldn't be that honest so they pulled the EPA voodoo wool over customer eyes - legal, I'm sure, but just plain wrong.  It's a shame that such good engineering design and manufacturing has to be sullied with such shenanigans.  Ford is too good for that.  I hope they learn. 

Welcome to the forum, congratz on your CMax and thanks for posting your vote and say.

My suggestion is that you take some time and do some reading here since alot of the actual CMax owners have posted a lot of particularly useful links including dissecting this CR driven EPA issue to death, as well as more useful, real experiences about their own car - cars they own and not just test drive for 2 weeks or have it for one lazy weekend drive around the coast.

These owners are from various locations of this great country - some are in the colder north (Adair/Laurel/DonH) and obviously do not get the rated MPG due to the colder conditions while others are in more warmer temperatures such as Georgia/California and are getting around or above the MPG. Also note 2 posters here (ptjones and myself) have already got more than 600 miles on a single tank (look in the Lounge for the 600 mile club thread) and that is with real world driving, not a test loop circuit. So its there but like everything, it takes time to break the engine in, temperatures condusive for hybrids (not below zero), and more so - teaching yourself and learning how to drive hybrids and not GUNNING IT from red light to redlight as much as the CMax is very capable of gunning it.

So yeah, stick around, enjoy this lovely CMax community we have here and learn  :rockon: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I average about 41 mpg, driving very conservatively and with the grill covers in the extreme cold.  That is not bad at all.  I really like the way the C Max drives, also.  However, it was going to be this or the Prius V.  The 47 MPG was just one of the factors that I considered, but it put it in the plus column for the C Max over the V.  Now that I know both would probably be about 40-42 MPG overall, I am not sure which way I would go  I read and tend to think that the Prius would be much more consistent with the MPG, where with the C Max, a lot depends on the way I drive - annoying everyone behind me.  I would have to seriously reconsider if I had to do it again.  

I really don't know what Ford was thinking.  For a competitive product like this and with the reliability reputation of the Prius, I think they blew it.  A lot of people will have ill will towards Ford.  They can't afford all of this negative buzz about the MPG.  They had to know that a normal driver would never get 47 MPG city and highway.  Why advertise it that way?  You may get some people in the short term, but stuff like that really pisses people off.

Most people in forums like this can't be truly objective.  Human nature wants to make you believe you made the best decision.  It is no one's fault - we were relying on the information that Ford gave us.  But objectively, I would probably lean toward the Prius V if I had to do it again.  I could have gotten it cheaper and I know the product I am getting.  I just hope that there are no reliability issues with the C max.  I am taking a leap of faith to think there won't be.

I average about 41 mpg, driving very conservatively and with the grill covers in the extreme cold.  That is not bad at all.  I really like the way the C Max drives, also.  However, it was going to be this or the Prius V.  The 47 MPG was just one of the factors that I considered, but it put it in the plus column for the C Max over the V.  Now that I know both would probably be about 40-42 MPG overall, I am not sure which way I would go  I read and tend to think that the Prius would be much more consistent with the MPG, where with the C Max, a lot depends on the way I drive - annoying everyone behind me.  I would have to seriously reconsider if I had to do it again.  

I really don't know what Ford was thinking.  For a competitive product like this and with the reliability reputation of the Prius, I think they blew it.  A lot of people will have ill will towards Ford.  They can't afford all of this negative buzz about the MPG.  They had to know that a normal driver would never get 47 MPG city and highway.  Why advertise it that way?  You may get some people in the short term, but stuff like that really pisses people off.

Most people in forums like this can't be truly objective.  Human nature wants to make you believe you made the best decision.  It is no one's fault - we were relying on the information that Ford gave us.  But objectively, I would probably lean toward the Prius V if I had to do it again.  I could have gotten it cheaper and I know the product I am getting.  I just hope that there are no reliability issues with the C max.  I am taking a leap of faith to think there won't be.

They advertise the EPA numbers.  What are they supposed to say, EPA numbers are 47 but you won't get that.  Oh, but trust the EPA numbers on our other cars.

I voted the first option.  For me the big 4 was very significant.  Absolutely love the car (a 'home-run' by Ford imho), but psychologically I would have been (will be) somewhat disappointed if I struggle to get the big 4 in there.  In fact, it was only after reading like crazy, and finding first hand local experience over 40 mpg, that we pulled the trigger.  I assume that there will be a dozen new hybrids in the next couple years, and all over forty - I did not want to purchase too early for that. 

Regarding Prius - what a joke of a dash, center justified, with no driver gauges.  I call it 'drive by committee' - 'let's have a show of hands whether we accelerate or brake..............  Ford treats us right with a complete set of feedback gauges directed at the driver, not the rear seats!!  Nick

I voted the first option.  For me the big 4 was very significant.  Absolutely love the car (a 'home-run' by Ford imho), but psychologically I would have been (will be) somewhat disappointed if I struggle to get the big 4 in there.  In fact, it was only after reading like crazy, and finding first hand local experience over 40 mpg, that we pulled the trigger.  I assume that there will be a dozen new hybrids in the next couple years, and all over forty - I did not want to purchase too early for that. 

Regarding Prius - what a joke of a dash, center justified, with no driver gauges.  I call it 'drive by committee' - 'let's have a show of hands whether we accelerate or brake..............  Ford treats us right with a complete set of feedback gauges directed at the driver, not the rear seats!!  Nick

+1 quote of the day. My sentiments exactly  :rockon: 

Yes Valk, the Energi was incredibly tempting.  I have had a garage wired 220v for a plug-in (& compressors) for fifteen years waiting for 'the day; and we opted for the non.  It still hurts, but we could not get past the mini boot.  Love your 86 mpg.  Go ford on nex-gen batteries.  Nick 

Why then is the Prius much closer to the advertised MPG numbers?  Why did Hyundai recently get in trouble?  They should have come up with a more realistic testing method.  

Your numbers will improve with time. I just got back from 5.5k trip and averaged 42.6MPG with temps from 28-73deg.F. You need to show your Fuelly.com numbers. This summer you should be able to get close to 47mpg city driving. I'm getting in the low 50's most of the time in 35-50mph city driving now, maybe 60mpg this summer.