Would you buy the CMax if the advertised MPG was below 47/47?

Jus-A-CMax

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the CMax if the advertised MPG was lower than 47/47/47?

• Yes, I would buy it as long as it was > 40 MPG
    • Yes, I would buy it regardless of the MPG, other factors a major influence
    • No, I would not buy it because of the lower MPG than competitors
  2. 2. As of 08/21/2013, as an owner are you...

• Happy with the current CMax MPG
    • Not happy with the current CMax MPG
    • Still forming an opinion on the CMax MPG

I think the low mpg reports are going to disappear for the summer and mileage will become a moot point. My Energi reports about 43 - 44 mpg lately in EV later on the highway averaging around 65 over a 38 mile commute that I take about once a week.

You might get that in a conventional small car, but this isn't a small car and it definitely doesn't feel like an econobox!

HOV lane access (saved me about 20 minutes today) is just icing on the cake. Gliding past all those stuck SUVs - priceless.

I had an old mini-van that I wanted to replace with something smaller but with the flexibility of hauling things.  I saw the European C-Max and thought that it would make a nice replacement if it was ever introduced in USA.  So, when it was offered here, I was more interested in its carrying capacity than its mpg.  If it came as a gas engine non-hybrid, I probably would have still bought it.

I found and started to read about the C-Max.  I read about the good mileage, even though it wasn't making the EPA numbers.  Then one day I decided to get some quotes through AAA, Cosco and a local Dealer.  When the quotes came through  AAA won the cost bids and I went and test drove one.  We talked and the dealer told me to take the car overnight and drive it.

The drive home was in Rushhour traffice, and  by the time my wife got to drive it a bit, we were back at the dealer signing the papers.  In less then two hours, we had a new Max, and haven't regretted it since.  The last tank we got  46 MPG.  Summer is hear I still don't make the EPA's number, but you know what?  I really don't care.  We have a great car that is very comfortable and best of all it is fun to drive, and has turned into a great Commuter Car that I get to put 125 miles a day on when I am not on Travel.

I would have bought the C-Max even if it were not a hybrid - the cost of gas is a pretty small percentage of the cost of a new car, and also the carbon footprint of the additional gasoline is a small percentage of the environmental footprint of a new car (if you're thinking in terms of environmental impact). 

Before I got my C-Max I read a lot of reviews about the car, I saw the reports that it wasn't getting the mileage it was supposed to but then I read forums on the Prius and saw a bunch of people complaining about the same thing.  I was going back and forth between the Focus and the C-Max, and I was leaning Focus before I heard people say they were getting better gas mileage as the weather was improving.  I figured I should be able to achieve a minimum 42 mpg combined, and my gas savings based on that alone would offset the extra cost of the C-Max (over the Focus) in two and a half years.  That convinced me to go C-Max, and by chance when I went to visit my local dealer they had the exact car I wanted.  I didn't expect to, but I drove home with my new car the same day!

I would be happy with my car even if I was only getting low 40's per gallon, but if I can continue to get the 47.8 mpg I got with my first tank that extra cost will be covered in under 20 months!

• 2 months later...

BUMP - with the latest Ford CMax MPG revision news - I ask this question again....would you?

My vote does not change. I got more than the advertised in 90% of my CMax usage. Unfortunately, the 10% are the killer, 7,800 ft elevation heavy load hauls that killed my fuelly.com...well, technically, I am still above the 47MPG....jus is good enuf ;)

I also added an additional question - are u happy with the CMax as well.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The C-Max still has the combination of mpg, features and price that I was looking for. My original choice was the Chevy Cruze Eco because I thought it would get me better gas mileage. Once I realized the mpg of the Cruze wasn't THAT much better ( than my Malibu) I started considering other options. So while I wish I had know the mpg was actually 43 and not 47 I am still satisfied.

Yes, I would still buy it.  After more than 6 months of wanting a C-Max and deciding not to get it because of all the questions about gas mileage, I decided that I'd be happy with 40 mpg and bought a C-Max in early July.  Just got my 3rd tank of gas and my mpg is 40.2 (1st 2 - 37.4 & 38.3) - I am very happy with the upward trend and feel confident that I will reach mid to upper 40's as the engine gets broken in. 

I also think I'll be joining the 500 mile club in the next tank or two! :)

Heck yeah!

My first criteria was a vehicle comfortable enough for long road trips, a large enough rear area for three beagles, an automatic transmission, and MyFord Touch/navigation.  That pretty much meant Escape, Focus hatch, or C-MAX.  Next came fuel economy, so C-MAX is far and away the winner, old fuel economy rating or new.

Based on my first two tanks, and my first few trips, I think 45-47mpg lifetime should not be all that difficult to attain.  It seems my really short trips (3-5 miles to the gas station/grocery store) are the biggest killers.  Anything over 7 miles or so, and it's easy enough to hit 45mpg for the trip.

You make a good point, VABlueMax: I also went into my purchase knowing about the Consumer Reports claims, and that the majority of real-world users were not reaching the EPA mileage. It's fun to chase mileage, but I really just wanted a good car. I hate shifting, so the CVT is a huge plus. I love running in EV mode because of the quietness and smoothness as much as for fuel economy - especially at stops. Feeling like I am not wasting money/gas when traffic or lights slow down or stop helps me feel much calmer about driving in general, and helps me enjoy the experience. 

But the point being, I probably don't mind my fuel economy because I wasn't really expecting the EPA rating anyway. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

As I tell everyone, I love this car and I would buy one even if it WASN'T A HYBRID. My main love of it is this high seating position and ease in getting in and out of the vehicle. Most cars you have to fall in and crawl out of. The awesome mileage is a bonus in my book.

Edited by Michigan Max

I now have 33K mi and have life time average of 45mi/gal on smart gauge, driving in bad weather all over the country. It all comes down to how you drive it, like a Hybrid or not

irrelevant.  the rating was misleading, bottom line, which even Ford admitted with the new changes.  

35-37 mpg vs 47 mpg is a huge difference.  

Colder climates don't do as well but I still would get at least 42-45mpg driving your CMAX in your temps. IMO

I now have 33K mi and have life time average of 45mi/gal on smart gauge, driving in bad weather all over the country. It all comes down to how you drive it, like a Hybrid or not

Colder climates don't do as well but I still would get at least 42-45mpg driving your CMAX in your temps. IMO

i get 50+ mpg here often but pre-update it was impossible to get "47 mpg" at highway speeds (65-75+ mph) on level ground.  defending that rating is just laughable.     

i get 50+ mpg here often but pre-update it was impossible to get "47 mpg" at highway speeds (65-75+ mph) on level ground.  defending that rating is just laughable.     

EPA hwy is 60MPH which is possible to get 47mpg. I don't have enough miles with the up date to say for sure that it has made a difference, but will be putting on some serious mileage soon and see if I can get into the 700mi club. 

Paul

My family and I went to buy a hybrid Fusion but, the c-max grabbed us. The kids can go in and out of the back seats with little effort. I am not a hypermiler by any means and I still get an average of 44.3. I am very pleased and would buy one again. I would be pleased if Ford asked me to take the stand in defense of the c-max.

Hi 6Webbers, and welcome.

There are a lot of us here who share your sentiments. I, too, would gladly testify in defense of the C-MAX. I am happy with my car and would buy it all over again, even with the altered EPA rating. It's STILL getting more than twice what my old car got, and with way newer technology. I love it.

My family and I went to buy a hybrid Fusion but, the c-max grabbed us. The kids can go in and out of the back seats with little effort. I am not a hypermiler by any means and I still get an average of 44.3. I am very pleased and would buy one again. I would be pleased if Ford asked me to take the stand in defense of the c-max.

• 2 weeks later...

After testing many other small cars and the Prius it was the "cross over" feel and comfort that drew us to the C-Max.  I will admit that 47/47/47 was also a major factor in the purchase.  I've learned to drive the car and the upgrades have made getting 47 easy this spring and summer.  I got 55 mpg on my commute home today. Super happy with the car.