Stop safely now

CassidyB

Went to start my C-Max a few hours ago and was greeted with a red triangle and "stop safely now" message.. After 5 attempts, the car started and the message disappeared and hasn't popped back up. Owners manual points to an electrical component fault/failure. The manual doesn't say to take any type of action. Has anyone else experience this?

post-114-0-73430100-1360036316_thumb.jpg

Edited by CassidyB

Latest update... My local dealer is consulting Ford engineers via email, so who knows how long that will take. The dealer's diagnostic computer shows an issue but they can't find it. Whenever the issue pops up, the car will either not crank, shut down, or go into a limited operating capacity. My car issue has turned into an episode of the medical drama HOUSE.

RachelnLa... Don't let my issue scare you about your upcoming arrival. I've had my C-Max since the middle of September.. So it's one of the early ones off the assembly line.. With any new product or redesign, things will pop up.

When every thing works, the car is awesome..

Went to start my C-Max a few hours ago and was greeted with a red triangle and "stop safely now" message.. After 5 attempts, the car started and the message disappeared and hasn't popped back up. Owners manual points to an electrical component fault/failure. The manual doesn't say to take any type of action. Has anyone else experience this?

Had same when my Max was 10days old....2 weeks later :nonono:  :rant: the backordered part (BCM..?) finally arrived from Ford.  No problems since :rockon: .

Wish I had the Jeep, my loaner was a 1/2 ton HD diesel truck!...12.8 mpg :rant2: !  I got it up to 14.1mpg over the 2 weeks! :happy feet:

Would I buy a Jeep Compass? No, but I do like the ugly interior... I don't think you can scratch anything.....

No status on the part.. So far the dealer service department experience has been good..

**For those of you debating a C-Max, don't let any of the issues you see on this forum stop you from buying one.. Even with the issues I've had, I would buy another one.. Unless I win the lottery, and then I would move up to a CTS-V wagon by Cadillac.

Some pics would be cool if they let you, would be interesting to see whats under the skin.  I also have an early build (October IIRC), so am crossing my fingers this is an isolated problem (yes I am selfish).

Since this was diagnosed as a faulty module, does that change anything with regard to the danger the problem could have posed to first responders which you mentioned earlier?

No status on the part... All I know is that the module is part of the system that discharges the battery if you are involved in a wreck. My issues have supposedly been passed to a regional manager for quicker resolution/options. Could possibly be a Lemon Law type of situation. Sometimes the audio portion of MFT/SYNC will turn on at a high volume level. It's a random occurrence and it scares the he## when it happens.

I'm not saying the C-Max is a lemon, just my particular car could be. I want the car fixed, to include my dashboard, MFT/SYNC, and possible AC issues. The AC froze up during a beach trip back in October..

Gee Cassidy this is all sounding dreadful!  I am losing confidence in Ford and the C-Max.  After all that has been reported on this forum concerning batteries and electrical issues, I would feel much better if Ford did a recall and checked over all of our cars.  I would be hard pressed to recommend one to a friend at this time even though we haven't had any trouble personally and I love my car.  Just started to get scared that it will leave me in the lurch somewhere.  Minimally Ford has to start talking to us about what is going on as they most certainly have employees reading this forum who know about the issues that are happening.

Some pics would be cool if they let you, would be interesting to see whats under the skin.  I also have an early build (October IIRC), so am crossing my fingers this is an isolated problem (yes I am selfish).

Since this was diagnosed as a faulty module, does that change anything with regard to the danger the problem could have posed to first responders which you mentioned earlier?

CNC....dude - your car and my Max probably shared the same assembly line, October baby - so far, aside from MFT, no major issue at all  :) 

Cassidy - thanks for the update. Wow, this sounds like a major concern so thanks for posting it here and letting us all know.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Laurel...If a friend or family member asked about buying a C-Max, I would tell them to go for it but maybe skip out on the MFT/SYNC package. I have a lot of confidence in the C-Max, that's why I want mine fixed or possibly replaced with another C-Max. A friend of mine is a finance manager for a Honda dealer and he said occasionally they will get a "bad" Honda and lemon laws come into play.. I doubt there is a manufacturer out there that can guarantee 100% quality assurance on 100% of their product line.. I don't think you will have any problems...

As I said in a different post, "I would argue that their car, especially something like a C-Max, is the most complex item most people own and we expect it to be the most reliable item we own."

There are countless regulations from government, and they still have to make it fun to drive yet efficient, pleasant to look at but yet aerodynamic, safe but not too heavy.

Hundreds of thousands of parts coming from all over the world manufactured by different suppliers.  They have to figure out how to actually build these things in an efficient manner.

The engine has to be able to spin at 6000 rpm with millimeter tolerances without blowing up.  I don't know about the C-Max but the Chevy Volt has 10 million lines of code that has to work, (CMax can't be too far off.)

It has to work in 0 degree weather to 100 degrees.  Rain, sleet, and snow.

And it has to be affordable.

And the thousands that they do build must work for every kind of crazy person that gets in the thing and starts mashing all the buttons.

I'm surprised any car works at all :)

On Feb. 7th went to start C-Max. Red triangle with "stop safely now" message came up and C-Max would not start. Tried to start 6 or 7 times and finally started. Has run fine since. Called dealer and made appointment to bring it in today and they didn't seem concerned about driving it until then. Called later today and said they were waiting for information from Ford headquarters to determine which modulator was defective. After determining this, the modulator would be replaced and everyting reprogrammed. Don't know any more than that at this point, but there was another problem on Jan. 22nd. Went to start C-Max and everything electrical was dead and C-Max would not start. Called dealer and said to have C-Max towed. Towed  C-Max to dealer and diagnosis was 12V battery would not hold charge. Battery was replace and C-Max ran fine until incident on Feb. 7th. Don't know if the two problems are related, but kind of doubt it. We both like our C-Max and driving it is a pleasurable experience. Hope this is just a bump in the road and everything will be smooth sailing after this. Got our C-Max Nov. 20, the next day after delivery to the dealer, so it is probably an early Nov. build. Will check on that later. Even with these problems would recommend the C-Max. Probably just some of the bugs that always pop up when a new model starts production.

CNC....dude - your car and my Max probably shared the same assembly line, October baby - so far, aside from MFT, no major issue at all  :) 

Cassidy - thanks for the update. Wow, this sounds like a major concern so thanks for posting it here and letting us all know.

Oops, I must have been smoking something.  I just checked and mine was built in August, I bought it in October so I should have known better :doh:  Aside from a dead 12v battery, I've not had any major problems either.

With JLD's similar sounding problem with the dead battery also, I wonder if the two (12v battery + module) are somehow related (not suggesting that is the sole cause of dead 12v batteries).  It would be great to know exactly what the module / modulator is that Cassedy and JLD have/had problems with.