Intro-Tech Automotive Sunshade

Hello forum, just wanted to review the Intro-Tech custom fit auto shade for my CMax which came today after ordering through Amazon for $48.30 total delivered.

Yes it is very long as you can expect to cover the large windshield, but that's to be expected.  After placing it up to the windshield it lives up to it's description as  "Custom Fit" because it completely covers the entire area of the glass and lays flat along the "A" pillars on both sides when pushed into place with your hands.  Then along the top tucked into place under the trim on either side of the rear view mirror.  Lastly it fits in place along the bottom where the glass meets the dashboard.  Once I had it in place it held there on it's own without the sun visors pulled down to support it, however the included instructions tell you to lower them for added support.

The thing I really like is it lays pretty close to flat all the way across the windshield which is cool since I'm very anal about things fits neatly.  From outside looking at the windshield it completely covers the glass and reaches flat to all trim pieces top, sides, and bottom no roll up issues as other have mentioned with other designs.

For storage it rolls up easily after you pull it out from behind the mirror and roll it up towards you in the drivers seat.  I had no problem doing this alone despite the large size.  Once rolled up, wrap the velcro strap around it for closure and throw it in the back seat or behind in the storage area, but I can't reach it from there to install without getting out of the seat obviously.

Later I will post pictures from the inside and the outside, but all in all I think this is the best solution available for the CMax to protect our large dash and interior like my leather seats from direct UV damage.  Not to mention help with summer heating.  Price for me was reasonable for such a nice fitting design.  Much better than those zig zag fold up cardboard screens I used in my Datsun Z in the 70's and 80's.  Or those weird twist and fold round twin screens.

I rate it 5 stars for fit and design for the vehicle intended.

Glad you like it. Certainly a lot of others do as well based on the reviews in the links below.  For others, it appears one can order the best Intro-Tech roll-up one for $39.95 + free shipping here.  My problem with roll-up ones in the past is that the roll-up ones becomes more difficult to get to lay flat as the shade seems to retain the curled up shape more and more over time (but maybe I just bought cheaper made ones).  

Also, I'd recommend others to check the Intro-Tech Ultimate fold-up one for $59.95 here.  

The Ultimate fold up one is made of 1/4 " foam board. It is very easy to install, take down, and fold up and lays flat on the console between the seats.  My only concern will be it's life since in Phoenix it will get lots of use with 211 "clear" days a year and sunshine 85% of the time between sunrise and sunset. But it does appear to be well constructed.  Time will tell. 

• 1 year later...

I live in Phoenix too and have been using the cheap Walmart shade.  It's super convenient as I can tuck it between the seat and the center console. I'm hesitant to get one of these more expensive ones because I expect it to end up in the backseat when folded and then inevitably in the very back when I haul 3 other people around.  Have you noticed a significant different in temperature between a cheap one and the more expensive ones?

Thanks for the info.

Have you noticed a significant different in temperature between a cheap one and the more expensive ones?

I have two CMaxes and have one intro-tech and one walmart type style screen.  I intend to do a side by side temperature test one of these days.  Unfortunately the cars are two different colors so I think I'll try switching the shades between cars and repeat the test.

I purchased a roll-up IntroTech model FD55 (NOT FD-55 R) for $36.95 from PartsCheap.com with free shipping in May 2014:

http://www.partscheap.com/2013-C-Max-Windshield-Sunshade-p/fd-55.htm

Today, the same item (FD55) is apparently $30.90 here on ebay from seller fanattic1296 with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intro-Techs-Best-Custom-Fit-Auto-Sunshade-for-Ford-Aerostar-to-LTD-/271450454778?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item3f33b53afa

post-1940-0-03415900-1407168357_thumb.jpg

post-1940-0-73351700-1407168353_thumb.jpg

These photos were taken in the garage the first night right after it arrived, shipped tightly rolled. The silver side is now less-wrinkly and fills the window opening side-to-side better now that it's been unrolled and spent a few hours in the sun.

We live in Indiana, so we'll use it primarily in the summertime. Open the black plastic shipping bag very carefully at one end and you have a free outer wrap for storing it in the garage during the winter (a.k.a non-road-construction season).

Edited by kostby