Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Monitoring 12V Battery Current

12V Current Battery

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,790 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Interesting, maybe there's a scan / check of modules every so often for another few hours.  If I understand the graph, the X axis goes from 0-280 scans and each scan is about 2 seconds so the total time is about 560 seconds or 9 minutes 20 seconds.    IIRC, on the VW procedure for checking for current drain via measuring voltage drop across fuses, the procedure has one begin the check after 2 hours so all modules are asleep.  Can you log all night? 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

+3,  I wasn't very clear, the logging was going at its maximum rate which was almost 2 scans each second so the total time was more like 2.5 minutes.  I'll get that axis straightened out next time.  Yes, I want to log for an extended period but I might have to settle for fewer scans/minute - I think the software limits at 10,000.  Also the meter's 9V battery will need to last all night.  If not, I guess "one dead battery deserves another"! :lol:

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   webcontrol

webcontrol

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Great measurement result. This may help isolate where the problem is.  If possible, get the wire harness layout, then measure a few places at the same time, to see where this current going to.

#24 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

+3,  I wasn't very clear, the logging was going at its maximum rate which was almost 2 scans each second so the total time was more like 2.5 minutes.  I'll get that axis straightened out next time.  Yes, I want to log for an extended period but I might have to settle for fewer scans/minute - I think the software limits at 10,000.  Also the meter's 9V battery will need to last all night.  If not, I guess "one dead battery deserves another"! :lol:

That's why I ask because I would have thought that the car might not reach sleep mode in just 2.5 minutes (and it may not have given that you saw higher readings later).

I think if you set the scan to once every 4 seconds, it would be sufficient to capture any changes and thus allow you to record 11+ hours. And then if there is a pattern of blips seen, you could decrease the time between scans appropriately to see what the blips look like. Or you could do it in reverse and start with a small change in time between scans and capture data for a few hours first and then extend to more hours.

Either way this will be very interesting to see what happens over time.   

• ptjones likes this

#25 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 760 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Here are results from "all night" monitoring.  Graph shows first 250 seconds of 12V battery current, positive is discharging, negative is charging.  Events shown are opening door and getting in, turning key "ON" (battery starts charging), "starting" car (Ready To Drive but ICE is OFF), turning key OFF, getting out and closing door, waiting for cuurent to drop to a low value.  (Note: Software was only logging changes in value so the exact shape would be slightly different than shown but peak values should be correct.)

gallery_656_57_4423.jpg

Overall sequence follows:

10:04:31 PM  Start of graph shown above

10:08:41 PM  End of graph

10:36:51 PM  Current jumps to about 3 amps for 6 seconds then back to 0.3

10:38:28 PM  Current drops to 0

1:31:16 AM    Current goes to 0.2 amps

1:32:10 AM    Back to 0

2:05:06 AM    Jumps to 0.2 again

2:06:01 AM    Back to 0

2:24:40 AM    0.2 amps

2:25:34 AM    0 amps

2:58:34 AM    0.2 amps

2:59:27 AM    0 amps

6:39:32 AM    Still 0 - End of test

Of course I am not suggesting that this data shows anything wrong - its a record of what happened.  It would be nice to know what "wakes up" periodically to draw 0.2 amps for about a minute, but it represents a trival drain on the battery.  The main point here is to characterize "normal" operation and then look for deviation from that norm.  We don't know if something fails to shut down after parking the car or if something wakes up at a later time and drains the battery.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#26 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I agree this is great data for someone to compare their data against and it's a relatively simple procedure to collect the data.

How did the 9V battery in the multimeter hold up?  What multimeter are you using?  Mine is probably 15 years old or more. It might be time for a new one that can record data.

#27 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 760 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

9V made it through two nights without a problem.  Meter is UNI-T model UT61D.  I chose it for the optically isolated data output and the 0.01 millivolt resolution on the lowest scale (most in this price range only go to 0.1).  It comes with an RS232 cable but there is supposed to be an optional USB cable available.  It seems to be an OK low cost meter but I haven't tested it much.  Bought through Amazon from RobotJoy.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 12V, Current, Battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·