Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Bike Rack on 2014 C-Max

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,421 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

...so as not to stress the wheels/spokes.

What do you think happens when you ride it? There's no way I can cinch a strap as tight as Mother Earth already does! I wouldn't worry...

Frank

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

What do you think happens when you ride it? There's no way I can cinch a strap as tight as Mother Earth already does! I wouldn't worry...

Frank

I think you may have missed the part that I'm using ratchet tie downs.  Plenty of force with those.

I didn't mention that with this setup I can't open the lift gate as it contacts the front wheel.  If I invert the bike, the gate will have plenty of clearance and if I remove the wheels (and place inside car) it should also make the bike less desirable to snatch/grab low lifes.

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMD
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

After I got rear-ended, I ended up replacing my old Thule hitch bike rack for a Inno Aero Light bike rack. http://www.autoanyth...9A4840A0A0.aspx

It's partially made of aluminum, so it's a little lighter than the all steel racks out there. Slides into my Ecohitch easily. Comes with a hitch lock and bike rack lock, so no need to purchase those separately. Also has a handy foot pedal that lets you tilt the hitch out of the way so you can open the hatch. All for half the price of an equivalent Thule/Yakima hitch rack! And made in the USA (though the parent company is Japanese). I'll try to upload some pics later.

Only knock I have is that it is next to impossible to get 4 bikes on the rack (I suppose if you had 4 super skinny adult bikes, you'd be able to. Forget 4 bikes if some of them are kids bikes).

Edited by bro1999, 17 September 2014 - 12:01 PM.

• fotomoto likes this

#24 OFFLINE   kaptnk228

kaptnk228

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

We had a trailer hitch installed and also have the foot release switch on our 2013 with no problems.  I will be modifying our luggage carrier to also fit on the hitch like the one above.

#25 OFFLINE   A2gemini

A2gemini

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-max "Phantom"

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

Tick, tick, tick.
Countdown to ordering our rack next week.
We decided on the 1Up USA after looking at the options.
We will set it up as a single but get the attachment to make it a double.
It is light weight enough that I should be able to mount and unmount the rack by myself so it doesn't have to live on Phantom.

Our bikes are carbon fiber, so we don't want to stack load them inside the car. For longer road trips, we can put them both inside the Flex (taking off the seat post)

For the serious bike traveler - the new Transit Connect Wagon long base holds at least 2 bikes inside standing up. It will also hold a tandem with room for 2. A triple is harder as not enough passenger room.

I looked but Phantom (my c-max) thought she was a better city car and definitely cuter so we went with the CMax over the connect.

#26 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

I recently built a used Ridley Noah carbon roadbike frame with full ultegra sets.  It's so beautiful like a work of art.  I find myself just staring at it!

20141115_153541_zpsin9ueaf0.jpg

#27 OFFLINE   A2gemini

A2gemini

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

Twins - that is a beauty!
I see the twins are Energi's. Have you put your bike inside? Bikes and cross country skis looked like a headache in the energi. I am hoping for a redesign in the hatch by the time I need a new buggy.

Of course, your bicycle does not understand a red vehicle - definitely not a match. Just having fun, my Escape was blue and Spirit is a magenta, white and black Colnago. Spirit is not a youngster but the ride is sweet.

After Phantom's next bath, I am going to take a picture of Phantom and Spirit for my profile picture

Not sure how many posts before I lose my New Member tag.

I am also trying to figure out how to link to Fuelly.

#28 OFFLINE   Mama Hen

Mama Hen

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBerkeley, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 c-max

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

I just bought my new 2014 c-max and I love it.
After reading these forums and surfing options on the Internet I just ordered a 1.25 Curt trailer hitch and a Softride Alumina Parallelogram 3 Bike Rack. I need to find somewhere to get the hitch installed.
The rack swings back and down (not to the side) when loaded to allow access to the hatch. I made my final selection by calling trailer.com who has excellent support selecting a system. Hope mine works well! I will report back.
Supposedly I will still be able to use the foot-activated switch with the hitch installed. But even if the sensor is blocked, I needed the power lift gate, not the foot thing.
Cheers,
Mama Hen

#29 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 695 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

I recommend doing away with unsightly and unruly bike mounts and buying a Chinese folding bike.   My wife bought hers in Jingdezhen but apparently they are now available in North America.  Hers is a "Giant".

http://www.bike-tren...e-2011-bicycle/

#30 OFFLINE   A2gemini

A2gemini

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

Wow! I am so happy with my EcoHitch and 1UpUSA rack on my C-max. I can put it on my car without assistance. I have been using it as a single so it doesn't block my view and can use my kick open on the hatch.
It is easy to mount a bike and very stable! I feel confident putting my Colnago or Seven on the rack!
I tested adding the second bike attachment today. It took less than a minute to turn my single into a double!
The picture is a few months old- so no snow around.Attached File  image.jpg   228.42KB   0 downloads

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·