Check Engine Light Issue

ScubaDadMiami

I now have just under 16,500 miles on my SEL Hybrid. On a Friday afternoon, and while on my way to the dentist, my check engine light came on (steady glow, yellow). The car seemed to run okay, so I went to the dentist, finished my procedure, and I was lucky enough to have the C-MAX start. Next, I ran a Vehicle Health Report, and I took a photo of the check engine light aglow.

On a chance that I could get some quick advice from my service advisor, I called his direct number. (I will post a separate shout out about this advisor and dealership.) This was probably about 2:30 on a Friday afternoon. He answered, and I explained my situation to him.

After first advising me to call for Road Service if there were any doubt about the car's safety or ability to make it to the dealership, he told me to come on over to have the C-MAX checked out. I made it to the dealership without any problem. The SA completed my paperwork, and had the Service Department take my car in for check-up.

About an hour later, my C-MAX was returned to me with the light turned back off. The SA told me that they had to reprogram a module, which cleared the light, and that he would not know which module it was that was reprogramed until getting the final paperwork. Meanwhile, he told me that I could leave before Miami's bad rush hour traffic would start, and he would have the paperwork mailed to me, if I preferred not to wait. Rather than creep home through unending traffic, I took his advice, and I headed for home without incident.

Unfortunately, I don't know what was done yet, because this just happened. I'll fill you in on what I find out about what triggered the event in the first place. So far, so good.

The EV+ locations have to be relearned, it takes a couple of weeks.

From other message threads in these forums, turning the car on and off 11 times in a row at the same location adds it to EV+ memory right away.

If I recall correctly, up to 5 "frequent" locations are stored. Frequency of visits is important: If you visit the same location just once or twice a week, it is not saved automatically.

Ford press release, Nov 8, 2012: http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-ford-hybrid26rsquos-ev2643-feature-37344

Edited by kostby

From other message threads in these forums, turning the car on and off 11 times in a row at the same location adds it to EV+ memory right away.

If I recall correctly, up to 5 "frequent" locations are stored. Frequency of visits is important: If you visit the same location just once or twice a week, it is not saved automatically.

Ford press release, Nov 8, 2012: http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-ford-hybrid26rsquos-ev2643-feature-37344

Quite possible. I was using the basic information from the 2014 owner manual.

Quite possible. I was using the basic information from the 2014 owner manual.