Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sudden unintended liftgate closure

liftgate hatchback unexplain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pipewriter

pipewriter

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Cmax SEL

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

My 2013 SEL liftgate works fine in all modes (key fob, dashboard, foot sensor and gate sill pushbutton) but after I spend a few seconds standing almost completely still under it when open, something tells it to close and it bangs me in the head. Well, not real hard but still it is annoying. Usually happens when I am just standing there doing something in the cargo area, not moving my feet at all. The dealer says there is no sensitivity adjustment for the kick motion sensors. Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes besides wearing my helmet? Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Never had this problem. The only problem I had was with it sometimes taking extra kicks, but that was fixed as soon as the update came out.

Does this only happen in this single location, or has it also happened in other places? Wondering if there is something going on in the location that could be a trigger.

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,487 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

I have a problem sometimes with door all the way up that it will come down a ways which is annoying, but I think it is cause by having the extra weight of bike rack attached to it. I will push it back up and then push on door button for five seconds until beeps to reset it. Sometimes that works. :)

Paul   

Edited by ptjones, 12 November 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,398 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

I suspect you either have an overly sensitive "kick" sensor, or are unaware of an action that triggers the sensor. It could be seeing your ankles or shins moving into the sensor's scan area. Do you hear a "beep" when it starts to close?

I have installed a 2" trailer hitch and that would solve your problem... almost completely blocks the sensor; it took a while to find the remaining sweet spot, as I find "kick" to be a really neat feature now that I'm used to it.

Have fun,

Frank.

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,487 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

I suspect you either have an overly sensitive "kick" sensor, or are unaware of an action that triggers the sensor. It could be seeing your ankles or shins moving into the sensor's scan area. Do you hear a "beep" when it starts to close?

I have installed a 2" trailer hitch and that would solve your problem... almost completely blocks the sensor; it took a while to find the remaining sweet spot, as I find "kick" to be a really neat feature now that I'm used to it.

Have fun,

Frank.

Are you worried about door opening with hitch bike rack. I think it can be disabled. The extra weight makes the Hatch close good every time. :)

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

Do you have a cat?   :)

Custom Search