Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Hitch Weight Ratings; Curt (350?) vs. Torquelift (200)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eldrijt

eldrijt

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationAL
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energi

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

I plan to carry an electric wheelchair on a receiver mounted electric lift. The lift weighs 100 lb. and the chairs weigh in the 130 lb. range. So here is the dilemma. I need a 2" receiver with more than 230 lb. capacity. Curt only comes in the 1.25 " size. The basic difference between the hitches is 2 extra side bolts on the Curt requiring drilling. The Torquelift comes in the 2" size. I was going to drill 2 extra holes in the Torquelift to raise the capacity but then i saw a Drawtite hitch identical to the Curt but the capacity stated 200Lb. 

Link drawtite 24896

So is the Curt really 350? Is the 200 for the car itself no matter which hitch i use?

I'd be curious to know how the Torquelift hitch behaves when a 200Lb man stands on a hitch hauler. With someone watching for flex in the car/hitch attach points. How sturdy does it feel? I bet the ratings are very conservative but I wouldn't want to trash a $4000 chair.

Thanks,

jim

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,327 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

I assume you're referring to tongue weight? A 350 lb. tongue weight implies a Class II hitch, but then, so does a 2" receiver. I doubt if any vendor would rate a hitch as Class II for a car that's not rated for towing in the first place

I installed the 2" Class I hitch from Torklift, based on this thread. About twice the price of a Curt or the Drawtite you linked, but no drilling, and no comparison mechanically. The extra cost buys you 3 mounting points (there's a center bracket) and I suspect it greatly exceeds Class I specs. I didn't stand on it, but I didn sit on our cargo platform, a far greater load than your 230 lb. I'm afraid. It felt like an extension of the car...

Given the Torklift fits the car, I'd want equivalent features in any competetive hitch to warrant consideration in your application. Perhaps someone with high hitch load experience will chime in!

Have fun,

Frank

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

I have the curt class II hitch and judging by it's beefy build I have no doubts to the 350lb rating.  

#4 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,327 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

... I doubt if any vendor would rate a hitch as Class II for a car that's not rated for towing in the first place

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/12092

I stand corrected... but I'd still go with the Toklift for it's 3-point attachment, regardless the rating.

Frank

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·