Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

LED Ghosting and solution

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notquitesane

notquitesane

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationEdmonton
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL 303A

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

I've had my C-MAX for a week and I've already replaced a bunch lights from incandescent to LED.   I don't know i you guys know about LED ghosting, but when the LEDs are supposed to be off, there is still a tiny bit of current left in the circuit to cause the LED to glow very faintly.  I just ran into this with my licence plate lights and my high mount center brake light.  Might be happening with others, but I haven't been looking that hard.

I used 194 LEDs from Diode Dynamics, the HP5 (brighter) version for the center brake light, the puddle light and signal light in the mirror and I used the HP3 (dimmer) version for the licence plate lights.  When it was darker outside, as soon as I unlock the car, the parking lights come on and I saw a couple of the LEDs in the center brake light start to faintly glow and flicker.  After I lock the car, they would continue to do this for quite a while.  I learned that putting a 1K ohm resistor in parallel with the LED bulb will prevent this phenomenon.  It allows the trace amount of current and alternate path, preventing the LEDs from glowing and flickering.

In the attached picture is where I put the resistor for my center brake light.  No more flicker/glow!

I just shoved the resistor in friction fit for now.  It was threatening to rain on me when I was doing this.  I'll secure the resistors better, but it solved the issue.  

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·