Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

DRL / Daytime Running Lights (lamps)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-MAX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would like to mount LEDs in the foglight-delete panel on my SE model, and in fact, have already done a test fitting. I think they look great so far. What I need to do now is find an accessory wire under the hood which is live whenever the car is on. I plan on drawing power for my LEDs from that wire (since these LEDs, like all LEDs, consume an absolutely tiny amount of power, so there's no problem piggy-backing them off something else, anything else). I also plan on wiring in a relay so that whenever the headlights are on, my LEDs are off. That part is simple. Really, the hardest part, is finding a wire that's live only when the car is on. I'm not sure which to use. I could run my own wire, I suppose, from the battery (the 12v, of course) to the cabin, and then put in a switch, but it'd be great to avoid that step, if anyone knows how. Any ideas? Thanks!

Just a reminder that although your allowed to install "non-OEM" Parts and accessories thanks to the Magnuson_Moss Warranty Act, if you spice these LED`s into the electrical system and Ford deems that it caused the failure of some other component, they will fight like hell to Void your New Car Warranty.  Proceed my friend with caution!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hmm, good point. I will definitely keep that in mind, and possibly rework some connection ideas accordingly. Thanks.

#43 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hmm, good point. I will definitely keep that in mind, and possibly rework some connection ideas accordingly. Thanks.

Best bet would be if you can retrofit the "knock-out plugs" where the SEL Fog Lamps are installed with an appropriate LED Daytime Running Light Configuration regardless if it requires a separate Power Module, is to ask your local Ford Dealer`s Service Department if they would splice in and do the install for a nominal Labor Charge.  I`d rather pay 1 hours Labor plus (shop materials) and have the Dealership responsible if they chose to make the retrofit.  That way, should another component fail attributed to the LED DRL`s, you would have some "redress" that the Dealership did the installation and you assumed that (they) would have refused to install the Unit if they thought it might interfere with the Vehicles functionality. Chancing the loss of a New Vehicle Warranty to save a few dollars with a DIY Installation makes no sense.  I`d also avoid any (non) Ford Dealership too.  An Outfit that specializes in custom Radio and Electronic upgrades will be of no help either.  Ford would just consider them to be a non-authorized Repair Co and not much difference then a self installation or bring your Vehicle to a "shade tree mechanic".

#44 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

That's an excellent idea, actually. Yeah, I should see how much that costs.

#45 OFFLINE   ceemax71

ceemax71

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 251 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMissouri
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

CarpeNivem,

If you decide to do the installation yourself, I suggest referencing the C-Max wiring diagrams.

You can access the wiring diagrams with a paid subscription here. ($10.95 for 72 hours or $19.95 for 1 month for 2013 C-Max).

The diagrams can be printed from the website.  You also get access to the workshop manual and service bulletins.

• JAZ and CarpeNivem like this

#46 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

That's an excellent idea, actually. Yeah, I should see how much that costs.

I guess what your interested in is the LED DRL`s, not simply having the Canadian Spec Daytime Running Lights that engage your Low Beam Head Lamps at 80% output when the Vehicle is running and the Tail Lamps are not.  That should be a 10 minute mouse click away at your Dealership using the Vehicles smart junction box and the IDS Programmer and making the changes in the Body Control Module. Some previous Post have said that Ford removed the software to enable/activate DRL`s on US Spec Cars but in the Lincoln Blog, one owner complained repeatedly to his selling DEalership and after weeks of demanding the DRL`s be enabled, suddenly the Service Department contacted the Ford Tech Support folks who provided the magic trick to activate the DRL`s. Software Patch or perhaps authorization to allow the DRL`s to be enabled? Funny, its available for Fleet Buyers only with a valid "FIN" #  and is just a $45 option in the Order Guide but retail purchasers in the US can`t order them, go figure?

#47 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Here we go again.  Took Delivery of my 2013 C-MAX yesterday and instructed Dealership to activate/enable the Daytime Running Lights, DRL`s.  Same old crap.  Can`t be done.  Only "Canadian" and Fleet Ordered Vehicles that were ordered with option # 942 for $45 have this ability.  BCM does not allow DRL activation using the IDS programmer computer.  Going to another Ford Dealership next week.  They (will) be activated if they need to get a software patch or program shipped down here from Detroit or Windsor, Canada.  

#48 OFFLINE   ChuckJr

ChuckJr

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX
  • Current Vehicle:13 C-Max SEL

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Any luck yet Phil?  I came across these today and think they just might work. If someone is willing to fork over the money to see if they fit in the US CMAX fog light pod?

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B00BZDQIKW

#49 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Any luck yet Phil?  I came across these today and think they just might work. If someone is willing to fork over the money to see if they fit in the US CMAX fog light pod?

Chuck, Jr.  I Posted perhaps in another Forum that I did indeed have my Ford 2013 C-MAX SE DRL`s Daytime Driving LIghts finally enabled/activated 2 weeks ago.  My original Selling Dealership told me they attempted to activate the DRL`shad responded that unfortunately on the 2013 Ford`s and C-MAX in particular, the Option located in the BCM Body Control Module that listed Daytime Running Lights under "Exterior Lighting" could no longer be modified or changed.  Went to a  second Ford Dealership outside the Area where Vehicle was purchased.  They tried and went to far as to contact Ford Dealership Technical Support Line and got a email reply that stated that no longer can the Daytime Running Lights, DRL`s feature be either activated/enabled nor deactivated/disabled unless it was done so at point of assembly/manufacture (unless) if "ordered" as a Fleet Option # 942 for $45 or the Vehicle was built for Registration in Canada where they are required by Federal Law there.  Also was (warned) that attempting to activate/enable DRL`s might be in violation of Federal Safety Standards Act too!  Funny, U.S. Spec Vehicles that were ordered with the Fleet Only available DRL Option would be in (violation) of that same statute, right?  Went to a third Ford Dealership, asked again if they could please activate the C-MAX`s DRL`s.  THey happen to be a high volume Ford Dealership that sells a lot of cars to Vacationing Canadians down here for the Winter.  They told me to leave the C-MAX with them for a few hours and for a Flat rate Labor charge of $100, the DRLs would be activated.  I came back, paid the Cashier the $100 and guess what, just like on my previous 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback, as said before, "Let There Be Light".  Don`t know how they did it, software or special over ride patch, but I got my Daytime Running Lights, finally activated.  I know on my Fiesta it took all of 10 minutes to do the re-configuration but since the Daytime Running Lights would have costed me $45 (if) I could have ordered them as a Fleet Only Option, paying a $100 wasn`t so bad for a safety feature I really wanted and desired.

• ScubaDadMiami and slampro like this

#50 OFFLINE   ChuckJr

ChuckJr

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

So in the CMax are the DRL's run off the headlights from factory/mod'ed BCM?

#51 OFFLINE   ceemax71

ceemax71

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 251 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMissouri
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

So in the CMax are the DRL's run off the headlights from factory/mod'ed BCM?

DRL is enabled by setting a programmable parameter in the BCM. 

The parameter apparently is not changeable through the IDS software.

But, obviously there is a back door to getting access to the parameter since Phil1336 found a dealer that could do it.

This is the description from the shop manual:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

NOTE: The DRL is a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

The DRL system utilizes the existing circuitry and components from the headlamp system and operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

The BCM monitors the ignition status, the headlamp switch and autolamp status.

Based on the inputs, the BCM activates the DRL.

The DRL are activated when the ignition is in RUN and the low beams have not been turned on by the autolamp system or the headlamp switch.

#52 OFFLINE   ChuckJr

ChuckJr

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

The day I received Phil's reply I had dropped off my Max for the scheduled 13B07/13B10 flashes. I simply stated to my SA, "hey in IDS you can enable the DRLs. I would like that done if you can." When I picked my Max the next afternoon the DRLs are on and they didn't charge me a penny!!  

#53 OFFLINE   Hybrid dude

Hybrid dude

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 153 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCambridge, MA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I've seen these combination DRL/Foglight housings on various sites. My yet unproven theory is that the foglight grill on the European spec focus would simply need to be rotated 180º and voila, it would fit a C-Max. However, I've not had one in hand to test the theory and no one has answered my question posted on European C-Max forums. I also didn't want to order from Europe and have it not work but if the Amazon seller is in the US, a return shouldn't be a problem. It's interesting that the third product photo on the site is upside down.

#54 OFFLINE   Tom

Tom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBethesda, Md.
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

Has anyone considered using their parking lights as a substitute for DRLs?  Less energy drain, but are they bright enough to be seen by oncoming drivers in the daylight?

#55 OFFLINE   shinytop

shinytop

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 163 posts
  • LocationPensacola
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:ShinyGray

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

iF you have fog lamps they can be on with your parking lights and they can be seen!

#56 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:17 AM

Just a reminder that although your allowed to install "non-OEM" Parts and accessories thanks to the Magnuson_Moss Warranty Act, if you spice these LED`s into the electrical system and Ford deems that it caused the failure of some other component, they will fight like hell to Void your New Car Warranty.  Proceed my friend with caution!

They can only void the part of the warranty affected. For example, they cant void the warrenty on the tranny becaue of LED lights installed—they have nothing to do with each other. Anyway, I am not sure how installing aux lights would damage anything, they are just low-power LED lights, nothing special.

Edited by SPL Tech, 09 February 2015 - 02:18 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

Has anyone considered using their parking lights as a substitute for DRLs?  Less energy drain, but are they bright enough to be seen by oncoming drivers in the daylight?

That is technically illegal in many states. Parking lights are exactly that, for parking. In many state's you cannot legally drive with your parking lights only on. Either full on or full off. That said, I have never seen anyone get pulled over for it. Parking lights are quite possibly the single most useless feature installed in every vehicle. In 15 years of driving I have never once found a real need for them. Parking lights used to start out as a separate circuit with an independent battery, in which you would activate them when the car was parked out in the dark. But now they are tied in with the rest of the electrical system and no one uses them, dark or not, they just park their car and leave it. Thus the parking light system has become a bit of a vestigiality organ where every car has it, but no one actually uses or needs it.

Edited by SPL Tech, 09 February 2015 - 02:24 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   Bugblndr

Bugblndr

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 98 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

That is technically illegal in many states. Parking lights are exactly that, for parking. In many state's you cannot legally drive with your parking lights only on. Either full on or full off. 

Interesting, up here where DRL's are mandatory, I have seen some models of cars that used front parking brakes as the DRL's.  I noticed them mostly on during the early years of DRL's, not sure if anyone still does this.

#59 OFFLINE   nm6r

nm6r

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSacramento, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

I picked up our new 2015 C-Max Energi earlier this week.  I found a menu for turning on the Daytime Running Lights.

It was easy, no additional charge or dealer involved.   :)

Ray

#60 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

I picked up our new 2015 C-Max Energi earlier this week.  I found a menu for turning on the Daytime Running Lights.

It was easy, no additional charge or dealer involved.   :)

Ray

It was added as a user option in the 2015. Not available to change on the 2014. The dealer could change it on the 2013.

All model years had fleet sales set the DRL to ON.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·