As you enjoy your new Tesla Model X and compare it to your future electric SUV plans, please consider these suggestions:
- Forget those fancy doors - instead, make them like the B-Max. Please make them like the B-Max!
- Forget those fancy 2nd row seats that just won't go away (see suggestions below).
- Put the batteries under the floor - you know why.
- All wheel drive standard - or at least an optional model.
- Selection of battery sizes with ability to upgrade later - would set Ford apart from everyone else (see below).
- SUV ground clearance - optional adjustable height would be great.
- Towing ability - proportional to size of vehicle.
- Spare tire options that include full size. At least provide a designed in storage space for a full size spare (see below).
- Good headroom on 1st and 2nd rows.
- Keep the front trunk and have storage areas in the back.
- Knobs for standard functions!
- Clean styling - no Cheshire cat grills of center passenger dashboards!
- Ready for autonomous driving upgrades.
- Best efficiency possible (with all the conflicting items above!).
- Some distinctive colors besides all the shades of white/silver/gray/black.
- As many independent options as possible (e.g. leather seats).
- A way to charge that competes with Tesla's Superchargers - both in speed, cost and availability!
SEATS: A most important item! We don't stand around our cars admiring the seats, we sit in them or remove/stow them to haul stuff - there needs to be the utmost flexibility. The front seat should fold flat (possibly to the back) and other passenger seats should fold flat and, ideally, also be removable. You should be able to haul long items across the front seat and up under the dash. Provide as many options as possible for mixing bodies and boxes!
SPARE: As mentioned above, design in proper storage capability for a full size spare. A full size or compact spare could be options or it could be left for the customer to obtain as desired. The front trunk might be a good place - or even a "Continental Tire"!
BATTERIES: Battery size options that can be upgraded later would be a big marketing plus. Someone who only needs a short range can purchase a less expensive model knowing that they can add more battery later if needed - or when they can afford it. Small SUVs could have 25, 50, 75kW options, larger ones 50, 75, 100kW all using the same 25kW module. The motor(s) might be sized for the largest option (they're not that expensive) and the inverters be part of the battery modules and operate in parallel.
CHARGING: Charging needs to be addressed right up front - similar to what Tesla has done. Why not install super fast chargers at all Ford dealers - Tesla doesn't have that option to any significant degree - and it would bring customers back to dealerships on a regular basis. Then add more at convenient travel locations. I like the concept of buying a "forever fueled car" - call it "Ford Forever"! Make the charging Free For Ford or sell lifetime charging with the car - just make sure it is very cost effective to drive that Model E Ford!
Address all the above items and I'm ready with a deposit - even for delivery 2 or 3 years out! Send a PM!