Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Windshield Sun Shade

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fordfan82

fordfan82

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMichigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Escape

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

How Much?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

It's about $50, but you get what you pay for. It really is quite well made. Every time I use it, I think, yeah, this was worth it.

#43 OFFLINE   RockwallRick

RockwallRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

The Wife and I have decided to stay with the Pro Trim Roll Up Sunblocker. She promised me that she would at least use it when she leaves her car at the Airport! If I

had seen this thread earlier I would have spent the extra money and bought the Ultimate Intro-Tech sunshade.

#44 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

I have either that particular sunshade or one very much like it (got it custom made for $55) and *I* think it's too much trouble to put into place (having used the circular fold up ones for years on our Durango).  Plus -- it takes up *way* too much room.  So add another central Florida guy with a sunshield to sell <bg>.

I may see if I can persuade my wife to use it when she takes Sestra to work (because she's really the one who would park it in the sun all day long for the two days of the week she does work) but I'm really thinking I'll see if I can find the largest circular shades they make and see how they work in our car (you can put them in and out with one easy motion and we used to use two of them in the Durango all the time).  I'm not convinced these custom shades are any more effective.

(Oh, and Rick -- did you get your C-Max from Sun State Ford as well?)

Edited by Kelleytoons, 05 August 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 677 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

I prefer Meguiar's Quick Detailer.  http://www.amazon.co...GK4KALXLQJQ4JTD

Another option is to also put window film on all the windows, including the windshield (clear on the front of course).  I have 3M Crystalline which blocks 99.9% of UV.

+1 on Meguiar's vs Armor All.   Armor-All contains alcohol and will crack a dashboard like nobody's business.  Meguiar's is mineral-oil based.  They also make a great leather conditioner.

Want your tires to look brand new but without that tacky shiny Armor-all finish?  Try a little brake fluid on a cotton cloth after you wash and dry them.  Works like a charm.  Any old brake fluid will do.

#46 OFFLINE   RockwallRick

RockwallRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

I tried the largest circular sunshade ( super jumbo ) that Walmart sells but no worky! I also tried a fold up sunshade from Advance Auto that is supposed to fit the Cmax but it wasn't big enough. As

far as protecting the dash, I have used Aerospace 303 protectant in my Truck and the dash still looks like new after 10 years in the Texas and Florida Sun.

We got our C-max from Weikert Ford in Lake Wales. ( They got it from some dealer up in the panhandle?? )

#47 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

I used the "regular" (Universal?) sunshade from Wallmart (these are all made by Basix or whatever the heck they are calling their company that they use many names for) and it fits fine if you turn it lengthwise (which is to say, it's rectangular so if you turn the two of them clockwise 90 degrees they fit on either side of the rearview mirror).  You don't have to lower your visors or anything, as they can fit fine jammed in between the mirror and the edge of the window.

The jumbo ones are WAY too large for our vehicle (the problem is the rearview mirror gets in the way -- in theory, you might be able to use just *one* of these across the whole thing, but it's actually a little too small for that anyway, for those thinking they might do some cutting and trimming of it).  But two of the regular ones work just great (and are SO much easier to store than a custom fitted one.  I just fold them up in less than one second and stick them at the driver's edge of the passenger seat).

Our C-Max came from Jacksonville, although we bought it in Orlando.

(I'll try and post some images today to show folks how it works -- got to go out this morning anyway and get a new microwave, as ours nuked itself last night :>)

Edited by Kelleytoons, 06 August 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   RockwallRick

RockwallRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, I need to come up with something that is "Wife friendly"!! lol  Must be convenient for storage and easy to use!!

#49 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 554 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

EDIT/UPDATE: Fixed the descriptions 

There are at least three other sunshade discussions as well:

I purchased the Intro-Tech roll-up model FD55 from PartsCheap.com for $36.95 with free shipping. Silver on the 'outside' white on the 'inside'.

http://www.partschea...ade-p/fd-55.htm

Apparently same shade on eBay is now 30.90 with free shipping from fanattic1296:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f33b53afa

There are also places selling the FD55R. but I'm not sure what the difference is.

It appears to me that ours is identical to the Heatshield shown in the other two threads.

I posted a couple of pics in this thread:

http://fordcmaxhybri...otive-sunshade/

Another sun shade thread. The link for photos goes back another page on the thread you're viewing.

http://fordcmaxhybri...r-front-window/

More pics of HeatShield roll-up. Fotomoto also posted pics of two of the smaller 'oval' shades turned sideways.

Heatshield looks and apparently works the same as the Intro-Tech roll-up.

http://fordcmaxhybri...-the-2013-cmax/

Edited by kostby, 06 August 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#50 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Um, don't see the pics of the Wal-Mart shade but like I said I'll post some here this afternoon (just about to head out now, in fact).

What I *should* do is post a video, because it's not just how it fits but how easy it is for (um, the wife?) anyone to put in and take down.  Literally takes less than two seconds for either process and thus isn't something you ever mind doing (because otherwise you just aren't going to do it.  I can now do it so fast any passenger who isn't aware of how it works generally goes "Huh?  How did you DO that?" and I have to slow down and show it in slow motion.

#51 OFFLINE   Texas Flood

Texas Flood

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

FWIW, I bought the IntroTech shade for my wife's CMax. It is very well made and fully covers the windshield, but it is really, really big and she rarely makes the effort to put it up. If I were going to purchase now, I'd go with the Walmart circular shades. I have a friend who bought a set for his Expedition nearly 10 years ago and they're still in good shape despite the Texas summers.

#52 OFFLINE   RockwallRick

RockwallRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

I may end up going back to Walmart after all? Patiently waiting to see Kellytoons pics.

#53 OFFLINE   mtcmax

mtcmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMontana
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Heading to Wally tomorrow as it sounds like a winner to me.

#54 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

2014-08-06%2012.21.04.jpg

2014-08-06%2012.34.19.jpg

Sorry it took so long, had late (9:30pm) tennis last night and didn't get up until about an hour ago.

These are the "universal" Windshield size ones, cost about $10 and come in various colors/designs (for years in the Durango we used the silver ones, but I like these Florida looking ones even better, even if they *are* sideways :>).

I was going to do a video on how to do it but this is WAY cuter:  

(And I can do it in less than 1 second but I have a lot larger arms :>).

#55 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

I should add a few things:

1) These "Universal" shields are 25x28 inches, and I put them in lengthwise (top to bottom).  The actual length we could use (assuming we wanted complete coverage of the dash) would be more on the order of 34 inches and you can see they don't come all the way forward.  For me this isn't an issue but it might be for some of you.

2) They make two more sizes: Super Jumbo (which as Rick notes, is too big for our cars) is 31x38.  You *could* use the 31 inches just fine, but that 38" would be WAY too big across and bunch up around the rearview mirror (I assume that was what Rick experienced when he tried to use them).  However, the Jumbo size might be an even better fit that the Universal.  It measures 28x31, so you could use it turned the same way as the Universal but that would give us 3 extra inches of coverage.  I don't think the 28 inch width would then be too big across the center (it might, but it would be worth a try). 

3) You can't get the Jumbo size at Wally World -- they only sell the Universal and Super Jumbo.  Locally the only place I can find which carries them is Pep Boys, and I may take a trip down there today just to get one to see (heck, for $10 it's worth the experiment).  I'm playing tennis at 2pm so I won't be able to report back until after then (which will be around 5pm) but if someone can get one sooner let me know here and I'll not waste my time.

Edited by Kelleytoons, 07 August 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   RockwallRick

RockwallRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for posting those pics! I think you are on the right track with this!! :happy feet:

#57 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

So I did go to Pep Boys and got the "Jumbo" size and lo and behold it's the same as the "Universal" size (but I'm glad I got it because it's the "Deluxe Silver" which is what I really wanted anyway).

So there are really three sizes, but four designations for them, just FYI.  They work, they are quick and easy to setup, and take zero room in the car.  And, best of all, my wife will use them <bg>.

#58 OFFLINE   RockwallRick

RockwallRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

My Wife is spoiled rotten! lol For her Charger she had one that fit the windsheild perfectly without any external support and stored away between the passenger seat and console like you show in your pic! The

KEY point is .. finding something that she will use!!! I think you have come up with the best solution I have seen so far! We will probably go with the Silver one as well.

#59 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, I have to admit this solution isn't perfect -- while it doesn't require any external support and does stow away easily and tidily, I will admit it does not fit perfectly and is a bit "fussy" when you put it up (you have two pieces and you push one to one side and the other to the other so not just like putting one smooth piece in place like the ginormous custom made one I also have).

What *would* be perfect would be one of these springy things custom cut to fit our windshield but I don't think that's likely to be found (although that won't stop me from continuing to look).  And, as you said, finding something that someone will use (in our cases, our wives) is the most important.  Since my own has been -- dare I say it? -- "trained" to use these on the Durango it's a sure bet she will on our C-Max.  

#60 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

With only a little bit of practice, I think the Introtech Sunshade becomes not very difficult at all to put up or take down. My wife and I each have no trouble with it. It works very well, and personally, I think it looks a lot nicer than any other sunshade I've ever seen, in this thread or elsewhere. Oh course, to each their own. If you've already bought an Introtech and you don't like it, I won't try to change your mind. That's just silly. But if you haven't bought one yet, don't let the disapproval in this thread sway you completely. We love ours.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·