NAV/GPS Workaround

I'm fairly confident that people having NAV problems will find relief in are next version of the NAV software. Ford needs to provide that as soon as possible. So, anyway, and not to be flip, but until you have the software upgrade that resolves the NAV issues, here's a workaround for those carrying cell phones that have decent GPS/NAV:

41s01eet7BL.jpg

I haven't tried this, since NAV has been fine for me. You might need to use a mount that attaches to the dash instead.

Edited by Riddley

I was making a video yesterday of the GPS tracking error in my CMax with 3.1.3 software, and wanted to show how inaccurate the Ford GPS is by comparing it with my $150 Garmin, so I tried to attached it to the semi-smooth dash area in front of the CD player, but it fell off within a few seconds.  So I ended up just holding it with semi-poor results.  Wouldn't it have been nice if Ford made that area really smooth to hold suction cup devices!

I plan to post my video on YouTube and it will be the subject of another thread, but here's a picture showing the about 30-50 foot lag error in the Ford GPS verses reality, and the Garmin.  I was stopped at the intersection of the two two-lane roads.

GPS.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I was making a video yesterday of the GPS tracking error in my CMax with 3.1.3 software, and wanted to show how inaccurate the Ford GPS is by comparing it with my $150 Garmin, so I tried to attached it to the semi-smooth dash area in front of the CD player, but it fell off within a few seconds.  So I ended up just holding it with semi-poor results.  Wouldn't it have been nice if Ford made that area really smooth to hold suction cup devices!

I plan to post my video on YouTube and it will be the subject of another thread, but here's a picture showing the about 30-50 foot lag error in the Ford GPS verses reality, and the Garmin.  I was stopped at the intersection of the two two-lane roads.

GPS.jpg

Hmm, I've never seen that one.  For me, it always thinks I'm farther right than I really am.  Well not always, just every once in a while when it messes up.  But when it does mess up, it puts me to the right.

Does yours always put you behind?

Just snap some pictures that show your car driving on the houses, that will do it. I really don't think any of these issues will be resolved until 3.5.1 is released - thus far, I have seen no one with the newer version complain (watch - as soon as I post this, someone with 3.5.1 will post a thread with a GPS complaint... :nonono: )

This is what I've determined in a short test and what the video will show.  My GPS location lags behind my true location.  If I take a 90d turn without stopping the GPS location icon will turn, but because it was behind me it will now be parallel to the road I am on, indeed moving over houses.  However, if I have to stop before turning, the GPS will make the turn too as it has time to catch up.

Here's a typical example - my car is where the yellow arrow is, while the GPS had been showing me on the road to the left and then jumped off to drive through the houses. 

GPS2.jpg

And indeed pictures might do, but I think some YouTube videos and a wide distribution might be more effective in getting Ford's attention so they can speed up release of the software that may fix this, software that has been on production vehicles for nearly two months now.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

My third Garmin, the GPS V, which I bought about 10 or 12 years ago, had a selectable feature called "Snap to Road".  When that was turned on it was smart enough to know that you were probably on the road instead of driving through houses or in the ocean.

$1,000 and the damn thing is worse than a 10 year old unit.

Hey Folks this is the EXACT problem I was having. I had been complaining long and loud all over the various Ford forums.

The dealer ended up replacing the 'GPMS' unit about two weeks ago.  I believe it's the antenna ...

Since then the NAV system has tracked perfectly.

GO GET THIS DONE

Edited by rtshinn

Just snap some pictures that show your car driving on the houses, that will do it. I really don't think any of these issues will be resolved until 3.5.1 is released - thus far, I have seen no one with the newer version complain (watch - as soon as I post this, someone with 3.5.1 will post a thread with a GPS complaint... :nonono: )

I have the 3.5.1 and I hate to say his, but...

I live on an Island, and take a car ferry several times per week. What I've noticed is that as soon as the ferry leaves the shore, the navigation unit refuses to advance my position on the screen, as the boat takes me across the water. The navigation unit displays the water just fine, but it is as if, it is afraid to send the little arrow into the shipping channel. It happens in either direction (to and from the island). The next time I am on the ferry I'll take some snap shots. That is, if there are no whales about.

What are the chances we'll see a fix for this??!!

Did you get your dealer to put in a new GPMS? See above

No.  I wanted to document the condition so I could show the tech in order to proceed with the GPMS or other solutions.  However, I will probably wait a few weeks to see if 3.5.1 arrives before going back for another few hours at the dealership.

I would like to know if those who have gotten a new GPMS, whatever that is, have software version 3.1.3. or 3.5.1.

I misspoke before, it is a GPSM. From what the service folks told me it stands for "global positioning system module". I am looking at my service record and it says:

"navigation system not working properly, puts the vehicle slightly off of actual location and then gives incorrect directions. Cause: verified customer concern; ran oasis found TSB 13-3-11; Performed reprogram of GPSM as specified by TSB; Concern still present; performed pinpoint test for concern found to have defective GPSM; Removed instrument panel installed GPSM and performed PMI."

The part number is: CJ5Z*10E893*C

I also have 3.1.3 and was assuming that until the software update came out I would not be able to use the navigation. I was pleasantly surprised when it started working after this visit. I have been watching it pretty closely over the past few days and it seems to be fixed. (knocking on coffee table). If it stops working again I will be sure to post it.

No.  I wanted to document the condition so I could show the tech in order to proceed with the GPMS or other solutions.  However, I will probably wait a few weeks to see if 3.5.1 arrives before going back for another few hours at the dealership.

I would like to know if those who have gotten a new GPMS, whatever that is, have software version 3.1.3. or 3.5.1.

My Nav firmware is 2.15.17 I think.

Dealer replaced my GPS module this morning but called and told me that it did not fix the problem.  They still have C-Max and are trying to work out the problem with Ford.

UPDATE:  GPS WORKS - YIPEE - my C-Max is now perfect.  We drove around and it stays on track.  No wandering around in the bushes or off road.

Here is what the work order says:

"Copied the info from the old GPSM on to the IDS.  Removed the ICP & removed the GPMS.  Installed the new GPMS.  Reinstalled the IPC.  Downloaded the info back into the new GPSM."

Edited by joe