Alaska member

donhak

I have been on the forum for a while but just picked up my C-Max Hybrid SEL with 302a accessory package last night.  It is Ice Storm Metallic with Medium Light Stone leather.  I like the combination.  Ice Storm definitely changes character depending on lighting but have not had it long enough to see it in bright sunny weather, which should bring out more of the blue over the gray and light green.  Lots of gadgets to learn and program but got Homelink setup for my garage door opener this morning and starting to work on Sync settings and left screen information settings.  The sales person helped setup my phone in a couple minutes and already had my home programmed into the GPS but admitted that from my research that I probably knew more about the car than he did.  I was the first to order one in Alaska with a long wait, but it was worth it.  Dealers are still on a tight allocation here.  This was the second one sold by my dealer, just getting one more in my shipment and three on order.

I just started a gallery album.

I know that you will probably only see good MPG's a few months out of the year in Alaska, but you will see better than most cars on the road up there for mpg's.  Cold weather and mpg's don't mix and that holds true for any vehicle.  Please keep us updated on how your car performs in extreme cold!  Most winter days around here are below freezing temps, but occaisionally we get a warmer day and my mileage skyrockets on those days!

• 2 years later...

Hey, we are moving to Anchorage from Houston (care to guess what we do?) and we're are exploring vehicles... I currently have a 2013 Oxford White C-Max SEL, and love it (I had an EcoBoost F-150 Supercrew before, and it was just too much - the C-Max does what I need so much better, especially since I added a 2" receiver to it for a bike rack and a StowAway2). But, the big concern in Anchorage is the snow....

We are considering living on the Hillside (or at least in the south). Wife has an Explorer Sport 4WD that she will use to get to and from work (I will be the stay-at-home parent), so we'll have space and capabilities to 'get out', at least until we decide we need a 4WD Suburban... 

I'm thinking of keeping the C-Max because the last two times we've moved, its taken each of us two cars to find what we wanted, and I want to have a chance to live in a place before deciding on something different (like a Suburban....). So, I guess I have the following questions:

1. Is the C-Max tenable in Anchorage? I grew up in Michigan, and have a lot of snow-driving experience (and I'm not a leadfoot).
  2. If I decide to sell in 6-18 months, is there a market for used C-Max's in Anchorage? Or is the car lot going to look at me like I'm crazy AND stupid?
  3. Anybody know how hard it is to install the ICE block heater? Do I need to drain the oil, or is it a relatively straightforward bolt-on?
  4. Any other thoughts on having a C-Max in Anchorage? 
  5. What's the best source to get a new set of rims for snow tires/studs? Do I need all four, or is it fine to just swap the front?
  6. Snow tires versus studs - thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I have one of the first C-Maxes sold in Alaska and still love it.

1. I have no problems getting around in the winter.  It has as good or better traction as the mid-sized Saturn that I owned before it.  I got the car just after the snowiest winter ever, and last year was our lowest snowfall ever.  This winter is forecast to be warmer than normal again.
  2. I do not see a lot of C-Maxes on the road here, but hybrids are far from scarce.
  3. C-Maxes built for the Alaska market come with the block heater no charge, so I am no help on ease of installation.  In the Anchorage area with a garage, I personally never use it.  Fairbanks it would be a different story.
  4. With cooler weather, gas mileage will definitely be lower, but it is much better that what I was getting with any car before.  I get low 40's in the summer and 30's the rest of the year with mostly city driving, but I have only 5 1/2 miles to work, and the car does not have a good chance to get to operating temperature in the winter.
  5. The car will take Focus rims.  I bought mine from Costco and are suitable for winter tires.  You definitely want all four to keep the anti-lock and stability control happy.  Pictures are in my gallery with specifications in the caption.
  6. Since going to them, I am very happy with studless Blizzaks again from Costco.  Over the life of the tire they give better traction than studded snows as the studs wear.  They will wear faster if left on in too warm of weather and dry roads because of the softer tire compound that give the tire their snow and ice performance but with the winter tires on their own rims, I can choose when to put them on or take them off.
  7. Depending on where you live on the hillside, four wheel drive can still almost be a must for access.  I live in south Anchorage off the hillside and have no problems getting around but have lived here almost 40 years.  Three-quarters of the vehicles in the ditch on the highway in the winter are four-wheel drives going too fast for conditions.  I have had four wheel drive but for handling on snow and ice prefer front wheel drive for predictability on how it will handle.

I sold a set of Grill Covers to a member in Alaska couple of years ago and I think he added an Oil Pan Pad Heater too. Not sure. I would also add another Oil Pan Pad Heater to the back of block.  They are easy to install, just stick on.  These additions would increase MPG's by about 5 mpg's.  Look up Oil Pan Heaters and Block Heaters on this Forum for more info :)

Paul

The only thing a C-Max struggles with in winter is deep snow. It's no good for plowing, even though Traction Control can be switched off as needed.

I'll second 4 snows. I got Michelin X-ice3  215/60-16's on Ford steel wheels from Tire Rack. It also makes up for the lack of spare if you hole a sidewall like I did.

There is an argument for studs, but it depends on conditions. I expect you'll be a lot colder and dryer than we are, with fewer days above freezing, and a lot less salt on the roads. That last bit is a good thing, as a frozen snow-covered road is much safer than one that thaws every day, and freezes every night.

And visibility... I love driving in snow with this car because I can see the road better than anything else I've driven these last 45 years.

Have fun,

Frank