Hello. My name is Thom.

Thom

My sister bought a hybrid a few years back and I liked the feel of it (Prius).  the fuel economy is also attractive.  I was looking for a car to pull behind my motorhome, so I bought a 2014 C-Max Energi.

With 70,000 miles on it and the battery out of warranty, I took a leap of faith.  I am looking to get some input on how to go about getting a new battery and other tips from owners.  Wish me luck.

Welcome!

1 hour ago, Thom said:

... getting a new battery...

Why? I assume you're not getting the kind of range you expect. That's common in plug-ins that were kept fully charged. The most straightforward solution would be to pass on the charging station and drive it like a hybrid. Hybrid operation uses a charge level of 50% +/- 25%, so the HVB doesn't age like it does in a plug-in. The HVB in a hybrid isn't a primary power source, but rather an energy buffer, allowing you to store and retrieve energy that would otherwise be wasted. 

You'll find that, unlike the Prius, all C-Max have an EV system capable of primary power (88Kw), so the driving experience is far more interesting. And lest you feel you're losing something in short plug-in EV range, you also gain an oil pump that's believed responsible for the higher reliability of early Energi transmission. Here's a link to some data. Maintenance is nearly all oil and tires to 150K miles on 3 of 4 vehicles tested, with no tranys replaced. The C-Max Hybrid test to 160K miles replaced 3 of 4 transmissions at ~100K. In this respect, getting a 2014 Energi means you've lucked out!!

HAve fun,

Frank, a former 2013 Hybrid owner

On 5/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, Thom said:

My sister bought a hybrid a few years back and I liked the feel of it (Prius).  the fuel economy is also attractive.  I was looking for a car to pull behind my motorhome, so I bought a 2014 C-Max Energi.

With 70,000 miles on it and the battery out of warranty, I took a leap of faith.  I am looking to get some input on how to go about getting a new battery and other tips from owners.  Wish me luck.

I know on my 2018 the unique hybrid components (including the battery) is warrantied to 8 years/100k miles (Bumper to bumper was 3/36 and powertrain is 5/60). Might want to go to the Ford warranty site and run your VIN.