2017 C-Max Hybrid vs. 2018 Ford Escape

Hi everyone,

I’m considering these two vehicles — a 2017 C-Max or a 2018 Ford Escape. I’m coming from a background of a Toyota Yaris but it’s near the end of its life and my toddler is growing.

Pros and cons of both? Also, I’m 5-feet tall, for context, and live in Canada where we get lots of snow.

I was eyeing this one:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/ford/c-max/pickering/ontario/5_51374831_20200303195335340/?fbclid=IwAR2BxnAeHbPrVMIIODzpKIMAtepFiA31A4PMN4xIBoXv7cQccpn0H-Y5YIQ

My vote would be for the Escape. 

1. Toddler = possibly more stuff to haul around as they get older.

2. SNOW = you're not going anywhere if you get a big storm.

3. Cold temps = less fuel mpg in the Cmax than in warmer climates. Probably won't do as well as you might hope for.

4. Resale value. I would think that the Escape will have a much better resale value down the road. If in doubt, see # 2 and 3 above.

With snow, the Escape has more room in the wheel wells for adding snow tires (and room for snow pack thrown up by the tires).

The C-Max has aero features that can drag in deep snow, and the OEM tires are designed for low rolling resistance, not snow/ice traction.  The C-Max also has good torque off the line, which will spin the tires on slick roads (momentarily until the traction control kicks in). Or, using Eco Mode is a way to buffer the torque and throttle response.

Speaking as owner of a 2020 Escape who traded a 2013 C-Max, the decision depends if Escape is AWD. If they're both FWD, I'd strongly recommend the C-Max. It's a slightly bigger Yaris. 

I traded due to a transmission issue before August 2015, which you can ignore safely in a 2017. In fact, I just missed buying a new one at the end of C-Max production. In comparison, I see a lot of traffic on Escape forums regarding major issues with some Escape engine options and I don't know the model history well enough to tell you what to dodge. 

Regarding snow, it depends exactly where you live. We get over twice the snowfall of Toronto, and the C-Max on snow tires was a ball to drive. It will go anywhere your Yaris would. If it's snowing enough for ground clearance to matter, you ought to stay home. But this is where AWD matters. (Note that the OE Michelin Energy Savers on the C-Max are not acceptable in snow. They are a 3-season, clear-road tire.)

Space is a wash. The Escape isn't much bigger inside, but you do have greater lift-over height for everything you put in the Escape, including yourself. Not an issue for someone who's a stocky 5'10" with no little kids. 

Best of luck in your choice!