It Looks Like everyone is getting 1.5% Better MPG's than they think they are!

ptjones

I was thinking of one way to test it. Set cruise control to 60 MPH with Eco Cruise off on a flat highway. Then reset a trip screen when you pass a mile marker. The trip screen should show 1 mile and 60 seconds for each mile marker you cross. If it's off 1.5%, you will be 0.015 * 5280 ft = 79.2 feet or 26.4 yards or almost 5.5 car lengths off at each mile marker, and it would continue to drift off more at each one.

Edited by C-MaxJaxon

Why do you assume the GPS is more accurate?

BTW, my old Ford Explorer speedometer is 3mph slower than my GPS, seems to be common.

I did my test on one hundred miles and GPS had 101.44mi.

Ah but then you will have to continually adjust as your tires wear or you'll be overstating. At about 4/32 tread depth you'll be near zero adjustment and at wear bar height of 2/32, you'll have to reduce mileage several tenths of a percent.

At 8700mi I need to check my tread depth. I just measured and I have 9/32  the spec say 9.5/32 so I've lost 1/32 in 8700mi. WOW. At this rate they will last 50k anyway. I'm going my odometer on my next trip to see if there is any change.

BTW just filled up 45MPG average temp 50deg.F.

Tested FFH today and it was off 2%

Edited by ptjones