Consumer Reports Weighs-in

Wbridge

"Consumer Reports also tested Ford’s C-Max, an appealing hybrid hatchback that packs a lot of room within its compact size. Consumer Reports’ measured fuel economy is 37 mpg overall. That’s impressive but falls far below the EPA’s stated combined city and highway of 47 mpg .

The C-Max’s arch-rival is the Toyota Prius V. The C-Max can’t match the Prius V’s 41-mpg overall fuel economy or generous interior space. But the Ford is quieter and much more enjoyable to drive. Handling is agile, with quick and ideally weighted steering, and it rides very comfortably. Like other Fords, the optional MyFord Touch system is frustrating, but even the standard radio controls are overcomplicated. A plug-in hybrid Energi version is also available. The C-Max rates just below the Mazda5 at the top of Consumer Reports overall ratings for small wagons, but is too new for Consumer Reports to have compiled reliability data to Recommend it."

" But the Ford is quieter and much more enjoyable to drive. Handling is agile, with quick and ideally weighted steering, and it rides very comfortably"   and it is made in America.  Exactly why we bought ours.

+1

All the reasons I bought mine.  I am getting 37 mpg on my first tank of fule, gone over 350 miles and the guage is just below half.

When wather gets warmer, I expect a few more mpg, as the gas engine was runningto   providehea

it sn't perfect, but kudos to Ford for opffering a high content alternative to the Prius.

It's amazing how biased Consumer Reports can be. I'm averaging 40mpg after 5K miles. So I guess they're right I can't match the V's 41mpg. But seeing as the C-Max has over 40HP more I can live with that :-)

As far as interior space the only place where it's better is in the cargo hold where the V has a larger capacity than the C-Max.

There are some Ford dealers right now who have V's on their lot for customers to test drive before or after a C-Max test drive. That's how confident they are that customers will see that the C-Max is a better car. I'd like to see a Toyota dealer do that with a C-Max, imo they'd lose a customer when they compared the driving characteristics side by side.

For CR, that's a GREAT review. They rank the CMax near the top.    Read the CR reviews of the Prius C and Honda Civic, CR totally trashes those two cars.

As for the mpg, CR is being disingenuous if they don't tell the whole story, CR needs to explain that hybrids have a wide range of mpg results.  CR knows this, their own testing has shown it. The widest discrepancy in their mpg City tests belongs to the Prius C, a 19mpg shortfall from EPA City.  If CR didn't mention this and the factors that affect hybrid mileage, then shame on them for lacking in journalistic integrity.

The full consumer reports write-up is good.  It is located here: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/03/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-review/index.htm   It will be in their March issue but is available online now.

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid review This appealing hatchback packs a lot of room within its compact size
Consumer Reports magazine: March 2013

Anyone looking for a good riding/driving wagon or crossover will be seriously looking at the C-Max.  There will be an ordering backlog after this issue hits the streets.