It's days like this, you wish you had a gas engine...

Jus-A-CMax

I started this venture looking at the leaf. Great car. Just not the car for me.

No range, thats my problem with the leaf and also the Focus electrric. Today, I drove 220 miles and I would be so scr*wed if I had either car. With the Tesla S, it may have been OK but thats 2 or 3 CMaxs in that 1 car. 

Now...I better not hear any of you CMax owners running out of gas and towed back  ;) 

And YES Rachel, the Max-Sony was PUMPING with Danthology, body shots, buttons and daddy cool...... :happy feet:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The Leaf is not intended to be an only car. It is really intended to be used by multiple car households. Sure, many people do use them as only cars - heck, I know many families who don't even own cars (it is possible believe it or not). But realistically the Leaf is well suited as the "around town" car for people who also have a "on the road" car.

The plural of anecdote is not fact.

I am quoting from my own memory here - I may look up the actual numbers later so forgive me if I am not exact. I think these are ballpark though:

Around 90% of all Americans drivers do not drive more than 75 miles per day. More than 70% of them drive less than 40 miles per day, and around 40% drive less than 25 miles per day.

That means that without an ounce of recharging while away from home:

An Energi could keep 40% of Americans almost completely in electric Miles.

A Volt could keep almost 70% of Americans in electron powered transport.

A Leaf or Focus EV would work for 90% of the drivers in America.

A huge huge percentage of households in this country are multiple car households. As EV prices drop there is a huge potential to get rid of most of our around town transportation petroleum consumption.

Depending on where my next job ends up, we may need another car (we already have several vehicles but I am not commuting in a truck with a camper and motorcycles only work part of the year for me). If we get another one it will be a full electric and the shortest commute will take the Energi and the longer commute the full EV. We should be able to only use gasoline for recreational out-of-town purposes...

Also, that "100 miles on a charge" is taking in to consideration the "80% to preserve battery life". The battery controllers in these cars already don't charge or discharge the batteries completely. The range numbers are accounting for that and are considered the usable electrons.

That's how EV+ works actually. It allows the battery to drain slightly more than usual when near home. It eats into that reliability buffer just a tiny bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the followup to the Tesla S debacle...now its "Tesla S vs NYT"

Other followup articles it the link below.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/18/nyt-says-tesla-model-s-review-the-result-of-shaky-judgment/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/musk-vs-times/

I wonder if we all would be that dedicated if a major paper slammed the CMax...oh wait...CR... ;) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I don't mind if something gets slammed for legitimate faults.

However, making stuff up is not fair.

Imagine a story like the NYTimes Model S one but with a Toyota Camry. The reviewer only fills the gas tank 1/4 full and lets it idle all night, and then complains the next morning when it runs out of gas. Would the world blame the car or the reporter?

If you don't plug in a BEV it won't work. Period.

CNN did the exact same trip with no problems. A couple Tesla owners have tries to duplicate the overnight conditions and have not seen the same problems.

One fellow has driven his Tesla model S from Portland, OR to New Orleans and back - over mountains and through the snow. He logged his journey, and he responded to the things the NYTimes reporter did wrong. (Like not charging the battery...)

No one would drive a gas car with a 400 mile range on a route with gas stations only every 200 miles - and then only put half tanks of gas in... That would be stupid.

My motorcycle only goes 150 miles on a tank. Is my motorcycle a failure? Nope. I just need to plan better when riding in remote areas. There are places in the west with no gas for a hundred miles or more. When we make trips there we are very careful.

Yes, EVs currently have limitations. The reporter could have easily hit on the real problems or limitations - but instead he lied to make the story more sensational.