Ford Tech Response to Clock and Calendar Problems

Generalbeluga

In the link that Laurel mentioned above, it says that "automatic" setting of the clock, to gps, can be done in cars with navigation.  Doesn't seem like it can be done in non-navigation settings.  I don't have that capability with mine.  Just have to manually change the clock when it freaks out.

It is a thousand dollar option to have your clock tell you the correct time!  Although, with the "correct time" option... you also get a useless navigation system!

Some of us are very happy with our navigation.  Ours works like a charm.  Just love it and I never bothered the navigation in our Lexus SUV.  This one is very easy and intuitive for me.

It is a thousand dollar option to have your clock tell you the correct time!  Although, with the "correct time" option... you also get a useless navigation system!

:hysterical: 

I've got to figure a way to "lemon law" this. The number of occurrences isn't the issue.  It's showing the defect is material to the use and value of the car.  How much is knowing the correct time worth?  "Officer I never speed butthe Ford MFT clock which I set via my Garmin before leaving home now says it's 10:30 so I thought I was running late.  I guess I should have spent $1000 for the navigation option."

I am sorry...  just frustrated with MFT and NAV.  My wife is taking a small trip tomorrow and will be taking the Garmin and a printout from Mapquest with her because she will be in unfamiliar territory and we don't trust our NAV.  At least we know her clock will be right so she won't be late!

BTW my dealer is as frustrated (or maybe more frustrated) than we are because he knows the system isn't working up to expectations.  He has to deal with frustrated customers for all Ford vehicels.

UPDATE:  My wife is on her small trip to visit a college campus with my daughter.  5 miles from the house, the NAV couldn't even put her on the Interstate heading South.  Luckily she knew how to get on the Intersate...  Unfortunatly I have my doubts as to whether or not the NAV will get her to her final destination.  On the bright side though, she confirmed that her clock was indeed still telling her the correct time!

Some of us are very happy with our navigation.  Ours works like a charm.  Just love it and I never bothered the navigation in our Lexus SUV.  This one is very easy and intuitive for me.

I just get so tired of that female voice telling to connect to www.myfordsync or call 1-800... everytime it doesn't understand what I'm trying program and there is no way to stop her until she finishes her message.  Very annoying because it happens so often.

• 1 month later...

It wouldn't take much code to have the MFT get the time from the phone when it syncs.  My iPhone gets the time from the cell system and is normally correct.  I guess writing one piece of code to work with all smartphones would be a problem, but if an app was developed to accomplish this, it could run unattended.  Also, is it possible that MFT uses the GPS in our phones to locate our cars?  I will have to turn my phone off on a trip to test this.

It wouldn't take much code to have the MFT get the time from the phone when it syncs.  My iPhone gets the time from the cell system and is normally correct.  I guess writing one piece of code to work with all smartphones would be a problem, but if an app was developed to accomplish this, it could run unattended.  Also, is it possible that MFT uses the GPS in our phones to locate our cars?  I will have to turn my phone off on a trip to test this.

Does bluetooth carry the current time?  It would have to support it.

Bluetooth is a communication path, it can carry any data you want. There are bluetooth profiles that define some types of data that can be carried over bluetooth, but some of those profiles are generic like 'serial port' or 'network', so they could have anything. I just got a new Pebble smartwatch which uses bluetooth to talk to my phone, and it does set the time on the watch based on what the phone has. But there's an app on the phone to support communication with the Pebble, which is probably providing the time information in a special profile.

Bluetooth is a communication path, it can carry any data you want. There are bluetooth profiles that define some types of data that can be carried over bluetooth, but some of those profiles are generic like 'serial port' or 'network', so they could have anything. I just got a new Pebble smartwatch which uses bluetooth to talk to my phone, and it does set the time on the watch based on what the phone has. But there's an app on the phone to support communication with the Pebble, which is probably providing the time information in a special profile.

Yes, but the phone would have to get up that data.  I can carry any sort of traffic over Ethernet, but the computer I'm talking to has to give it to me.  If time is not in a standard bluetooth profile, then custom code would have to exist on the phone to allow it.

Got a few cars in your stable I see?  Nice! Enjoy the ride...