Montreal Gazette C-Max Article

Laurel

"The very first thing I noticed with the C-MAX was its hyper-sensitive brakes. It is normal to have a different sensation in a gas/electric hybrid because the electric motors act as generators when braking as they recharge the batteries. They create additional resistance, a boost to the braking. But the C-MAX was rather disconcerting at first by its abrupt braking. I did get used to it and adapt my driving style, but some people who tried the car just did not like it."

How subjective are the brakes...I absolutely luv'em, gives great feel and confidence. I hate, hate, hate squishy brakes ala Prii brakes.

The only time I experienced grabby brakes was when my new C-Max was parked in the showroom--with each tire sitting nicely on a little piece of carpet.  I said I would like to drive it out the big doors.  Well I started slowly and couldn't seem to move forward easily so I gave a little more gas, I spurted forward abruptly, and stomped on the brakes and lurched in a jerky fashion while three employees ran for cover.  Very embarrassing as every head in the showroom turned to watch LOL.

My old car had very squishy brakes which I didn't like but I think the C-Max might be overly sensitive.  Although I think the position of the pedal itself might be more the problem than the pressure vs braking power.  My wife (who drives an older corolla) can't go between the gas and brake on the car without lifting her foot off the ground because the difference in position (forward to back not left to right) is so extreme on new cars.  We went around to different dealers to try out different models and discovered this is a newer car thing and not a ford/C-Max thing.  The C-Max might have had the greatest position difference, but not by much (compared to the prius V). It is too bad that most cars don't come with adjustable pedals so that people with small feet (my wife) can get more comfortable. 

The only time I experienced grabby brakes was when my new C-Max was parked in the showroom--with each tire sitting nicely on a little piece of carpet.  I said I would like to drive it out the big doors.  Well I started slowly and couldn't seem to move forward easily so I gave a little more gas, I spurted forward abruptly, and stomped on the brakes and lurched in a jerky fashion while three employees ran for cover.  Very embarrassing as every head in the showroom turned to watch LOL.

Laurel, stop it!  I can't get the image out of my head, and can't stop laughing.  Hurts like hell since I have a bruised rib!  Make it stop!!!  :yahoo:

I am getting used to the C-Max brakes.  I like them.  Because I have mobility problems, I like knowing I can 'slam' on the brakes without having to apply too much force.  I have short legs and small feet, so it has been difficult finding the proper settings for the seat as far as distance between pedals and seat goes.  But I cannot pivot my foot from gas to brake and have to lift my leg in order to get a full stop.  If I need to just slow down, I can hit the brake with the corner of my shoe.

Hmm, I was wondering if those that use their whole foot are the ones that feel the brakes are grabby.

Every time I drove a rental car and when I first started driving the c-max I made everyone sick because the brakes and gas in these new vehicles actually do something when you press on them.  My old explorer wouldn't.  Now when I drive my explorer I have to keep from crashing into things because I press the brake just a little (which is good for the c-max) doesn't do anything in the explorer.  It's a learning process every time I switch between the two.