long long distance trips

dusty

i'm thinking of driving my cmax from LA to the east coast. anyone experience a super long road trip in the car yet?  any weirdness or not able to get service in the country roads?  hows the sitting for hours?... or driving long stretches in texas???? [at least the speed limit is now high in tx]///

thanks for the feedback..........................

Not a "super" long trip but I have driven from North Georgia to Orlando, 450 miles each way, which is about an eight hour drive.  The C-Max is fine zipping along at 65MPH on I-75, one of the most boring roads in the USA, and the Florida Turnpike, another boring drive, with no issues.  My SEL is comfortable, the XM/Sirius and my iPod keep it from being too boring, the Navigation system took me "door to door" with no errors or stupid routes, and the "ECO" Cruise Control works just fine.  The biggest crisis I experienced is there are still no Dunkin Donuts coffee shops located between Macon, GA and Gainesville, FL a terrible situation to say the least.... :cry:

Driving at 65MPH, ECO Cruise On, my gas mileage averaged around 40MPG going "downhill" to Florida, in 30 degree nasty weather, and one of my all time MPG lows for the C-Max at 35MPG coming back "uphill" to home.  That 35MPG segment was right after Christmas and I drove through that really nasty storm and had to deal with a heavily loaded car, low temperatures, high head winds, bad traffic, and idiot tourists and still managed 35MPG.  In contrast my SHO gets around 21MPG going "downhill" to Orlando and 19MPG coming home "uphill" with the Cruise set a 70MPH....or 80MPH for that matter.  The C-Max is not nearly as forgiving as the SHO on the MPG if you crank up the speed past 65MPH....

Edited by RedLdr1

Have not taken a long trip, so no insight into the comfort, mileage, etc.

Plan to take a drive Phoenix to Flagstaff AZ in a few weeks.   It is over 100 miles and climbs from 1000 ft to 7500 ft above sea levels, takes you from desert to mountains and snow.  I plan to drive speed limit ( 75mph most of the way) using cruise as possible. I will report on mileage and comfort.

I realize this is a short jaunt compared to cross country, but a couple hours should give an indication.

Suggest you drive for approximately two hour intervals -- walking for 30 minutes between driving segments. Plan your stops so that you can pull into a town for your walk -- more interesting.

I have done this for a number of years due to a medical condition that prevents siting for extended time periods.  You will find that you feel better and will stay alert.

If you fold these stops into meals, restroom stops, coffee stops, etc., it will be a more efficient use of time.

Had my Cmax Energi 3 weeks now with an unexpected trip from Florida to Indiana (2000 miles). Averaged 36.1 at 75+ on the Interstates all the way.  Couldn,t be happier at this stage. The Energi is also getting 95-105 mpg driving my usual 10-15 miles a day on the battery only. Average at this point with the gas and EV combined is 56.1 :happy feet: The Energi is some 350 lbs heavier than the Cmax hybrid, but the same engine and hybrid drivetrain, plus the 7.5 KW battery for 21 miles all electric..  It's great on the highway and long trips.  As comfortable as my 2011 Fusion Hybrid; handles very well, and all the bells and whistles, gadgets, etc make long trips entertaining.  If you have never had a hybrid before, it takes some changes in  your driving habits to utilize the full benefits of this type of vehicle.  I think Ford has done an outstanding job with the Cmax and Energi. :rockon: GUZZI

Yea, Rachel, that's how the Energi works. We start with a much bigger battery, and can charge the bigger battery with a plug. It's also capable of putting out much more power from the electric motor. So we can drive pretty normally using just the battery, and 21 miles is the estimated range for that. After that, we're in hybrid mode exactly like you will be, where the engine runs to provide power but regen and coasting will recharge the battery. We also have an EV button on the dash for a little extra control, so I can hit 'EV Later' and go immediately into hybrid mode, saving the big battery until later. I tend to run in EV mode for the first few miles until I get to the interstate, switch to EV Later mode and run the engine, and then go back to just the battery when I get close to my destination.

RachelnLa!  Yes, the Energi version of the Cmax, has a larger 7.5Kw battery which plugs into a standard 110V outlet, allowing you to charge the battery for up to 21 miles of pure electric driving.  It also has provision to save the battery charge for later use, or run with the larger battery as a hybrid, just like your model; or you can run the full battery charge down, and then it becomes just like your Hybrid version of the Cmax. Besides a much greater cost, the Energi is perfect for short trips on full electric. I drive 2 miles to my business, fully charged, then plug it back in to recharge.  At lunch I drive 2 miles back to my house, then 1 mile to the Post Office, then 3 miles back to work.  Plug it back in to recharge once again, then after work 2 miles back to my house, and once again ; plug it in to charge.  So on a normal 5 day week, I drive my Energi 10 miles a day on electric, without using any ICE.  :)

Guzzi, I started this venture looking at the Nissan leaf electric car. My dad got interested and the hunt was on. We skipped the Nissan because we wanted more range. Once the battery is depleted that's it. I loved that lil car. It was THE perfect fit, ride, feel, look etc. we looked into and test drive many other cars. Nothing spoke to me. Dad suggested I look into the cmax. He was looking at the Prius. We drive the Prius. It sucked for me. He was pushing but I wasn't budging. We both had to decide on a vehicle. Better deal if you buy 2! I found us a cmax to test and we both fell in love. Ordered them and now waiting.

Thanks for your response. I win the bet! Dad thought after the 21 miles it reverted to just an ICE! I think he has to pay for my first fillup! Hahahaha

I've driven San Diego-San Francisco-San Diego twice. Up I-5, over 5000' Tejon Pass, more than 500 miles one way. The car will cruise all day at whatever speed you want. I had no complaints with the seats in our SEL-- I was in the driver's and passenger (front) seat. Luggage + 3 people + XMas presents on one trip. We tended to be north of the speed limit much of the time (LOTs of time @ 80MPH), which is great for getting the trip over with, and not so great for gas mileage. Somewhere around 37mpg or so.

Noooooo. Lol. How much was the home charger? The leaf was over $1000.00. By the time we paid for the car, home station, electrical wiring etc. we were pretty $$$. The cmax was well under that and I have no limit. Meaning I can use gas and there are plenty of gas stations. I live in a small town. We have one charger in town and it is at McDonald's. A fast food joint with a charger? Really gonna get a lot of charge?? The infrastructure for electric cars is much better in Texas. But. You have to pay for the electricity.

So glad we found the cmax.

depending on the break-in miles on your Cmax Hybrid, you are probably looking at 33-37 mpg at a steady 75 mph on the interstate.  A lot depends on which way the wind is blowing, and how you drive.  My Energi model now has 3100 miles, and the ice fuel economy keeps getting better every day.

Perfect.  Thank you.  I know the C-Max isn't getting the advertised 47 mpg for many people.  But I'm so freakin' happy to be getting anything in the 30s - it's all good to me.  

Keep the battery high (around 80% or more), it enhances your mileage eventhough you are travelling above the EV threshold of 63mph.

Last week I drove 5500mi and averaged approx. 42.6mpg for the trip with good and bad weather.  I had a high of 48mpg and low of 37mpg in 9 fill-ups. You check me out on fuelly.com. Click on icon below. I used alot of manual cruise,but when I got tried I would set ECO cruise for 63mph(mine will EV at 63mph GPS) and get 44-47mpg. Your mileage goes down fast above 69mph. My average fill-up distance was over 500mi. with high of 623mi. I currently have 14k miles on my SEL. Have fun. :)