January 2013 sales figures

valkraider

This perseveration by automobile reviewers about MPG ratings is silly and tragic. I can drive my C-Max in stop-and-go traffic in Philadelphia with temps in the 30's and I can achieve MPG's around 60. If I travel at 70 mph on the highway with all the accessories on I get in the mid to upper 30's MPG.

I don't think Ford was being dishonest when they established the EPA numbers. If you read the window stickers, it says the MPG ratings are "for comparison only, your mileage will vary...etc"

I bought the car knowing that "real world" fuel economy would not be 47 MPG. The car is still a wonderful piece of engineering and a perfect match for my transportation needs. MPG results around 40 are still outstanding for a car that performs as well as this does.

If people could see the graph plotting speed vs MPG, perhaps this could help clear up the consternation on this issue.

Just for interest sake, it might be helpful to look at similar MPG graphs for other cars; that might help answer the question if the MPG of the C-Max degrades any more quickly with higher speed than other vehicles.

This perseveration by automobile reviewers about MPG ratings is silly and tragic. I can drive my C-Max in stop-and-go traffic in Philadelphia with temps in the 30's and I can achieve MPG's around 60. If I travel at 70 mph on the highway with all the accessories on I get in the mid to upper 30's MPG.

Although I have seen mid to upper 30's on the freeway in much warmer weather, I have never seen 60 in the city (except instantaneous when running in electric) even with temps in the 70's so I have to ask - is your driving style not typical (extreme hypermiler) or do you have some other method of getting the car up to temp in the city driving such as a block heater, vent covers, or deer antler spray?  ;)  Seriously, if you have some tricks it would be helpful to know since cold weather is very hard on the mpgs with this car (like all cars).

I think what has bothered people regarding the EPA number is not that the EPA number is considered representative, but rather the pairing of the EPA number with Ford marketing it as 47mpg, along making the comparison to the Prius V.  I think people are a bit shocked to see the difference between the advertised mpg and (what seems to be typical) FE when they start driving it - most likely caused by the temps and the season when the car was released.  I'd suspect that if Ford will learn anything from this, it will be to release a hybrid in the spring and not the fall.

Seriously, if you have some tricks it would be helpful to know since cold weather is very hard on the mpgs with this car (like all cars).

High MPG numbers in the city are not typical, but can be achieved if:

1) start with a warm car

2) no accessories on, esp heater. (comfort is provided from seat heat)

3) gentle pulse and glide

4) precise anticipation of stops

5) aim for average speed of 12-25 mph

So, no special tricks- just the usual.

Even starting with a warm car isn't absolutely necessary, but keeping engine warm is. Many people expect the mileage to be the same for a short trip as a long one, but modern cars (since the mid '70s or so) can't run closed loop until the catalytic converter is up to temperature and the FE suffers. Most people just don't realize it because they are not fanatical about FE. Hybrid drivers have the perfect storm - a reason to track FE (wanting to see if the hybrid really delivers), the tools to track it (usually a Star Wars display of some sort), and a system that will not deliver the big numbers unless it is fully warmed up and the ICE gets shut off. Short trips means the ICE doesn't get much time to shut off, so the Hybrid becomes more like a regular car.

When driving my '02 Prius, I never thought about the FE penalty the car pays for the electric heat. It is primarily there to heat up the coolant and get the engine warm quicker, but it also gets the cabin warm really quick. The Prius didn't have the tools to see the effect of the electric load, so it feels like it is for free. In the Max, it is very easy to see this effect and I end up never running the heat unless the ICE has come all the way up to temperature and is enabled to run.

Of course, it helps to find routes that keep the car moving. I found I use less gas taking a longer (by 2miles) route on the parkway, which goes steadily at some slow speed, than taking a local main road, with loads of lights and full throttle starts, hard braking, and waiting at lights.

Edited by Tdefny

Seriously, if you have some tricks it would be helpful to know since cold weather is very hard on the mpgs with this car (like all cars).

High MPG numbers in the city are not typical, but can be achieved if:

1) start with a warm car

2) no accessories on, esp heater. (comfort is provided from seat heat)

3) gentle pulse and glide

4) precise anticipation of stops

5) aim for average speed of 12-25 mph

So, no special tricks- just the usual.

Gotcha, I suspect most cold weather c-max owners have a problem with #1 and #5 when they have a problem getting good FE in cold weather, but it makes sense.  At least for myself #2 is n/a and #5 is rarely an option, but every commute is unique.  I probably average 35-45mph in my typical commute, and since temps have been going up, so have my mpg's.