2nd day

scottc

Picked my new C-MAX up late Friday, traded in a 2008 Chevy Impala Flex Fuel for it. So far I'm loving the driveability of this car, very roomy inside, great handling. Now just have to re-adjust my driving style, ahem, slow down, less aggresive, so I can see that EV come on more !

You can do it! My daughter drove mine yesterday and was able to get and stay in EV mode quickly. She said,"So basically you speed up until you reach your desired speed, lift off the gas and then press the gas to keep the speed and that will put you there.". She figured it out instantly.

I have steadily watch my average climb.

My lead foot 20 tear old son seems to be intrigued enough by the MPG thing that whenever he borrows his moms car he seems to have a whole different driving style!

However, when he drives his TDI (which he drives hard) he always points out the he is getting 1-2 MPG better than the Cmax.  I am sure that will change as the weather warms up.

My lead foot 20 tear old son seems to be intrigued enough by the MPG thing that whenever he borrows his moms car he seems to have a whole different driving style!

However, when he drives his TDI (which he drives hard) he always points out the he is getting 1-2 MPG better than the Cmax.  I am sure that will change as the weather warms up.

Hello and welcome.

As in many things the diesel vs hybrid debate is a complex one. The TDI 2009+ models get poorer mpg than previous generations due to emissions equipment. Also the type of driving city vs highway, in city the CMax will have a big advantage as the powertrain is used the most efficiently. The CMax advantage diminishes in highway driving especially at higher speeds where the TDI, most likely a sedan, will have the advantage of better aerodynamics, less weight, and slightly more efficient engine.

Also keep in mind the difference in price between diesel & regular gas - 50, 60, 70 cents per gallon, roughly 15%!  This is very significant, and often left out of the comparison.  As an example, 40 mpg diesel is equal to only 33,34,35 mpg regular gas for comparison purposes.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

Also keep in mind the difference in price between diesel & regular gas - 50, 60, 70 cents per gallon, roughly 15%!  This is very significant, and often left out of the comparison.  As an example, 40 mpg diesel is equal to only 33,34,35 mpg regular gas for comparison purposes.  Nick

The price difference is a factor but diesels will regularly exceed EPA ratings. I ran the fuel cost numbers on my Passat TDI vs Fusion Hybrid based upon data collected in my CMax and TDI, they are very comparable. Throw in maintenance costs and I believe from my experience the hybrid is cheaper to own overall.

Car1= TDI

Car2=Fusion Hybrid

Numbers were based on normal driving and traffic flow. Fuel prices and mpg are based upon data from my area. Traffic jams give a big advantage to the hybrid, highway driving at the 75 mph speed limit flips the equation in the diesels favor.

Compare_zpsd76182ea.jpg

Edited by darrelld

I've a spreadsheet on FE and note the price I pay for gas and the price of diesel. After my 5th fillup of my C-Max at 1893 miles,I'm averaging 39.6 mpg. The FE I would have needed to break even on fuel cost so far for my 2009 Jetta TDI is 47.7 mpg. This represents a 20.5% premium for diesel although it has fallen recently. My overall FE on my Jetta was 41.9 mpg after nearly 70k miles.

Here's the real differences though, I could drive the Jetta 2-4 mph above the speed limit on 6 trips back east (about 24k miles total) and average 45 mpg with mininal a/c use at an actual average speed of 68 mph (total miles / time engine running). Second I could just "drive" the Jetta around town in the summer and get about 39 mpg. I hope I can get that in the C-Max in the June - Sept period in 100+F temps.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Great looking calculator Darrel, and exc. discussion on diesel.  I certainly was not making any reference to EPA ratings, nor actuals for that matter, just the price differnece at the pump.  I will be checking that today here.  Plus 3, good note on long distance driving - if we were doing cross country, we would have had to look at the Jetta more.  At this point I am hooked on the more up-right seating of the C-Max with regular gas, & potential of near 50mpg with some effort.  Nick  (Darrel, where did you get that calculator?)

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

Great looking calculator Darrel, and exc. discussion on diesel.  I certainly was not making any reference to EPA ratings, nor actuals for that matter, just the price differnece at the pump.  I will be checking that today here.  Plus 3, good note on long distance driving - if we were doing cross country, we would have had to look at the Jetta more.  At this point I am hooked on the more up-right seating of the C-Max with regular gas, & potential of near 50mpg with some effort.  Nick  (Darrel, where did you get that calculator?)

The calculator is on the EPA site and is a great tool to see how much you save (or don't save) a year by increasing just a few MPG. I've posted links to it a few times before.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

Yes, I like the higher c-max seating much better than the Jetta. But I'll reserve overall seat comfort until I spend 18+ hours behind the wheel in one day.

I believe you will find the C-Max easily trumps the Jetta on seat comfort, it has for me on a recent 7 hour trip we completed. C-Max road noise is more subdued compared to our previous 2010 Jetta TDI also.

Yes, and the active noise cancellation.

That's one of the first things I noticed when test driving the C-Max - how quiet the cabin was compared to the Jetta. If you open the front doors and look at the gap between the fender and a-pillar, there is sound insulation filling the gap. Also, if you open the hood and look along the back top fender line, there appears to be more sound deadening material.

I use the cruise whenever I can.  I'm getting right around 46 - 50 mpg.  I've recently hit the 1000 miles mark.  I've turned the air conditioning on as well.  I do drop quite a bit on mpgs when I am going above 60, of course.  Today is my first road trip on the turnpike and I'll be driving at 70 mph.  Can't wait to see what I get.  I'm hoping for at least 38 mpg.  

Before buying the Ford, I did test drive some Volkswagens.  I did not like the way they handled.  I did seriously think about buying a diesel for the gas mileage, but again, I didn't enjoy driving them.  Also, where I work, there are no convenient gas stations with diesel, so that's a disadvantage.

I'm glad you finally got your car!!  I'm really loving mine.  I find the seat is fine on longer trips, I just put it on cruise and shift how I'm sitting.  I do prefer the seats in the Focus and Fusion, but oh well.  

I have to say how happy I am to finally have a vehicle that hits all my natures.  There's the one that loves a fun car to drive - zipping through traffic and speeding along.  And then there's the one that is quite frugal and loves not spending money.  :)