My open e-mail note to Academy Ford, Laurel MD

catsailor

Here is what I recently sent my dealer to help encourge his potential future clients to see through the muck of bad mileage vibes :)

Tom/Mike,

I just passed the 7500 mile threshold on my C Max and the onboard computer tells me my lifetime average is at 41.1 mpg. My last two fill ups have been MUCH better than my overall average as I am getting much more comfortable in driving my car to maximize my mileage PLUS its getting warmer outside too. I have gleamed tips from the Ford C Max owners forum and Hybrid forum (yeah they have two forums).

http://cmaxhybridowners.com/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/

I am a typical guy so I don’t read instructions well so I have of late been doing some reading of my +400 page Owners manual and these forums and like most of the participants on these forums I derived by trial and error the best way to get the maximum miles per gallon out of my C Max. My last tank of gas was better than 43 mpg BUT when I register on Fuelly it will show my topped off fill up which will be a tad lower than my cars computer read out.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/catsailor/cmax

My handle on this website is Road Warrior and I regret not starting the log in from day one. Anyway the tank of gas I am currently working on shows +44.5 mpg at over 300 miles driven so far. So here is the take away from all the debate that is raging about what you can get driving a Hybrid, IF YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN DRIVE A HYBRID LIKE A REGULAR CAR and get the published EPA estimates then your dreaming….really. A hybrid is a different beast and your accelerate differently PLUS you brake much differently and you learn to hyper mile which is easier with a CVT transmission in a hybrid as it would be with a manual tranny in a regular car. Driving my C Max has completely transformed my driving habits cause ITS REALLY addictive to get that magical 47 number to pop out of your dashboard J

Now let me cut to the chase as I LOVE this car, I love the Ergonomics of its seating cause I don’t feel that I am sitting low to the ground, I LOVE the visibility all around but especially the front windshield since I have few blind spots to deal with and I LOVE the reserve power I have to accelerate to get out of the way of traffic IF I need to.

I just read in the C Max Hybrid Forum about finding my cars highway sweet spot which means moving away from my Enlighten screen to find the ICE mode and try to drive the car at about 66 mph on the hwy and then backing it off to get the EV mode when in ECCO cruise control….man the shit folks come up with is amazing J

Please feel free to pass on this e-mail to anybody that does not believe that you can get great gas mileage out of a C Max, I laugh at speed camera’s and state troopers hiding along the highway anymore cause I am always driving the posted limits and allow 10 extra minutes to get there now in my C Max. What does gas cost now $3.80 / gallon I can live with that J Thanks Team Academy Ford.

I think most dealers need to here what real life client experiances are.

Quite frankly, when I read your email and if I were looking at buying a C-MAX because of FE expecting around 47/47/47, I'd likely look elsewhere. You hit on virtually everything that will turn off the average driver. That's my opinion. I highly doubt a Ford dealer would deem this a glowing report worthy of giving to / discussing with a potential customer.

- after 7500 miles only 41.1 mpg

- have to drive the car different than a normal car (and still can't get 47)

- have to accelerate differently, brake differently, learn to hyper mile

- have to find sweet spot, drive at 66 mph, back off to get EV mode when in Eco cruise

- the $hit people come up with (and still don't get 47)

- always driving the posted speed limit (and still don't get 47)

- IF YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN DRIVE A HYBRID LIKE A REGULAR CAR and get the published EPA estimates then your dreaming….really.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Quite frankly, when I read your email and if I were looking at buying a C-MAX because of FE expecting around 47/47/47, I'd likely look elsewhere. You hit on virtually everything that will turn off the average driver. That's my opinion. I highly doubt a Ford dealer would deem this a glowing report worthy of giving to / discussing with a potential customer.

- after 7500 miles only 41.1 mpg

- have to drive the car different than a normal car (and still can't get 47)

- have to accelerate differently, brake differently, learn to hyper mile

- have to find sweet spot, drive at 66 mph, back off to get EV mode when in Eco cruise

- the $hit people come up with (and still don't get 47)

- always driving the posted speed limit (and still don't get 47)

- IF YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN DRIVE A HYBRID LIKE A REGULAR CAR and get the published EPA estimates then your dreaming….really.

truth does hurt doesn't it - agree 100 percent with the OP. I tell people to buy it for the car and disregard anything to do with mileage statistics unless you are willing to bend over backwards to get near the ratings. The driver should not have to pay more attention to the tricks to get mileage then the road. Average 34 @ 63 mph with 98 percent of my driving done in light traffic situations on the highway on cruise control, 75 miles a day doing that. I traded in a Escape that was netting me about 28 MPG with those driving habits

Edited by Wingrider01

truth does hurt doesn't it - agree 100 percent with the OP. I tell people to buy it for the car and disregard anything to do with mileage statistics unless you are willing to bend over backwards to get near the ratings. The driver should not have to pay more attention to the tricks to get mileage then the road. Average 34 @ 63 mph with 98 percent of my driving done in light traffic situations on the highway on cruise control, 75 miles a day doing that. I traded in a Escape that was netting me about 28 MPG with those driving habits

Truth doesn't hurt me. :)  Don't even know why you brought that up. I do research before buying.  I guess some buyers don't. Sounds like you are a disgruntled customer.  

My above post is not about truth.   My post is about what the OP believes he is doing with his email.  The intent of the OP is - "to help encourage his [the dealer's] potential future clients to see through the muck of bad mileage vibes."  IMO, the OP has not accomplished this objective and likely has reinforced any "bad mileage vibes" that a potential customer might have.  One can state "facts" in a positive or negative way.  My guess is the email would not be viewed by a buyer as encouraging.

Send "the truth" to FORD.   

Hey Plus 3  Golfer,

The dealer has asked me to come talk to new C max owners Thursday night this week, I guess we see the glass in two ways you see it 1/2 empty and I see it 1/2 full :)

I have purchased FIVE Fords from said dealer spanning over + 700,000 miles so I know they know I don't BS. I did my research and still bought the car NOT for the freaking mileage but for all the other ergonomically benefits I stated. Now I also have 26 solar panels on my roof so I bought them to reduce my electric bill and although that will take a 6 year break even I guess by your count I got jipped on that too. Lighten up as this is a good car and hybrids need to be understood to get maximum output. BTW I just checked my tank and I am at 44.1 mpg at 420 miles driven and I am going away tonight on a trip to Western MD (read some HILLS) and plan to fill up out there as my computer says I have 160 miles to empty....is that OK in your book.

I know many a hybrid owner and also Civic and Cruze owner as well Lexus Hybrid owner and THEY all state the same fact...to get the EPA ratings you need to drive differently, truth be told before I bought a Hybrid I had a lead foot and drove my 2007 Ford Edge hard and did not get the stated 23 hwy /18 city ratings BUT when I did ease up I could push the hwy figures to close to +22 mpg.

I got a pal that just bought a Jetta diesel cause I told him the same thing and he decided to buy a VW and he is very happy but here Diesel runs $0.60/ gallon more and having owned a Rabbit diesel in the day my pal knows it will be more expensive synthetic oil changes and dealing with VW and their higher cost of parts. BTW you'll get a kick out of this, I need to turn my AC off to accelerate from a stop with my 1980 Rabbit deisel and I got 50 mpg with that car. Everything fell off that car but you could not kill that engine.

I have found that driving the posted speed limits and accelerating gently to speed and staying below 62 mph helps me get that magical +42-44 mpg and maybe more. What's wrong with that............Last I checked this was more inline with the EPA test on a dyno so who got ripped off? If a lawsuit comes about and Ford loses will I NOT take a settlement....probably will take it cause I am like you in the belief that Ford screwed up and should have understated the mileage claims and we would not be having this debate. The C Max would have still sold well against the Prius because its a BETTER CAR, you can lose 10 mpg and that translates to what $200 of gas or less a year...big dealo....remember I am the guy that owns solar panels on my roof so saving energy is my thing and maybe saving the world for your kids and mine someday :) ....its a joke man lighten up.

Truth doesn't hurt me. :)  Don't even know why you brought that up. I do research before buying.  I guess some buyers don't. Sounds like you are a disgruntled customer.  

My above post is not about truth.   My post is about what the OP believes he is doing with his email.  The intent of the OP is - "to help encourage his [the dealer's] potential future clients to see through the muck of bad mileage vibes."  IMO, the OP has not accomplished this objective and likely has reinforced any "bad mileage vibes" that a potential customer might have.  One can state "facts" in a positive or negative way.  My guess is the email would not be viewed by a buyer as encouraging.

Send "the truth" to FORD.   

I did multiple times, promised a call numerous times, never had one, I am just stated the facts as I have them, spread sheet for every fill up since I have had the car back in October. My YTD for 6 months is 34.176 MPG. If asked when I am at a parking lot or in a public area I tell it how I have the facts from having the car for 6 months. Suspect that this attitude is frowned upon here,

I did multiple times, promised a call numerous times, never had one, I am just stated the facts as I have them, spread sheet for every fill up since I have had the car back in October. My YTD for 6 months is 34.176 MPG. If asked when I am at a parking lot or in a public area I tell it how I have the facts from having the car for 6 months. Suspect that this attitude is frowned upon here,

I don't see how that is frowned, thats just the way it is. I know Adair struggles to get her MPGs close to the 40s but its limited to her temps there - I think shes now getting some over 40s. I drive in different terrain and higher temps, different engine break in, so my MPGs differ.

We all want better MPGs which is why we hang and add input to the forum or find out the latest cool tips. As I said, come summer, the MPG trend would be towards the right and the numbers will be up as the warmer temps kick in and as your engines break the 3000+ odo miles.

:) 

Don't get me wrong, I do believe Ford's ads do take advantage of their EPA numbers.  The fuelly data and fueleconomy.gov data show a wide range of the FE numbers for vehicles. The average for most vehicles don't meet the EPA numbers. I tell those that ask about my FE numbers for the C-Max what others report and that I and likely most will not achieve the EPA numbers unless we drive in certain ways on a very consistent basis.

Hey Plus 3  Golfer,

The dealer has asked me to come talk to new C max owners Thursday night this week, I guess we see the glass in two ways you see it 1/2 empty and I see it 1/2 full :)

I have purchased FIVE Fords from said dealer spanning over + 700,000 miles so I know they know I don't BS. I did my research and still bought the car NOT for the freaking mileage but for all the other ergonomically benefits I stated. Now I also have 26 solar panels on my roof so I bought them to reduce my electric bill and although that will take a 6 year break even I guess by your count I got jipped on that too. Lighten up as this is a good car and hybrids need to be understood to get maximum output. BTW I just checked my tank and I am at 44.1 mpg at 420 miles driven and I am going away tonight on a trip to Western MD (read some HILLS) and plan to fill up out there as my computer says I have 160 miles to empty....is that OK in your book.

I know many a hybrid owner and also Civic and Cruze owner as well Lexus Hybrid owner and THEY all state the same fact...to get the EPA ratings you need to drive differently, truth be told before I bought a Hybrid I had a lead foot and drove my 2007 Ford Edge hard and did not get the stated 23 hwy /18 city ratings BUT when I did ease up I could push the hwy figures to close to +22 mpg.

I got a pal that just bought a Jetta diesel cause I told him the same thing and he decided to buy a VW and he is very happy but here Diesel runs $0.60/ gallon more and having owned a Rabbit diesel in the day my pal knows it will be more expensive synthetic oil changes and dealing with VW and their higher cost of parts. BTW you'll get a kick out of this, I need to turn my AC off to accelerate from a stop with my 1980 Rabbit deisel and I got 50 mpg with that car. Everything fell off that car but you could not kill that engine.

I have found that driving the posted speed limits and accelerating gently to speed and staying below 62 mph helps me get that magical +42-44 mpg and maybe more. What's wrong with that............Last I checked this was more inline with the EPA test on a dyno so who got ripped off? If a lawsuit comes about and Ford loses will I NOT take a settlement....probably will take it cause I am like you in the belief that Ford screwed up and should have understated the mileage claims and we would not be having this debate. The C Max would have still sold well against the Prius because its a BETTER CAR, you can lose 10 mpg and that translates to what $200 of gas or less a year...big dealo....remember I am the guy that owns solar panels on my roof so saving energy is my thing and maybe saving the world for your kids and mine someday :) ....its a joke man lighten up.

I'll say it one more time, IMO, your email is not an encouragement to potential buyers (the 1/2 empty glass).  Why because you have have postulated that you've done certain things and still haven't got 47 mpg average.  Nothing is wrong with 42-44 but if a potential buyer expects 47 and only get 42-44 after significantly changing their driving style, I'd say they are going to be somewhat disappointed.  Can a C-Max average 47 mpg - yes. But, the normal driver is not going to average 47 mpg.  If that's half empty so be it.  Simply because one likes the car for non-FE reasons, I fail to see that  helps "potential future clients to see through the muck of bad mileage vibes".  

I'd suggest you give each C-Max owner and suggest the dealer give potential buyers Raj Nair's (FORD Group VP) letter which nails the reasons why customers may not be seeing 47 mph: designed for performance not FE, and speed and temperature kill mpg.  This helps potential future clients to see through the muck of bad mileage vibes although they may not like what they read.  Then you can explain strategies on how to best extract FE instead of performance from the C-Max.

Raj Nair ---

"...We could have detuned the vehicles to maximize fuel economy like some of our competitors have done, but it would have been at the expense of a fun driving experience. And this would have meant that you would not be to take advantage of the 54 more horsepower that the C-MAX provides over the Prius. ... 

• Speed: the difference between 75 mph and 65 mph can produce a 7 mpg difference in fuel economy.

• Outside temperature: a temperature difference 40 °F and 70 °F can result in a 5 mpg difference.

• Vehicle break-in: the difference from 0 miles to 6,000 miles can be a 5 mpg difference....

Today, we went out for errands, drove 40 miles and got 46.7 mpg with a/c on and it was only 83*F. Wait until it's over 110*F.  I doubt I can do much better unless I turned a/c off and dropped my speed another 3-5 mph for 26 of the 40 miles from the so called "sweet spot" of 62-65 mph.  I'd likely have been over 50 mpg but it's not going to happen.   

I've also owned solar panels on my previous home.  So, what's that got to do with the C-Max getting 47 mpg. My return was over 32% a year (about a 3 year simple payback).  Why because I sized the PV system to maximize the return given the utility's rate structure, tax credits, and incentives.  I "worked at it" one time for the return.  For the C-Max apparently one has to "continually work at it" to  average 47 mpg.  :) Evidently, some like the challenge and some don't.

I have owned many diesels including a 2009 Jetta TDI and several Ford products and have driven around 1.5 million miles. Again what's that got to do with why the C-Max has a hard time making 47 mpg under normal driving.

Bottom line: there's enough data on the internet about the C-Max for a consumer to make an intelligent decision.  I bought a C-Max knowing that my FE will likely be in the low 40's based on my climate and driving style.  The Forum you neglected to refer a C-Max owner to in your email is the cleanmpg.com forum where there is a more realistic measure of expected FE for the C-Max compared to other hybrids.

This past tank of gas was 521 miles at 44.1 mpg on the car computer read out BUT I topped off my tank after the filler clicked off to get to 12.4 gallons filled so depending on how you read that then it would be 42.0 mpg. I drove the speed limits in hilly terrain as well city and much hwy driving. I guess driving the speed limit has cost me going from 35 mpg to 42-44 mpg and maybe 10-15 more minutes of drive time..... man I feel ripped off :)