Retaining USB MP3 File Pause Location

I have audiobooks in MP3 format on a USB Thumbdrive and the Sony/Sync system has not been retaining the paused location when we shut off the car.  We usually pause it while driving, park, and shutoff the car.  When we return it has forgotten both the file we were listening to, and even the book. 

Each book is in a folder with multiple files.  Since the Sync device does not have FF and FR, I have cut the books up into 10 minute segments/files anticipating this might be a problem.  And sure enough, it is!

Any tips on how to have the system start playing where it left off?

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ArizonaEnergi,

I wonder if the problem you are reporting might be something related to your model. I have the SEL.  I use the USB Thumb Drive feature a lot. I have lots of music in folders, and some books as well. I just ran out to the car to test what you are describing. Not only does my Sony let you FFW and FRW tracks, but it also seems to remember where it was in the track. 

To test this I turned the radio on and it started playing a track in the middle of a song. I thought it was the song that was playing when I was last in the car. Anyway, I noted which song was playing, then I pressed (and held down) the FFW paddle on the steering column and noted that the song was advancing on the radio, but it didn't advance directly to the next track.  I let off of the FFW paddle and the song started playing at the place it had moved ahead to. Then I pressed and held down the FRW paddle on the steering column and noted that the song was rewinding - but not moving directly to the previous track. I let off the FRW paddle on the steering column and the song then played from this earlier point in the track. 

So then I paused the song, then turned off the radio. I turned off the car, and opened the door. Then I closed the door, turned on the radio, and noted that the song was set to play at the same point in the same track as it was previously paused at.

Edited by Riddley

I think you are right.  I took delivery in March, and believe I have 3.5.1.  I have a fair amount of confidence that the USB features you are not enjoying now should show up in the next system upgrade. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work otherwise.

Incidentally, I just posted another thread discussing another option I see that perhaps not everyone else sees - but I could be wrong. Do you see an option in the center console that allows you to see information about your hybrid drive? I put some pictures in the other thread.  (click on View New Content at the top of the forum).

Edited by Riddley

No, the orginal-adopters version does not have that nifty graphic, nor the combination time-temperature at the top, nor the mp3 pause functionality, nor, I suspect, an accurate GPS system.

We gave Ford all our money months ago and we want the nifty stuff now!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I have Sync 3.1.3 with the Sony stereo and listened to music from the USB for the first time this weekend.  Every time I returned to the car it started playing right where it had left off.

However, I did have occasional split seconds of silence.  I think that this was always shortly after starting the car.  My thought was that Sync was temporarily overwhelmed.  Possibly indexing the songs on the USB.

I have Sync 3.1.3 with the Sony stereo and listened to music from the USB for the first time this weekend.  Every time I returned to the car it started playing right where it had left off.

However, I did have occasional split seconds of silence.  I think that this was always shortly after starting the car.  My thought was that Sync was temporarily overwhelmed.  Possibly indexing the songs on the USB.

That's the way mine behaves too.

Were you able to pause the song, turn off the car, and it resume in the same place when you started the car?  This is the sequence I am unable to do successfully.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I was just turning off the car, but I just tested it and it worked if I pressed pause before turning off the car.  It knew which song and at what point it was at within that song.  It was just waiting for me to press play.

The surprising part was that it remembered what song it was on from Sunday and the USB has been out of the car since then.  It looks like it works great for songs. (m4a files from itunes in this case)

Thank you for that additional information.  I will try the m4a format, and a different USB drive, and see if I can get a pause to stick.  I also need to see if the music I have in the top USB drive will pause, as perhaps it has a problem with the bottom USB input where my audiobooks drive is located.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi