C-Max vs. Prius v.

ecodad

Now I know why Toyota designed the Prius to be soft and spongy with lackluster performance - that apparently is what hybrid owners want.

Others have told me, vocally, that they prefer their hybrids to feel "light" and "floaty," with one fellow reviewer telling me, very vocally, that he wants a hybrid to feel like it's "made of air and floating along the road." Which the Prius v definitely does. And when it comes to the soft whine of the Prius' engine, to some it sounds like the sweet sound of eco-living at its best. To me it's an annoying reminder of how hard the engine is working to get me up a hill. :hysterical:

New word for my Maxine - Hill Climber!!!!

Climbed all over the Malibu hills/canyon roads today - ilots of power but burnt some gas and sooooo sweet all the way down, no problem with tight turns, this baby can hug a curve which isn't too shaby for a FWD.  After today I am sooooooooo glad to have gotten that extra HP (as vs a Prii) to climb hills and steer and brilliant, brilliant views of the Pacific ocean.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I spent an hour yesterday hugging the Appalachian mountains of West and regular Virginia.  This car is what I would call sticky.  My last car was a Ford Ranger, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

I looked back several times to see a look of semi-horror on the faces of SUV-driving tailgaters behind me as they started to lose contact with the road.  I'm always amazed that people think you can drive a vehicle like that 20 MPH over the posted speed limit for a curve.

I spent an hour yesterday hugging the Appalachian mountains of West and regular Virginia.  This car is what I would call sticky.  My last car was a Ford Ranger, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

I looked back several times to see a look of semi-horror on the faces of SUV-driving tailgaters behind me as they started to lose contact with the road.  I'm always amazed that people think you can drive a vehicle like that 20 MPH over the posted speed limit for a curve.

Ha....thats like people in LA still sriving 15+ speed above the limits on road that are slick from the rare rain we get here in LA...and they wonder why they spin. One time on a on-ramp to the 14 freeway, this small SUV spun 360 right in front of me - luckily I was in no hurry. Silly woman, fools don't know the road and sometimes these people do get their license from a Kellogs Cornflake packet... :hysterical:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 1 month later...

I see that Car and Driver has tested the Prius V again and this time around, they only got 31 MPG versus the 32 they got with the C-Max hybrid. They also recorded lower skidpad speed and identical braking distance to the C-Max. That's interesting because in the C-Max review they mention a previously tested Prius V that got 35 MPG and had better skidpad and braking performance than the C-Max. The C-Max still outperforms the Prius V by a wide margin when it comes to acceleration and the subjective "fun to drive" factor. So the only category where the Prius V prevails is in cargo capacity?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-toyota-prius-v-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-test-review