What to do before driving away from dealership?

HPRifleman

I will be picking up my new C-Max from the dealer this week. Is there anything I should remember to do before driving away? Any settings that should be reset? Any questions the dealer should answer? Any information that only the dealer can provide?

Has anyone picked up their car and wished they remembered something before they left?

Make sure the metal keys are in your remote if you're getting an SEL.  Some people haven't gotten them and if the battery dies, you can't get in the car without the metal key.

Try to make sure the NAV system has the latest software and the latest maps.  Typically car makers try to pawn off old maps then you have to cough up $100 for up to date maps.

I will be picking up my new C-Max from the dealer this week. Is there anything I should remember to do before driving away? Any settings that should be reset? Any questions the dealer should answer? Any information that only the dealer can provide?

Has anyone picked up their car and wished they remembered something before they left?

Make sure you get everything on the invoice, especially items marked "DLR INSTALLED".

Mobility kit (air compressor) under passenger seat.

Any cosmetic damage, dings, chips.

All owners manuals.

Have fun with your new car, they are great!

Check to make sure you have the plastic piece that you can use to divide/reduce the opening size of your front cup holder.  It should be in a plastic bag in the console storage compartment.  This has been missing in many cars.

Ask the dealer to show you where the spare tire, jack and tools are stored :)  When the dealer tells you that the C-Max does not have any of these and instead has just the tire mobility kit you will avoid my experience of first learning about this fact on this forum.

Make sure they are sending you home w a full gas tank.

Have them show you how to sync your phone w the car.

Check to make sure you have the plastic piece that you can use to divide/reduce the opening size of your front cup holder.  It should be in a plastic bag in the console storage compartment.  This has been missing in many cars.

What does that look like?  I think my C-Max may have come without it.

You probably want to reset the 'Lifetime' statistics before driving off, in case the car has poor MPG due to any test drives. That way you have only yourself to blame for bad numbers, or praise for good ones.

On the Left multi-display, go to Settings -> Display -> Lifetime Settings, then hold the OK button for a few seconds to reset everything.

For that matter, you might also want to reset Trip 1 & 2. (I reset Trip 2 every time I fill with gas, and Trip 1 at the beginning of various trips.)

What does that look like?  I think my C-Max may have come without it.

When you put it in place, it looks like a divider for the cup holder.  Before that it's hard to tell what it is.

Take a look at the thread

Can't Figure it out!   in general discussion     Started by pkay, Feb 25 2013 06:03 PM

There are some pictures posted in this thread.

You probably want to reset the 'Lifetime' statistics before driving off, in case the car has poor MPG due to any test drives. That way you have only yourself to blame for bad numbers, or praise for good ones.

On the Left multi-display, go to Settings -> Display -> Lifetime Settings, then hold the OK button for a few seconds to reset everything.

For that matter, you might also want to reset Trip 1 & 2. (I reset Trip 2 every time I fill with gas, and Trip 1 at the beginning of various trips.)

I was going to ask this elsewhere, but since you have provided such a good description of how to do a lifetime rest can you tell me all the things that are reset when you do a lifetime reset?

I think mpg, EV miles, regen miles and brake score (plus MPGe and kwh in the Energi) get reset.  I don't think miles driven gets reset because the master odometer is required to show the total miles for the vehicle.

I have not done a lifetime reset on my car.  I now have 5,100 miles on my odometer.  When I got my car it had about 130 miles on the odometer.  If I had done a lifetime reset on my car when I took possession from my dealer, I think my odometer would still read 5,100 miles and but my lifetime mpg, EV miles, regen miles and brake score would have been zeroed out when I did the reset and would now include only what had accrued from my driving since I took possession (i.e., the 4,970 miles from 130 when I got my car to the 5,100 on the odometer today).

When you put it in place, it looks like a divider for the cup holder.  Before that it's hard to tell what it is.

Take a look at the thread

Can't Figure it out!   in general discussion     Started by pkay, Feb 25 2013 06:03 PM

There are some pictures posted in this thread.

There's also another thread, "Mystery Black Plastic Thing in Cupholder" under the General category.

I went out to my car to see if it might be hiding somewhere, but alas, it was nowhere to be found.  One thing I *did* notice though, as I was scrounging around -- the rear-seat floor 'secret' compartment on the driver's side is actually *two* (2) little compartments.

And while we're talking about 'doohickies'...

I take my car through one of those carwashes that has the rolling brushes and the hanging 'french-fries' (as my young daughter once called them), and I was concerned about the stubby little stick antenna on the roof.  I found out, on another Ford Escape Hybrid forum (what I had before I bought the C-Max), that the cars come from the factory with a cap screwed into the hole where the antenna screws in.  So I went to my Ford dealer and asked about getting one, and he said, "Sure!  We just throw them away anyway."  It's black plastic, about 1" in diameter, with the threads on one side to screw into that hole, and it looks kind of like a tiddley-wink.  Now when I go through the carwash I unscrew the antenna and replace it with the cap, so water doesn't get into the hole.

Bet not too many people have one of *those*!

post-514-0-28660100-1364765354_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ask the dealer to show you where the spare tire, jack and tools are stored :)  When the dealer tells you that the C-Max does not have any of these and instead has just the tire mobility kit you will avoid my experience of first learning about this fact on this forum.

Make sure they are sending you home w a full gas tank.

Have them show you how to sync your phone w the car.

I didn't get any plastic piece for the cupholder, I'll have to check on this.  Wasn't aware there was such a thing...thanks

There's also another thread, "Mystery Black Plastic Thing in Cupholder" under the General category.

I went out to my car to see if it might be hiding somewhere, but alas, it was nowhere to be found.  One thing I *did* notice though, as I was scrounging around -- the rear-seat floor 'secret' compartment on the driver's side is actually *two* (2) little compartments.

And while we're talking about 'doohickies'...

I take my car through one of those carwashes that has the rolling brushes and the hanging 'french-fries' (as my young daughter once called them), and I was concerned about the stubby little stick antenna on the roof.  I found out, on another Ford Escape Hybrid forum (what I had before I bought the C-Max), that the cars come from the factory with a cap screwed into the hole where the antenna screws in.  So I went to my Ford dealer and asked about getting one, and he said, "Sure!  We just throw them away anyway."  It's black plastic, about 1" in diameter, with the threads on one side to screw into that hole, and it looks kind of like a tiddley-wink.  Now when I go through the carwash I unscrew the antenna and replace it with the cap, so water doesn't get into the hole.

Bet not too many people have one of *those*!

mystery stuff sometimes does drop into the car. my BMW had a nice German screwdriver under the seat - it was a good find!

I've never had a navigation system and I understand that the maps are on a memory card. How do I confirm that I have the latest when I pick up my car?

As JAZ said, you should get the memory card package which states what version you have.  Also while there, you should be asked to sign up on syncmyride.com  On that website, you can check what versions of firmware and maps are loaded in the car.