Sync Update Procedure

Does anyone know how to perform the Synch updates with a My Ford Touch vehicle?

Ford's instructions are just wrong.  In short, it says:

1. Download the Status Checker to a USB drive.
  2. Stick the USB drive in your car.
  3. Press the AUX button and select SYNC line in.

What frigging AUX button?  Can't find it.  Video screen shows a "USB In" selection but that doesn't work either.

Edited by jmckinley

I don't see where these procedures talk about an auxiliary button anywhere in the steps.  But of course I haven't tried the procedures.

Insert the USB drive containing the update. Don't remove your USB drive until the installation is complete.

The installation should begin automatically.

In the event that the installation does not begin automatically, you can perform a Master Reset of your system.

Just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service. They have no idea when 3.5.1 will be released for existing C-Max owners. They were not even aware that 3.5.1 was currently shipping on existing C-Maxes. I formally registered my dissatisfaction with the system lockups and reboots and the CR rep said it would be noted in my call.

I was told when(if) 3.51 does become available for existing customers it will show on your syncmyride portal. Ford Customer Service has no information beyond what is posted there.

So unless you want to call Ford Customer Service to register a complaint its a complete waste of time.

Yes, and it's also my understanding that the owner's will have to update to 3.5.1 per the procedures above.  If the owner's want the dealer to do the update, the dealer will likely charge for it.

They've never charged for it in the past.  My parents got their 2011 Ford Explorer updated for free.

Ford would likely instruct the dealers whether updates to Sync software should be installed free. It's obvious that sync updates are intended to be user installed much like one installs software updates on a PC, phone and so forth.   Many times when a car is taken in for service, the dealer may check for sync updates and install them for free.   Generally though, unless a TSB is issued and the customer has the problem the TSB fixes, software updates are not automatically included under a manufacturer's 3/36 B2B warranty.  Per the Ford Warranty.

During the Bumper to Bumper Warranty period, dealers may receive
instructions to provide no-cost, service-type improvements - not
originally included in your Owner’s Manual - intended to increase your
overall satisfaction with your vehicle

Ford would likely instruct the dealers whether updates to Sync software should be installed free. It's obvious that sync updates are intended to be user installed much like one installs software updates on a PC, phone and so forth.   Many times when a car is taken in for service, the dealer may check for sync updates and install them for free.   Generally though, unless a TSB is issued and the customer has the problem the TSB fixes, software updates are not automatically included under a manufacturer's 3/36 B2B warranty.  Per the Ford Warranty.

If this is the case, then expect a 199.00 extra charge for the A4 map chip since the vaporware 3.5.1 invalidates the A3 map set for navigation. they try and charge and that will be the final nail in the coffin on this car, it will hit the used car lot faster then a SR71 flying coast to coast in the US

If this is the case, then expect a 199.00 extra charge for the A4 map chip since the vaporware 3.5.1 invalidates the A3 map set for navigation. they try and charge and that will be the final nail in the coffin on this car, it will hit the used car lot faster then a SR71 flying coast to coast in the US

Ford Dealer firmware installation was mentioned as an option by the Ford Customer Service Rep I spoke with yesterday. Since known usability issues with the Sync system are addressed I would not expect Ford to charge anything to fix their bugs.

This should be covered under the Sync Warranty mentioned in this article;

Due to a slew of consumer complaints and poor reviews from various media outlets, Ford will be upgrading its MyFord Touch system and extended the warranty by two years. The current touchscreenicon1.png infotainment system has been dubbed “version 3.5″ by the Blue Oval boys with major improvements seen in voice recognition and navigation. The first rounds of updates are slated to arrive on Dec. 10. An update for the navigational system is due out sometime early next year. This upgrade will be available to more than 1 million Ford owners.

“We’re thinking more and more like not only a car company, but a technology company,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s head of the Americas to Automotiveicon1.png News. “It’s very important to update the vehicles on a more frequent basis particularly around software and applications.”

Ford has already attempted to quell customer complaints with an upgrade to MyFord Touch back in March of this year. Unfortunately for the Dearborn-based automaker, the upgrade still received poor reviews. Owners can request a USB drive from Ford to perform the system upgrade on their own or take it to a local dealer. Ford gave us a copy of the software upgrade to do on our own earlier this year and said it would only take a few minutes. After 90 minutes of waiting, we ended up having to bring it into a local dealer to remedy the situation. To Ford’s credit though, the system worked flawlessly after the dealer upgraded our tester’s system.

http://blogs.automotive.com/ford-to-upgrade-myford-touch-system-extend-warranty-by-two-years-120119.html#ixzz2PmtGFGyc 

I'm pretty sure I read in a press release when Ford announced the extended warranty that Ford will be "sending out" the update to those without navigation.  Does this mean a couple $ USB memory stick sent to the consumer or a letter with instructions on how to download and install the update. This would save Ford a lot of money vs a paying the dealer to update. I can see why Ford extended the warranty on MFT and will pay dealers to install this update given the bad publicity but I wouldn't count on this forever especially for trivial updates. 

Has anyone seen a copy of the "MFT warranty" referred to in the quoted press articles? Those that already have 3.5 installed from the factory, did Ford provide an addendum to your warranty information when you purchased the vehicle specifically extending the MFT warranty?   I searched a while back for a specific warranty on MFT when I first had the clock problem and couldn't find one.  There's a license agreement for the MFT and navigation but I couldn't find a specific warranty for MFT.  The only thing relevant that I found is what I quoted above in the basic warranty.  This will allow Ford to determines what constitutes "service-type improvements and choose whether to pay the dealer to provide such free of charge.

BTW, I haven't had the clock issue on my non-nav MFT since I turned off auto update of my phone book (where's the wood to knock on). :)

When they sent out the 3.0.2 update, they sent out USB drives and Nav cards for free. Users also had the choice to install themselves, or take it to a dealer.

I have never heard of a single instance of someone being charged for installation of a MFT update.  Also, they extended the warranty of MFT to 5 years, going beyond the normal vehicle warranty of 3 years.  

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/myford-touch-getting-second-update-extended-warranty/