I know it's only going to get better!

Manticore

You got it at just the right time Manticore. You missed the cold northern winter. You're right, it IS only going to get better. Congrats on your new ride, and welcome to the forum. There is a ton of info here, so take your time, read, learn, ask questions. We're a friendly group and love to talk up our cars!

You got it at just the right time Manticore. You missed the cold northern winter. You're right, it IS only going to get better. Congrats on your new ride, and welcome to the forum. There is a ton of info here, so take your time, read, learn, ask questions. We're a friendly group and love to talk up our cars!

Well, u could move to Manhattan Beach....there are some properties for sale there u know....nothing like driving along there in your Prii  :)

OP - awesome, your car is so new, the wax on the leather is not even polished in yet....enjoy the car, forget the MPGs and just  :shift:

Well, u could move to Manhattan Beach....there are some properties for sale there u know....nothing like driving along there in your Prii  :)

I can just imagine the ones you are talking about. Dude, we don't make that kind of money. Besides, where would I put my vegetable garden?  :headscratch:

Been poking around and found a couple of tips.  I also read a post refering to some battery issue but I was unable to find out what the issue was.

I know we are all rolling the dice buying a first year model car, but I've had a good feeling about this car since I bought it.  Call it intuition if you must, but I've learned to listen to mine and it has served me well for many years.  I sure hope it's right this time as the more I drive the C-Max the more I like it.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Prius or Honda. Now if I can only find out about this battery issue...

Hello everyone. Just wanna find out if C-Max overall situation on MPGs are getting better as most of you all have been driving for a few miles now and we are heading to a warmer weather. I wanted to buy one and pretty disturbed with the comments I read on every blogs allover the net, except 1 or 2. I actually never knew about the MPG claim disparity until the salesman assigned forewarned me that I may see some bad blogs about the C Max. The dealer in our area have lend us one since yesterday and so far between me and my wife's, are only getting 34.6 mpg after driving over about 120 miles total (mostly highway- and even driving cautiously at 60-65mph). It's unbelievably fun to drive but the MPG is pretty disappointing.  Is this what C-Max should be expected? The dealer already found the model exactly how we want it equipped, but now we are having second thoughts as we are looking for at least 40. Is this expectation achievable in real world driving? We have to make a decision by Saturday so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone. Just wanna find out if C-Max overall situation on MPGs are getting better as most of you all have been driving for a few miles now and we are heading to a warmer weather. I wanted to buy one and pretty disturbed with the comments I read on every blogs allover the net, except 1 or 2. I actually never knew about the MPG claim disparity until the salesman assigned forewarned me that I may see some bad blogs about the C Max. The dealer in our area have lend us one since yesterday and so far between me and my wife's, are only getting 34.6 mpg after driving over about 120 miles total (mostly highway- and even driving cautiously at 60-65mph). It's unbelievably fun to drive but the MPG is pretty disappointing.  Is this what C-Max should be expected? The dealer already found the model exactly how we want it equipped, but now we are having second thoughts as we are looking for at least 40. Is this expectation achievable in real world driving? We have to make a decision by Saturday so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

As one who has almost 12,000 mile on the CMax, I have been getting consistently > 40MPGs since the day I got it - even when I drive from the San Fernando valley to Mammoth Lake for our ski trips (round trip 570 miles with an elevation change of 500 ft to about 7,200 ft) and with the car FULL LOADED, I still average 40MPG or better. When its not loaded, I've done 600+ miles a the tank 5 times  and tomorrow I'll clock another one. Do the math - which means I am getting more than the Ford stated 47/47 MPG average. My work as an appraiser means I drive in ALL the terrain in the Los Angeles and Ventura county here in CA and it ain't flat but we do have consistently good weather.

So I, for one, can state Ford more than delivered me a 47+ MPG car.

Now as you are from Ohio where it is more consistently colder due to some recent weather storms that swept the north east, the MPGs from the posters there (check out Adair), the MPGs have been more mid to high 30s MPGs. However, from what I am hearing, CMax drivers in Ohio are now seeing > 40 MPGs even with the slight warming temperatures.

Take a look at some of the threads here recently from drivers from the north east, including MI and Ohio: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/forum/16-fuel-mileage/

You are always welcome to ask any question but alot of has been asked. 

Now, we are all owner-drivers here (some are dying to be owners as well when they are waiting for their CMax to arrive)...and we do ACTUAL driving so our testament to the Ford CMax, imo, would weigh more than someone who has the car for a day or a week and then shoots off their blog about a car they have NO SKIN in the game. 

Do we  :wub2:  our car ? You betcha and most of us probably think its the best thing since sliced cheese....I know, I do  :rockon:

Happy Reading and oh, Welcome to the forum  :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Hi Jedi,

I'm the *Adair* that Jus-A-CMax refers to above. I live near Ann Arbor, MI. I got my C-Max in late November 2012 and have driven it all winter, thru temps from the single digits to the 20s and 30s. My mileage has been in the mid-to upper 30s until the last 2 tanks. I have nearly 5,000 miles on the car, and the weather is moderating. The last tank was 40mpg and this one, when I fill up today, will be 43 or 44mpg for the tank. On individual trips to/from work, about 20 miles each way, I get anywhere from 46-56 mpg. My Fuelly numbers below will show a lower number, because it is the AVERAGE from the beginning, but that # will consistently climb now. 

There is so much I love about the car. Go back and read some of my posts, and feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome to the Forum, happy reading, and let us know what your choice is tomorrow.

Edited by Adair

I had to go to a meeting across town yesterday. It's about 20 miles of mixed driving and I averaged 49.1 for the trip. I have been averaging 47 (+ or - a couple of points) on my drives to and from work 35 miles one way 32 freeway miles at 65 and 3 city streets ever since it warmed up. :)  1300 miles on her now and still breaking in.

My boss has a Prius and is bragging that he is getting 55 to 58 in it now that it has warmed up. :rant2: Whatever!!!. Maybe I should challenge him to a race. ha ha ha.....

I have also noticed improved mileage as the temperature is warmer.  I was able to maintain a ~39 mpg throughout the winter and now the average has increased to 42.  I have noticed frequent trips where the trip mileage would be in the high 40's-low 50's.  Common on spring/summer.  Love it when I have a trip mileage in the 50's :happy feet:

but now we are having second thoughts as we are looking for at least 40. Is this expectation achievable in real world driving? We have to make a decision by Saturday so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

In the warmer months, yes this is a reasonable expectation and once you learn the proper ways to drive a hybrid you can expect even better.  

My lead footed wife's commuter car is EPA rated at 36mpg hwy but she only gets 29-30mpg.  The car is only 1/2 of the efficiency equation.

My boss has a Prius and is bragging that he is getting 55 to 58 in it now that it has warmed up. :rant2: Whatever!!!. Maybe I should challenge him to a race. ha ha ha.....

John, you just have to remember that our C-Maxes are more "fun" to drive. :happy feet:

You might want to remind him he has an EPA rated midsize car while yours is a nicer built, roomier, faster, more powerful, EPA classified large size car with more features.  In a nice way, remember he is your boss!  :)

Thanks Adair, I wasn't positioned to buy another car until late March of this year so when it came time I started looking.

I grew up and lived in the San Fernando Valley where Jus-A-CMax is located.  I moved to New England when I was 23 and after 39 years I still miss that So Cal weather.

I think I'm going to enjoy my time here on the forum, again Thanks.

jedi50, I'm new to the forum this week as I just purchased my C-Max last Saturday.  I'm on my first tank of gas with under 400 miles on the car and I'm averaging 41 mpg. 

Like C-MAXER said "The car is only 1/2 of the efficiency equation."  This is very true.  Most folks think they have good driving habits, I thought I did, but they tend to be fairly heavy footed.  I discovered this about 7 years ago when I bought a Scangage for my 2005 Colorado Pickup in an effort to squeeze every mile I could out of a tank of gas.  I was amazed at how heavy footed I was but I quickly was able to change my driving habits.  This has made it very easy for me to achieve 41 mpg average on my first tank in the new C-Max.  Listen to all the posters on here as they have more time with their cars than I do, but I can assure you the high mpg's are there if you are willing to adjust your driving habits.

Congratulations Manticore! My intuition was talking very loud and clear when I was shopping for my Max too.  I've had mine for almost 2 months and I love it.  I have no regrets!  In fact I didn't even have regrets giving up my Jeep to get the Max.  

Thanks bsmax, the only way I can explain it is that when I sat in the C-Max it just felt like home.  I traded my 2003 Saturn Vue V6 AWD in on the the C-Max.  I was getting 21 mpg with the Saturn, ocassionally 22 mpg so I'm loving the C-Max at over 40 mpg on my first tank.

Cmaxer I think he knows have the better car and he just wants to try to get me going. I test drove a Prius and DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. As soon as I drove the C Max I knew it was the better car no matter what the A@#$#^ at consumer reports and my administrator say. I managed 49.1 mpg yesterday in the rain. Can't  beat that. :wub2:

FWIW, just returned from a long journey down south of over 3,500 miles with the Hybrid carrying a total of about 700 lbs. (don't forget:  maximum for passengers and cargo is 825!).  Reported mpg was 37.8.  I drove mostly as I would have a non-hybrid and did not hypermile other than a few instances where slowdowns were inevitable, and used ECO Cruise almost all the time.  Temps ranged from 20s to 80s and I used air and heat to maintain comfort, though no extremes.  Along one ideal stretch of several miles in Florida's panhandle (flat, smooth and sheltered by tall trees on both sides) I recorded about 37.5 mpg at a steady 70 mph.  That seems quite decent to me given the speed and cargo I was carrying.  EV is not really part of the picture at those speeds and long fast drives will lower the mpgs.   I've found it's the non-freeway at lower speeds that really pushes up the mpgs.

High point was about a 30 mile drive entering and crossing Houston on one of its many freeways in heavy traffic where I achieved 48 mpg (50-60 mph).  Low point was leaving Houston over much the same route in a heavy downpour (45-50mph) where the average was only 30.  Surfing is not the C-MAX's forte.

It seems obvious to me that given identical situations any of the Prii will out-mpg the Max, but that is only one of many criteria we all must weigh in the decision to purchase.

The MAX served us very well on the trip and I'm quite pleased with it.  Built on 2-7-13 it has the 3.5.1 version and the lady in the dashboard kept us on our planned routes and side trips with no errors through the 14 states we visited.

Prior to the trip did over 30 miles on one of Detroit's freeways in temps slightly above freezing and scored 52 mpg, so it seems not only YMMV, but YMMV greatly.

Edited by JAZ

FWIW, just returned from a long journey down south of over 3,500 miles with the Hybrid carrying a total of about 700 lbs. (don't forget:  maximum for passengers and cargo is 825!).  Reported mpg was 37.8.  I drove mostly as I would have a non-hybrid and did not hypermile other than a few instances where slowdowns were inevitable, and used ECO Cruise almost all the time.  Temps ranged from 20s to 80s and I used air and heat to maintain comfort, though no extremes.  Along one ideal stretch of several miles in Florida's panhandle (flat, smooth and sheltered by tall trees on both sides) I recorded about 37.5 mpg at a steady 70 mph.  That seems quite decent to me given the speed and cargo I was carrying.  EV is not really part of the picture at those speeds and long fast drives will lower the mpgs.   I've found it's the non-freeway at lower speeds that really pushes up the mpgs.

High point was about a 30 mile drive entering and crossing Houston on one of its many freeways in heavy traffic where I achieved 48 mpg (50-60 mph).  Low point was leaving Houston over much the same route in a heavy downpour (45-50mph) where the average was only 30.  Surfing is not the C-MAX's forte.

It seems obvious to me that given identical situations any of the Prii will out-mpg the Max, but that is only one of many criteria we all must weigh in the decision to purchase.

The MAX served us very well on the trip and I'm quite pleased with it.  Built on 2-7-13 it has the 3.5.1 version and the lady in the dashboard kept us on our planned routes and side trips with no errors through the 14 states we visited.

Prior to the trip did over 30 miles on one of Detroit's freeways in temps slightly above freezing and scored 52 mpg, so it seems not only YMMV, but YMMV greatly.

I didn't ever consider a Prius since I would not buy a Toyota, so I didn't bother to test drive a Prius.  Perhaps a Prius can out-mgp a C-Max, but can a Prius get up and go if you get into the throttle like the C-Max will?  It's nice to drive a hybrid that has good performance if you want to get into it a bit.  I ask because I've never driven a Prius and don't how how they will perform if you get on the throttle a bit.

Update:  I just read on another thread that the Prius has 54 less Horsepower than a C-Max.  I would think 54 less HP would make for some rather spleeny performance at best, and be a downright sloth at worst.

Edited by Manticore

Jed we have had our SEL C-Max since the end of November and we love it.  We live in Vancouver, British Columbia which has a much milder climate than Ohio (we get very little snow here, and only experience brief periods with temperatures that go below -4 C).  From our experience if you will be disappointed with mileage of less than 40 US mpg in the winter, then likely the C-Max won't be the car for you.  We basically knew that when we bought the car from doing research about hybrids so it was not disappointing to us.  The other features of the car such as wonderful horse power and acceleration when you need it, comfortable interior, high seat position and good visibility, quietness in the interior, good storage, and all the excellent technology more than make up for lower mileage in the winter.  If you aren't familiar with driving a hybrid and don't want to modify your driving habits to achieve better mileage then it likely isn't the car for you.  It was a learning curve for us to learn how to get the best out of the car--such as gradual even stopping versus racing up to the light and stopping, steady even take off at lights and then easing back to get into EV mode.  Some of those things don't sit well with certain drivers, but we have found that it is critical for getting good mileage.  I would say from my experience you do have to drive differently and thoughtfully to get good mileage.  I know many find that they can drive it like any other car and get good mileage, but I don't really find that.  It is a car where you have to think about driving and you can't just do it by rote like in other cars.  My husband and I find that to be interesting and challenging, but it is not for everyone.   Our mileage is steadily improving now that temperatures are warming up--right now it averaging about 10-13C--and we are meeting the EPA standards most drives now.  But we sure do notice how poor the mileage is until the car warms up. But if you have a figure in your head that you always expect concerning mileage, then you will be disappointed.  I had no experience driving a hybrid, but I would say that this is the first car that I have ever bought that I truly love. It is almost like driving around in a computer game LOL  When I come in the door my husband will ask me "what mileage did you get?" and I always ask him the same.  We try to best one another.  I got 2.5 L per 100km the other day driving mostly downhill and he was oh so envious (that is 94 mpg US) LOL.  Good luck in making your big decision.

Laurel - excellent post! Well said  :)

I didn't ever consider a Prius since I would not buy a Toyota, so I didn't bother to test drive a Prius.  Perhaps a Prius can out-mgp a C-Max, but can a Prius get up and go if you get into the throttle like the C-Max will?  It's nice to drive a hybrid that has good performance if you want to get into it a bit.  I ask because I've never driven a Prius and don't how how they will perform if you get on the throttle a bit.

Update:  I just read on another thread that the Prius has 54 less Horsepower than a C-Max.  I would think 54 less HP would make for some rather spleeny performance at best, and be a downright sloth at worst.

I dunno about that, I have driven my neighbours' 2010 Prius and was not at all impress with its mileage and I used it to for my appraisal runs (like I do now with my CMax, going over the same terrain).

May be if I became a Prius hypermiler I could extract more but the range really let me down to a point where I thought I had enuf gas but cruising to the fuel pumps on fumes...scared me as it was not my car.  :wub2:​  my neighbours though, great people who bailed me out more than a few times  :rockon:  

You will love the summer mpg in these cars! Winter is notorious for dragging down fuel economy in hybrids. Well, all vehicles really but in hybrids we tend to notice it more because a 10% loss at 47mpg looks a lot larger than at 18mpg even those the percentage is the same.

If you can restrain yourself from blasting the A/C system at max you will be rewarded with excellent fuel economy during the summer for the following reasons:

1. Rolling resistance in tires decreases dramatically as temps rise into the 80s and 90s.

2. Warm up times decrease. This is a huge benefit for those making short trips.

3. Air density decreases which is good for high speed driving.

3. You don't need to use the heater or defroster.

During the summer I tend to leave the A/C off and instead use the flow through method. Crack the driver side window about 4"-8" and crack the rear passenger side window 2"-4". That is enough to allow air to flow through the car and cool things down somewhat. If you can run your vents without the A/C that helps too. If it gets too hit and you are really serious about mpg, simply use the flow through method but roll the driver side window down completely and stick your arm out so that air flows through your shirts arm hole. lol For serious hypermiling only.

On shorter trips, the A/C can put a serious dent in fuel economy!